Buying a car

Old Jul 19th 2006, 2:24 pm
going "home" soon

RayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of light
Default Buying a car

Hi there,

I would be grateful for any tips on buying a second hand car in Brisbane..from what I understand, Rego = Car Tax and I need insurance as per UK, is it that easy? e.g. what about MOTs any other paraphernalia that I need to go through...

e.g.

1 - Any good places to buy from?
2 - What documents do I need to complete fill in?
3 - Any pitfalls to look for?
4 - Insurance companies?

I know I need to sit the Oz driving test at some stage.

Ray
Old Jul 19th 2006, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

TheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud of
Default Re: Buying a car

I dont think there are MOT's in Aus are there ? That was what I was told anyway. That's why there are so many old cars there.
Old Jul 19th 2006, 3:02 pm
On the raggedy edge

Crikey! will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Buying a car

Hey thar Ray, we are also looking to head out to Bris in September 06 - which part are you heading for and what's your plans?

We have some friends in Bris who have been looking at car prices for us but we would also like to know all that info so excuse us while we cheekily jump on the back of your post! If we get any names/recommendations for second-hand dealers we will be sure to let you know!

Take it easy
x
Old Jul 20th 2006, 8:06 am
going "home" soon

RayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Crikey!
Hey thar Ray, we are also looking to head out to Bris in September 06 - which part are you heading for and what's your plans?

We have some friends in Bris who have been looking at car prices for us but we would also like to know all that info so excuse us while we cheekily jump on the back of your post! If we get any names/recommendations for second-hand dealers we will be sure to let you know!

Take it easy
x
Hi - we are heading for Wellington Point....plan is to get there and take it one step at a time...
Old Jul 20th 2006, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheAshleys
I dont think there are MOT's in Aus are there ? That was what I was told anyway. That's why there are so many old cars there.
There are roadworthy inspections but these are only generally needed if the rego lapses by more than 3 months or you want buy a car interstate in which case you will need to have one in your home state.

(Plus at least here in Vic, if you want to sell your car you need to have it road worthied before you are allowed to).

Last edited by Teliko21; Jul 20th 2006 at 9:36 am.
Old Jul 20th 2006, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

SBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud ofSBUK has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by TheAshleys
Sorry I dont agree...the cars on the road in Oz aren't old ,as in non MOT old,the range of cars and car makes is second to non ..new models from top car manufacturers ie Ford,Holden,all top Jap names etc..rub shoulders with US muscle cars, V8'S and classic cars ,add a big pinch of 4X4's and Utes and you have one of the largest mix of car types I have seen for a long time,much better than Sierra lovin' England ...+ cars still have an MOT of sorts its just done a different way!
Old Jul 20th 2006, 11:01 am
Here At Last!!

frogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nice

I am looking at getting a new car when we land in Brisbane, whats the deal with haggling etc with new cars - do you haggle or is the price they quote the only price they can sell?

cheers
Old Jul 20th 2006, 11:20 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RayZor
Hi there,

I would be grateful for any tips on buying a second hand car in Brisbane..from what I understand, Rego = Car Tax and I need insurance as per UK, is it that easy? e.g. what about MOTs any other paraphernalia that I need to go through...

e.g.

1 - Any good places to buy from?
2 - What documents do I need to complete fill in?
3 - Any pitfalls to look for?
4 - Insurance companies?

I know I need to sit the Oz driving test at some stage.

Ray
Advice - haggle, haggle and haggle some more.

Documentation will be handled by the dealer but you will need a Queensland Driving Licence (or a customer number from Queensland Transport - just get your licence swapped over - its easy). Just do that before you buy a car.

Its much the same as buying a car from anywhere in the UK. And we all know what second hand care salesmen reputations are like

Insurance is again a case of shopping around. Just make sure you bring a certificate of no claims with you.

Oh - Wellington Pt is indeed nice. Maybe see you for a pint someday
Old Jul 20th 2006, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

nfernand is an unknown quantity at this point

MOT = Pink slip $30.

AMMI is the best insuarance company.

Yes, Rego = Road tax.

Mind you... you will have to stamp duty on the car. That sucks ha " !! 3% of purchase price
Old Jul 20th 2006, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

helen/andy has a spectacular aura abouthelen/andy has a spectacular aura abouthelen/andy has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by nfernand
MOT = Pink slip $30.

AMMI is the best insuarance company.

Yes, Rego = Road tax.

Mind you... you will have to stamp duty on the car. That sucks ha " !! 3% of purchase price
Its 2% of purchase price in QLD but you can use your discretion when filling in the form as the lady in the transport dept told me !! so I under valued my car by $15,000! avoiding the excess duty.RACQA do a good deal if you have your no claims, and you also get a good discount on breakdown home contents ect.if you have more than one policy with them.
Old Dec 7th 2006, 8:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry if this is an old thread, just did a search.

Can anyone answer a few question about buying a used car in Brisbane?
I have seen one for the wife, all looks good and have emailed the garage for more information which hopefully I should get back in the next few days.

Now, is the purchase price on the windscreen the price including or excluding stamp duty?
Does the garage give you some period of rego when you buy the car and would you also get a "pink slip"
What sort of % discount would the dealer give?

Hope someone can help.

Ian
Old Dec 7th 2006, 9:32 pm
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ian,

Normally it's not the on road price so you have to add 2% stamp duty and 6 months rego.

Not sure what % they will take off, guess it would depend on the car but I would say 5-10% .

Check out www.redbook.com.au to get a guide of what you should pay for the car.

Originally Posted by Ian & Sharon
Sorry if this is an old thread, just did a search.

Can anyone answer a few question about buying a used car in Brisbane?
I have seen one for the wife, all looks good and have emailed the garage for more information which hopefully I should get back in the next few days.

Now, is the purchase price on the windscreen the price including or excluding stamp duty?
Does the garage give you some period of rego when you buy the car and would you also get a "pink slip"
What sort of % discount would the dealer give?

Hope someone can help.

Ian
Old Dec 7th 2006, 10:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themerlin
Hi Ian,

Normally it's not the on road price so you have to add 2% stamp duty and 6 months rego.

Not sure what % they will take off, guess it would depend on the car but I would say 5-10% .

Check out www.redbook.com.au to get a guide of what you should pay for the car.
Thanks Merlin,

Yet another web site you'll get me hooked on
Looking forward to the drink!

ian