Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

NSW driving licence changes

NSW driving licence changes

Old Jan 18th 2005, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

wortho is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NSW driving licence changes

Just to advise that the RTA have made some changes and as of 17th Jan you no longer need to take Knowledge test if you hold a valid driving licence from certain countrys.

I did the driving test a few years ago but have now been able to transfer my UK motorcycle licence class over to my NSW licence.

"The recognition of licences from certain countries was agreed nationally and commenced in NSW on 20 May 2002. Customers were exempted from the practical car driving test if they held an acceptable licence from one of the recognised countries.. The exemption only applies to applicants for Class C (car) licences.
As from 17 January 2005 customers are exempt the car driver knowledge test if they hold an acceptable car licence from one of the recognised countries. It is recommended that these applicants read the Road Users' Handbook to familiarise themselves with the current road rules in NSW.
The RTA reserves the right to require customers to undertake a knowledge test or driving test, and may not issue a licence until it is satisfied that the overseas licence is valid." http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/...l_drivers.html

Last edited by wortho; Jan 18th 2005 at 9:06 am. Reason: add NSW
Old Jan 18th 2005, 10:24 am
Just Joined

jamieo70 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: NSW driving licence changes

Originally Posted by wortho
Just to advise that the RTA have made some changes and as of 17th Jan you no longer need to take Knowledge test if you hold a valid driving licence from certain countrys.

I did the driving test a few years ago but have now been able to transfer my UK motorcycle licence class over to my NSW licence.

"The recognition of licences from certain countries was agreed nationally and commenced in NSW on 20 May 2002. Customers were exempted from the practical car driving test if they held an acceptable licence from one of the recognised countries.. The exemption only applies to applicants for Class C (car) licences.
As from 17 January 2005 customers are exempt the car driver knowledge test if they hold an acceptable car licence from one of the recognised countries. It is recommended that these applicants read the Road Users' Handbook to familiarise themselves with the current road rules in NSW.
The RTA reserves the right to require customers to undertake a knowledge test or driving test, and may not issue a licence until it is satisfied that the overseas licence is valid." http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/...l_drivers.html
Cool, so I can now get a NSW license based on my UK car license without any tests or anything? How would I go about doing this?

Jamie
Old Jan 18th 2005, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Tass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to behold

OCH ! Typical !! We moved beginning of November and sat our tests 2 weeks later ! Should have waited a bit longer 'cause then I imagine you don't have to pay for the test , only the licence . Does it have a longer expiry date then ? The NSW one , the new NSW one ?

Tass.
Old Jan 18th 2005, 12:47 pm
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Nice one......thanks for that....... I wasn't looking forward to any sort of test having passed the UK one ** years ago !!

The Recognised Countries list is interesting - if only for the countries which are not recognised! My experience of driving in Sydney, mind you, is that they all aim in your direction, no matter where they learnt, or didn't learn, to drive.

Regards

Jim
Old Jan 18th 2005, 12:48 pm
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jamieo70
Cool, so I can now get a NSW license based on my UK car license without any tests or anything? How would I go about doing this?

Jamie
Jamie

Page 2 of the link - What Happens Next - explains all.

Regards

Jim
Old Jan 18th 2005, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

Carol in Oz is an unknown quantity at this point

Goin out on a limb here guys but I dont see this as a plus at all! I just hope that you will at least get a road rule book and swat up for yourself the road rules here. The road rules vary from state to state and NO ONE knows what they are doing on a roundabout here!
Just saw a crash today - car wrapped around a lamppost, young girl trapped and not looking too good at all.

Take care out there
Carol in Oz

Old Jan 18th 2005, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

Jamie,
Just turn up at the RTA with your UK licence & credit card. Be aware that they will stamp your UK licence to say you have been issued with a NSW Licence.
Regards
Mark
Old Jan 18th 2005, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

Carol,
I agree it does seem a little strange that the RTA will issue a NSW licence without any previous knowledge of Australian road rules. The road rules here are very similar to the UK at least but i'm unsure of the other countrys that also qualify. One thing for UK drivers to look out for is the rule taught in the UK Mirror-signal-Manoeuvre, its rarely practised here & most drivers believe that once they indicate they then have right of way & will pull out even if your doing 110kmh along the freeway!!.
Its worth reading the road rules handbook & then carry out the demo of the knowledge test online to test yourself. http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/...est/index.html
Regards
Mark