Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Now the panic sets in

Wikiposts

Now the panic sets in

Old Dec 7th 2006, 9:45 am
BE Enthusiast

sunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond repute
Question Now the panic sets in

After waiting for over 9 months we finally have our visa. The house has been sold just waiting to exchange contracts. So what now.

How do I get personal belongings over there ?
How do I pack my house up in the next few weeks ?
What the hell do I do with everything ?
How do I get flights over there around Xmas time ?
How do I tell my work I am off after 15 years ?
How do I tell the family and friends that we are off within the next month ?
Will my passports come back soon with lovely visa's in ?

Problems, problems, problems. but at the end of the day I know it will all work out in the end.

Sunshine23
Old Dec 7th 2006, 9:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Now the panic sets in

Originally Posted by sunshine23
After waiting for over 9 months we finally have our visa. The house has been sold just waiting to exchange contracts. So what now.

Problems, problems, problems. but at the end of the day I know it will all work out in the end.

Sunshine23
Hi this is what I did.

Belongings - if it didn't go in the suitcase it didn't come
House - I hired a skip and anything left went in it
Flights - I booked the first on I could get
Work - I just said I'm leaving on x date
Family & Friends - I just said hey, were going on x date, they said about time too after all that waiting
Passports - Only took 4 days

Problems what are they
Old Dec 7th 2006, 9:52 am
BE Enthusiast

sunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Now the panic sets in

Originally Posted by Wendy
Hi this is what I did.

Belongings - if it didn't go in the suitcase it didn't come
House - I hired a skip and anything left went in it
Flights - I booked the first on I could get
Work - I just said I'm leaving on x date
Family & Friends - I just said hey, were going on x date, they said about time too after all that waiting
Passports - Only took 4 days

Problems what are they

Cheers Wendy needed someone to be practical

Sunshine23
Old Dec 7th 2006, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

jobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to all

Sunshine23
as of today I'm in the same boat......or is that plane...

Looks like you'll have some tough times ahead with all the goodbye's....the're never easy. I'm dreading it.

I've got a bit more time than a month though, looking to head to Adelaide mid to end of Feb, waiting for the house sale to complete, don't envy you that short time scale, you're gonna be a busy bunny!

What ever happens and whatever you decide I hope all goes well, good luck in your new life down under....
Old Dec 7th 2006, 9:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers Wendy needed someone to be practical

Sunshine23

You'll be fine, it all looks very daunting when you think of all you have to do.

Just do one thing at a time and it will all come together. Make sure you also take a little time out too or you'll end up a knackered, nervous wreck
Old Dec 7th 2006, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jobart
as of today I'm in the same boat......or is that plane...

Looks like you'll have some tough times ahead with all the goodbye's....the're never easy. I'm dreading it.

I've got a bit more time than a month though, looking to head to Adelaide mid to end of Feb, waiting for the house sale to complete, don't envy you that short time scale, you're gonna be a busy bunny!

What ever happens and whatever you decide I hope all goes well, good luck in your new life down under....
I know what you mean. While we were waiting for the visa everyone was "oh we understand why you want to go". we got the visa on Tuesday and have not told anyone yet. Hubby and I are so happy I do not want anyone to put the dampers on it (and I know they will) but after this weekend they will all know.

The people that are buying the house want to be in before Xmas so what is the pont of us staying over here, we may as well get off. I want to spend Xmas or the new year with my family out in Australia.

Sunshine23