Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Now we've got the visa, it's a bit of a chicken and egg situation

Wikiposts

Now we've got the visa, it's a bit of a chicken and egg situation

Old Jul 13th 2004, 3:08 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Now we've got the visa, it's a bit of a chicken and egg situation

Hi,

This is something my partner discussed last week, but could do with more advice.

We've now got our PR, but we're trying to figure out the logistics. Options are:

1. Mum-in-law has kids (three yr old twins) for a couple of weeks, whilst me and partner come out in Nov for a couple of weeks to sort out stuff and find a good suburd of Brissy. We then go home and move properly in Jan. Pro's - no hassle of kids for a couple of weeks and sort things out. Cons - Very expensive going twice.

2. As above, but I stay on in Oz and get job - Con - Christmas without family, and lost earnings from leaving job in UK early.

3. I come out on my own to sort things out in Jan and everyone else comes in Jan. Con - Partner doesn't see properties or area's we're gonna go to.

4. Just all go out in Nov or Jan and wing it. I wanna go sooner, but partner wants one last Xmas here.

What did you all do and what do you think?

Thanks,

Paul.
Old Jul 13th 2004, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all
Default Re: Now we've got the visa, it's a bit of a chicken and egg situation

Originally posted by diddy
Hi,

This is something my partner discussed last week, but could do with more advice.

We've now got our PR, but we're trying to figure out the logistics. Options are:

1. Mum-in-law has kids (three yr old twins) for a couple of weeks, whilst me and partner come out in Nov for a couple of weeks to sort out stuff and find a good suburd of Brissy. We then go home and move properly in Jan. Pro's - no hassle of kids for a couple of weeks and sort things out. Cons - Very expensive going twice.

2. As above, but I stay on in Oz and get job - Con - Christmas without family, and lost earnings from leaving job in UK early.

3. I come out on my own to sort things out in Jan and everyone else comes in Jan. Con - Partner doesn't see properties or area's we're gonna go to.

4. Just all go out in Nov or Jan and wing it. I wanna go sooner, but partner wants one last Xmas here.

Thanks,

Paul.
Paul
If it was me I would not be happy about the other half going alone and it won't be a nice christmas for the kids without their dad.

The other option of getting MIL to babysit would cost you a lot which you could put towards buying stuff when you get there.

Personally, I would wait until Jan then all go together, but that is just my opinion.
Old Jul 13th 2004, 3:15 am
earlswood

Originally posted by debsy
Paul
If it was me I would not be happy about the other half going alone and it won't be a nice christmas for the kids without their dad.

The other option of getting MIL to babysit would cost you a lot which you could put towards buying stuff when you get there.

Personally, I would wait until Jan then all go together, but that is just my opinion.

Ditto

Old Jul 13th 2004, 3:21 am
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

Hi,

Thanks,

Paul.
I'm sure I read somewhere that Dec-Jan is the worst time to look for jobs as so many people are on summer hols - may knock No 2 out.

No.3 - my missus would never trust me with this and I wouldn't want the grief for getting it wrong.

I would go with No 4 - but take some time off esp Jan and use that to chill out and look round properly as a family.

Good luck with whichever you choose
Old Jul 13th 2004, 3:51 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

eanie, meanie, mino, MO!! number 2? maybe 3? how about 1 or 4??

Not much help am I - but whatever you chose make sure you and Nic look me up when you get there
Old Jul 13th 2004, 4:53 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Take MIL with you for a holiday.
She looks after kids. you two look at properties!!

Sorted!
Old Jul 13th 2004, 6:01 am
Forum Regular

najo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Thanks,

Paul.
If you go with option #3, will you be flying back to get wife and kids??? I wouldn't want to be flying for that long with 2 toddlers . If it's the case then I think option # 3 might be the best. Your wife knows you and can surely trust you...or can't she???
Are you planning on buying during that time period or just rent for a little while? Good luck and let us know the outcome!!!
Chantale
Old Jul 13th 2004, 6:18 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sj oldfield
Take MIL with you for a holiday.
She looks after kids. you two look at properties!!

Sorted!

I'm with Sandra on this one. If you were thinking about two lots of flights, then just do the one in Jan with MIL. Her mind will be at rest knowing a) she's helping, and b) sees where her family will be living. You all together. :lecture: - over
Old Jul 13th 2004, 7:27 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

You don't say what your first entry date is, but you need to be aware that *all* family members (including children) must enter Australia by this date.

Jeremy

Hi,

Thanks,

Paul.
Old Jul 13th 2004, 8:39 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone.

JAJ, we need to be there by end of March so we're OK on that front.

I can't believe everyone is suggesting I live with MIL for while. Even the original convicts to Oz got off more lightly than that.
Old Jul 13th 2004, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

sumpti is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Thanks,

Paul.
I agree with the others.take MIL during Jan, you can then go in search of property and she can look after kiddie winks, that way she is really helping and will be really pleased and feel that she is contributing to your move!
Old Jul 13th 2004, 9:03 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

What about just sending the MIL to Australia now?

Paul.
Old Jul 13th 2004, 9:06 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

What about just sending the MIL to Australia now?

Paul.

What about new zealand
Old Jul 13th 2004, 9:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

School hols in QLd start Dec 10 till end january, that is the period when all the temporary accom will be at peak season holiday let prices, and most firms who close will do it in that time, and unless you want gift wrapping work its not the time of year people put on staff. Shops traffic etc will be madness and it will be very hot, so a stressful time for all that running around with toddlers! Now if you left it till end of January you would miss the mad holiday season, and firms would be going back to normal, even tho still very hot you would only have a couple of months till cooler days were in sight, so Id say either early Nov and beat the rush or end of Jan. Christmas alone, give that a lot of thought too.
Old Jul 13th 2004, 9:27 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Wait till January. Treat yourselves to one last UK Christmas - if you arrive here just before it, it won;t to much for any homesickness, and the whole thing will not feel like a real Christmas. Keeps partner happy too!
Also its much easier to cope if you get here together and have each other to lean on!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.