Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

NSW Police and hand held speed gun

NSW Police and hand held speed gun

Old Dec 25th 2010, 11:09 am
Just Joined

albundy has a spectacular aura aboutalbundy has a spectacular aura aboutalbundy has a spectacular aura about
Default NSW Police and hand held speed gun

Hey Guys,

Thought I'd ask this question here, done a quick search but couldn't find the answer anywhere else.

Does anyone know if the NSW Police can issue a speeding ticket from a hand held speed gun or whether they have to pull you over?

I passed a parked police car with the policeman leaning out of the window with his speed gun pointing back the way I'd just come. I'd been doing about 140k in a 110 zone.

He didn't follow me or pull me over... reckon I'm off the hook or should I be awaiting a letter from the RTA?

Thanks in advance

Simon
Old Dec 25th 2010, 11:24 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: NSW Police and hand held speed gun

You have to be pulled over if it's a handheld gun as you recieve your ticket on the spot. If it was a money making stationary automatic speed camera well that's different
Old Dec 25th 2010, 6:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

kimandken will become famous soon enoughkimandken will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by albundy
Hey Guys,

Thought I'd ask this question here, done a quick search but couldn't find the answer anywhere else.

Does anyone know if the NSW Police can issue a speeding ticket from a hand held speed gun or whether they have to pull you over?

I passed a parked police car with the policeman leaning out of the window with his speed gun pointing back the way I'd just come. I'd been doing about 140k in a 110 zone.

He didn't follow me or pull me over... reckon I'm off the hook or should I be awaiting a letter from the RTA?

Thanks in advance

Simon
Fair chance the letter will be in the mail
Old Dec 25th 2010, 7:19 pm
Just Joined

brandon_ is an unknown quantity at this point

No clue, what happens in NSW, but, i'm almost sure that these speed guns do not show you're car's information. If you're going 140 clicks, the police officer sure isn't going to have time to write down your license plate number. I'd reckon you're safe.
Old Dec 25th 2010, 8:47 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brandon_
I'd reckon you're safe.
unlike the driving
Old Dec 25th 2010, 8:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
unlike the driving
Old Dec 25th 2010, 9:58 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

You are free and clear -relax!
Old Dec 26th 2010, 7:37 am
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately I agree that you probably got away with it. But doing 140 in 110 is downright bloody ridiculous. Do you fancy yourself as Lewis Hamilton or something? I hope they get you next time before you hit something and hurt someone or worse.
Old Dec 26th 2010, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

James516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud of

I wouldn't be too sure. I've been done by mobile speed cameras in Qld without being pulled over - got pinged doing 71 in a 60 zone.
Old Dec 26th 2010, 9:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ponyrama
Unfortunately I agree that you probably got away with it. But doing 140 in 110 is downright bloody ridiculous. Do you fancy yourself as Lewis Hamilton or something? I hope they get you next time before you hit something and hurt someone or worse.
I am guessing that a speed limit of 110k is a freeway and in any event if you hit someone at the speed limit you would kill then anyway. In loved being in Europe this year, where you can travel fast. However probably safer than here as the drivers know what they are doing and are generally more aware of other drivers and conditions. Thought nothing of doing 150k with no one undertaking and no trucks in the outside lanes
Old Dec 26th 2010, 10:09 pm
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hebe
I am guessing that a speed limit of 110k is a freeway and in any event if you hit someone at the speed limit you would kill then anyway. In loved being in Europe this year, where you can travel fast. However probably safer than here as the drivers know what they are doing and are generally more aware of other drivers and conditions. Thought nothing of doing 150k with no one undertaking and no trucks in the outside lanes
And the roads there are made and maintained for traffic to travel at those speeds. Here they are not and if the limit is 110 its for a reason. The standard of the roads here, plus the fact you have merging traffic constantly, most are only two lanes and most drivers here will pull out on you without checking mirrors first - makes even 110 pretty hairy at times.

I agree at that speed the result would probably be death - but I was trying not to be a pessimist.
Old Dec 27th 2010, 12:38 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hebe
The roads in many European countries are far better for driving I agree and thus able to reasonably support higher limits. The standard of driving in Australia is simply woeful by comparison (with the exception of when it rains and every BMW driver in Europe suddenly morphing into Schumacher and wanting to sit in the outside lane doing light-speed).

But we're not talking about momentary lapse in concentration here, or not being aware of the limit on the road. It's 30 kph past the speed limit. 3 month ban for bring a tw*t.

Couldn't care less if someone wants to kill themselves on a road, but it's the other people you take with you all because they somehow justify in their mind that it's ok to break the law because they know better. Tell that to the family of people that get scraped off the road on a weekly basis.
Old Dec 27th 2010, 2:35 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
The roads in many European countries are far better for driving I agree and thus able to reasonably support higher limits. The standard of driving in Australia is simply woeful by comparison (with the exception of when it rains and every BMW driver in Europe suddenly morphing into Schumacher and wanting to sit in the outside lane doing light-speed).

But we're not talking about momentary lapse in concentration here, or not being aware of the limit on the road. It's 30 kph past the speed limit. 3 month ban for bring a tw*t.

Couldn't care less if someone wants to kill themselves on a road, but it's the other people you take with you all because they somehow justify in their mind that it's ok to break the law because they know better. Tell that to the family of people that get scraped off the road on a weekly basis.
Old Dec 27th 2010, 4:02 am
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

I seen a similar police trap on the south bound lane of the M2 yesterday around 2pm, the patrol car was parked on the Beecroft bus lane off ramp (just before the tunnel) at a 60 degee angle with the driver hanging out the window holding a hand held speed device, he was parked in a dangerous place to pull around out into the oncoming traffic for a chase (see attached).
Attached Thumbnails NSW Police and hand held speed gun-example.jpg  
Old Dec 27th 2010, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

Did he look anything like this ?
Attached Thumbnails NSW Police and hand held speed gun-speed.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.