Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Now we've got the visa, it's a bit of a chicken and egg situation

Wikiposts

Now we've got the visa, it's a bit of a chicken and egg situation

Old Jul 13th 2004, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

We promised our rellies we would stay for Christmas before we left. It was a complete let down! All we could think about was leaving and it was not like a proper Christmas anyway. It was very maudling knowing you are about to leave and trying to act all normal! Just food for thought for you.

If I had the option I would come out earlier, in November and just wing it. Expecting to have a great Xmas while staying with families does not always go together!

January and Dec are also busy times to get rentals and jobs etc, so you have a tricky decision to make.
Old Jul 13th 2004, 12:45 pm
owieb

I'd go with Tina; come out sooner rather than later and all together!

For me, moving to a new country was an amazing experience and it's something that (IMO) should be shared by all those going. Coming over in dribs and drabs and at different times takes away from the whole thrill of doing something new together.

You can do loads of research on the web for areas that you like then when you arrive make it a priority to go and look at them. A lot of people find somewhere to live very quickly and coming out November time will work in your favour, as already mentioned Dec/Jan is a very quiet (or busy depending on what you are trying to do!) time of year for getting anything done.

I don't get off on christmas, so wouldn't stay behind for it, but guess that is a very personal thing and something only you can decide.

Old Jul 13th 2004, 1:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future

If finding work is top priority on the list, best to fly out end of January. All together.

Very limited employment opportunites over holiday period From Dec to end of January.
Dont know why...they and we are all on the beach i suppose
Old Jul 13th 2004, 1:11 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Now we've got the visa, it's a bit of a chicken and egg situation

Originally posted by diddy

What did you all do and what do you think?

Thanks,

Paul.

All come out together once. You need info on Brissy suburbs? You're in the right place. Presumably as family with twins you want either three or 4 bed house with Pool. Avoid the innermost suburbs as these will be on smaller plots and you'll pay more for less. GO for next ring of suburbs or further out still, within 10-15km of CBD probablymost suitable. Want to know more about Western suburbs ask me, bayside then the Dagboys or ABC Diamond.

Use ourbrisbane.com to get initial feeling on suburbs. Use realestate.com.au to get prices for what you are after. Locate some cheap temporary accommodationor just take a 6 month rental anyway, you can move later and you don't need to worry about schools just yet if your twins are 3.

What's yuour hosuing budget?

Try this, reasonable if older house for $330/week, close to CBD, pool and granny flat for the MIL, near large shopping mall with cinemas, English (style) pub, trainline etc.:

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...=&fmt=&header=
Old Jul 13th 2004, 1:12 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

hi,

do you reckon that the job opportunities in november will be any good, as wondering whether we will have almost three months of not having any money and this is a real concern for us
Old Jul 13th 2004, 1:17 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

hi,

do you reckon that the job opportunities in november will be any good, as wondering whether we will have almost three months of not having any money and this is a real concern for us

Things slow down in run up to Christmas through to end of Jan. Noone wants to arrange interviews etc. during the 6 week school and Christmas holidays. Thinngs get staretd again about February, so either risk getting something in Nov, or come out, tkae a holiday and start in mid-late Jan.

By the way, this house looks good if your budget goes to $400/week:

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...=&fmt=&header=
Old Jul 13th 2004, 1:23 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Wow thanks Jayr that house looked fab. At the moment the twins are sharing the smallest possible room in the world and have a tiny garden to run in - it will be great to give them a better life.

if you have time could you tell me what western Brisssie is like - you see I went to Brisbane as a backpacker - however now as a mum of very lively twins I view things differently - ideally am looking for an area which has nuseries, mums and tots - maybe closish to a beach but not vital at the moment - also do you know if there are places such as indoor play places such as Wacky ware house - do you know if there are things for the under fives

Cheers
Diddy
Old Jul 13th 2004, 1:27 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

Wow thanks Jayr that house looked fab. At the moment the twins are sharing the smallest possible room in the world and have a tiny garden to run in - it will be great to give them a better life.

if you have time could you tell me what western Brisssie is like - you see I went to Brisbane as a backpacker - however now as a mum of very lively twins I view things differently - ideally am looking for an area which has nuseries, mums and tots - maybe closish to a beach but not vital at the moment - also do you know if there are places such as indoor play places such as Wacky ware house - do you know if there are things for the under fives

Cheers
Diddy

I cant work out how many pounds a week that is PAUl is the mathematical one in the family - me I look at the house and say that looks nice and then he says something like yeah in your dreams and goes on to show me something "with lots of potential" lol
Old Jul 13th 2004, 2:03 pm
Karma Comedian

If you have time could you tell me what western Brisssie is like - you see I went to Brisbane as a backpacker - however now as a mum of very lively twins I view things differently - ideally am looking for an area which has nuseries, mums and tots - maybe closish to a beach but not vital at the moment - also do you know if there are places such as indoor play places such as Wacky ware house - do you know if there are things for the under fives

Cheers
Diddy

There no "real" beaches at Brisbane, the shelter of the Moeton Bay Islands sees to that, however there are planty of coastal areas, with modest beaches such as Wyynum, Manly and up to Redcliffe (Deadcliffe). From Brisbane, however, it's just a one hour run to both the Gold and Sunshine Coasts for 'real' beaches on the ocean.

As a parent of three year old you will however find the city beach more than suitable at South Bank, the following link has the best photo of the beach I could find quickly:

http://www.australianexplorer.com/ph...bank_beach.htm

Wacky warehouses as such don't exist but there alternatives (i.e. without the pub attached)

Here's some outdoor activities:
http://www.ourbrisbane.com/visitors/...ntown_kids.htm

Lots and lots of parks in Brisbane, here's one of the newest:
http://www.sites.ourbrisbane.com/roc...side_park/home

There are loads of playgroups, toy libraries, kindies etc. Just go and join your nearest playgroup:

http://www.playgroupaustralia.com.au....php?state=qld

Lots of things like this Gymboree:

http://www.playandmusic.com/b2c/customer/home.jsp

Publications that you'll get in your mailbox or online:

http://www.brisbaneschild.com.au/

Arts stuff:

http://www.handsonart.org.au/Grownuppage/about.html

Various events:

http://www.ourbrisbane.com/whatson/e...hbutton=Search

Good toyshops:

http://www.kandkcreativetoys.com.au/

Places to have a coffee whilst the kids get creative:

http://www.lemonsqueezy.com.au/

General parenting resources:

http://www.qld.bubhub.com.au

And then the more obvious attractions like the theme parks
Old Jul 13th 2004, 2:12 pm
Karma Comedian

I cant work out how many pounds a week that is PAUl is the mathematical one in the family - me I look at the house and say that looks nice and then he says something like yeah in your dreams and goes on to show me something "with lots of potential" lol

Simple guide, multiply by 4 then divide by ten (i.e. take the 0 off the end)

So $400 x 4 =1600, drop the last zero = GBP160/week, or for a month that would be GBP640
Old Jul 13th 2004, 8:18 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

Thanks for the replies everyone.

This is all great advice and exactly what we were after.

Paul.
Old Jul 14th 2004, 9:58 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

Thanks for the replies everyone.

This is all great advice and exactly what we were after.

Paul.
Jayr

Thanks for all the info there is loads there for me to work through - you are a real star

thanks also for the way to convert the money - I know that it is important to know this stuff - I am just mathematically challenged
Old Jul 14th 2004, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

bamboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default get out of there!

hi paul,

take the bull by the horns and just go for it. dont live with the mil as i did for 3 months big mistake. with regards to spending another xmas in britain i know where i would rather be. we spent our first chrimbo here last year and it was a bit tearful on the phone but after that it was fine, we were swimming in the pool an dinner at the side of it. depends of what type of person u are. good luck with whatever u choose.

cats
Old Jul 14th 2004, 11:16 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

Default Re: get out of there!

Originally posted by bamboy
hi paul,

take the bull by the horns and just go for it. dont live with the mil as i did for 3 months big mistake. with regards to spending another xmas in britain i know where i would rather be. we spent our first chrimbo here last year and it was a bit tearful on the phone but after that it was fine, we were swimming in the pool an dinner at the side of it. depends of what type of person u are. good luck with whatever u choose.

cats
Hi,

Mainly wanting to take mil to help with the flights although starting to think that she might get more from it from seeing us there settled rather than leaving us all there a bit unsettled
Old Jul 14th 2004, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

bamboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default mil

yeah sounds like a good idea, but remember that goodbyes are always going to be hard no matter when u do it. just make the right choice for yourselves. it would be good to have the kids looked after while house hunting , we had to drag our 2 with us but they are 4 and 8 a bit older then yours. specially if u come in jan as it is really hot

cats

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.