Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

and now for a relatively boring question...

and now for a relatively boring question...

Old Oct 11th 2013, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

Kiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to behold
Default and now for a relatively boring question...

Does anyone know, if I'm living in Australia (as a NZ resident on a NZ passport) and working there normally as a PAYE'er but have properties rented out in the UK (where I've been living for the last 16 years) if I have to pay tax in Australia on the joint accumulation of earnings, or whether I have to pay tax for my normal day job in AUS, and separately in the UK on the earnings made there on the rental income - so a double taxation. Also, to note, the income from the rental properties falls under the personal allowance of £9k approx.
Please can someone advise?
Old Oct 11th 2013, 11:29 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: and now for a relatively boring question...

Originally Posted by Kiwi-Irish
Does anyone know, if I'm living in Australia (as a NZ resident on a NZ passport) and working there normally as a PAYE'er but have properties rented out in the UK (where I've been living for the last 16 years) if I have to pay tax in Australia on the joint accumulation of earnings, or whether I have to pay tax for my normal day job in AUS, and separately in the UK on the earnings made there on the rental income - so a double taxation. Also, to note, the income from the rental properties falls under the personal allowance of £9k approx.
As an Australian resident for tax purposes you declare your
UK income as part of your Australian tax return.
Old Oct 11th 2013, 11:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Well if it is below the tax threshold in UK then you won't be paying tax there, so it is definitely not double taxation! If you did pay tax in UK, then you would get that amount as a credit on your Australian tax return, which would avoid the potential doubling up. But it does need to be declared on both tax returns.

Just one caveat, holders of some temporary visas don't have to declare foreign income in Australia. I don't think you would be exempt but do t know for sure.
Old Oct 12th 2013, 9:31 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: and now for a relatively boring question...

New Zealanders living in Australia do not have Australian permanent residency unless they lived here before Feb 2001. As temporary residents, any income earned overseas is not taxed in Australia.

BB
Old Oct 12th 2013, 10:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Almo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud of

I was always under the impression that kiwis in Aus are treated as permanent residents for tax purposes? And in fact for other purposes such as the inability to take super out of the country, unlike true temporary residents.
Old Oct 12th 2013, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almo
I was always under the impression that kiwis in Aus are treated as permanent residents for tax purposes? And in fact for other purposes such as the inability to take super out of the country, unlike true temporary residents.
Nope

Don't confuse domicile status with residency status
Old Oct 12th 2013, 12:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Almo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud of

Well you learn something new every day! So a kiwi citizen who lives full time in Aus on an SCV is not a permanent resident for tax purposes? Fortunately I never had any overseas income so it wouldn't have mattered but slightly alarmed that I never knew that wasn't the case.

Anyway who tells me I can take my super out will make my day
Old Oct 12th 2013, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

Kiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to behold

Thank you all very much. Its such a hassle having two houses in London to be honest. My parents keep saying 'sell them', but I strongly suspect properties to be going up, and that they will continue to do so for the next 3-5 years. So hoping to hold onto them for a short while and get some capital gain. But with that, comes that 'handbrake' of a hassle...

I'm moving to Sydney permanently in 19 days! I'm extremely excited and can't sleep through the night.
Old Oct 12th 2013, 3:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Well you learn something new every day! So a kiwi citizen who lives full time in Aus on an SCV is not a permanent resident for tax purposes? Fortunately I never had any overseas income so it wouldn't have mattered but slightly alarmed that I never knew that wasn't the case.

Anyway who tells me I can take my super out will make my day
There isn't really any such thing as "permanent residency for tax purposes". For tax purposes one is either resident or not, most people living here on anything but a transient basis is tax resident.

There is however one slight concession to holders of some temporary visas as I mentioned in an earlier post. Personally, I am not sure if this concession applies to NZ citizens, however I think BB is married to a Kiwi so he could very well be correct.
Old Oct 12th 2013, 3:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
There isn't really any such thing as "permanent residency for tax purposes". For tax purposes one is either resident or not, most people living here on anything but a transient basis is tax resident.

There is however one slight concession to holders of some temporary visas as I mentioned in an earlier post. Personally, I am not sure if this concession applies to NZ citizens, however I think BB is married to a Kiwi so he could very well be correct.
Cheers, as I said, you learn something new every day!

I only use the phrase as that's what the ATO uses on etax - well, the question is actually 'are you an Australian resident for tax purposes?'. I know because I went through the questions recently when submitting my tax return after leaving Australia.
Old Oct 12th 2013, 4:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Cheers, as I said, you learn something new every day!

I only use the phrase as that's what the ATO uses on etax - well, the question is actually 'are you an Australian resident for tax purposes?'. I know because I went through the questions recently when submitting my tax return after leaving Australia.
It was the "permanent" bit in your post that I was commenting on. This is a visa term, but for tax it is typically just resident or non resident.
Old Oct 12th 2013, 7:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Of course! You know when you're so used to words going together you don't even recognise that they can stand alone?

I feel somewhat silly now
Old Oct 12th 2013, 8:08 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: and now for a relatively boring question...

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts

It applies to all NZ citizens who are not permanent residents. Any who arrived after Feb 2001 and have not been granted permanent residency under any other visa class would fall into this category.

I am married to a Kiwi, but she is also an Australian citizen so this does not apply to her personally.

And yes, NZ citizens who are on SCV TR444 can also remove their super from Australia, but there is a hell of a process involved in doing this as it has to be transferred into the equivalent Kiwisaver scheme, and the Australian pension providers are not co-operating well with this.

BB
Old Oct 13th 2013, 4:32 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
It applies to all NZ citizens who are not permanent residents. Any who arrived after Feb 2001 and have not been granted permanent residency under any other visa class would fall into this category.
Although as far as I am aware, it does not apply to someone who is the spouse or partner of an Australian citizen or permanent resident. So a New Zealand citizen with an Australian spouse, who chooses not to apply for a permanent visa, does not necessarily obtain this tax benefit.

There may well be other exceptions to eligibility, also there is certain overseas income that remains taxable.
Old Oct 13th 2013, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Although as far as I am aware, it does not apply to someone who is the spouse or partner of an Australian citizen or permanent resident. So a New Zealand citizen with an Australian spouse, who chooses not to apply for a permanent visa, does not necessarily obtain this tax benefit.

There may well be other exceptions to eligibility, also there is certain overseas income that remains taxable.
The marriage or relationship only provides evidence that a case for domicile is stronger with Australia. Case by case determines whether this can be challenged.

To be taxed on world wide income you need to be determined as tax domicile. Having PR, a property you owner occupy, significant investment holdings assist in this determination. But its not necessarily a yes no answer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.