Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Now I've heard it all!

Now I've heard it all!

Old Jul 26th 2006, 12:19 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Now I've heard it all!

On the news tonight they had a slot about inflation in Australia and how it has gone up, apparently the official reason for the rise is the price of petrol and bananas! Petrol I can understand but a 1st world country at the mercy of the price of a kilo of bananas! No other reasons given. So next time your moaning about the interest rate rise and the cost of your mortgages you know to blame the banana.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 12:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Now I've heard it all!

Originally Posted by arkon
On the news tonight they had a slot about inflation in Australia and how it has gone up, apparently the official reason for the rise is the price of petrol and bananas! Petrol I can understand but a 1st world country at the mercy of the price of a kilo of bananas! No other reasons given. So next time your moaning about the interest rate rise and the cost of your mortgages you know to blame the banana.

Hmmmm is it the banana of the demand for the banana? Are bananas included in the governments "basket of goods" upon which inflation is measured?
Old Jul 26th 2006, 12:22 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Just goes to show what happens when 5 million Australian families all simultaneously stop spending $10 a week on the nations favorite fruit.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 12:32 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Hmmmm is it the banana of the demand for the banana? Are bananas included in the governments "basket of goods" upon which inflation is measured?
If it is in the 'basket of goods' for the RPI test then it must be mostly full of bananas. I suppose we should be grateful that the cucumber isn’t included in the basket because according to subway they are on the nearly extinct list too.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 12:35 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Yaaaawn.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 12:47 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Yea? Now I've heard it all twice.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=386916
Old Jul 26th 2006, 11:40 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by Hutch
Cool, must be an important topic then, clearly great minds think alike.
Old Jul 27th 2006, 12:25 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I had a chucke about the bananas too. The thing that pissed me off is the petrol price. 2 weeks ago the press was speculating that oil was going to smash through $80/bbl & petrol would be $1.50/l due to the conflict in Lebanon. Well, oil has not gone through $80, it's about $73 & relatively stable but petrol is heading for $1.50. WTF. Apparently it's due to the 'price cycle' & BP are the ones who kick it off. What a load of bollox. I can safely say that people in the UK would not put up with this, remember the fuel blockades of a few years ago? That would never happen here.
Old Jul 27th 2006, 12:40 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

When we arrived here 11 months ago petrol was around $1.10 mark and people were up in arms about it. Yet as it now looks like hitting $1.50 mark total apathy about it
Old Jul 27th 2006, 12:55 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fraser
When we arrived here 11 months ago petrol was around $1.10 mark and people were up in arms about it. Yet as it now looks like hitting $1.50 mark total apathy about it
That's it. There is no need for it to be heading for $1.50. No one knows what is going to happen in world events. It's just pure speculation & people put up with it. There was some joker on TV the other day saying it's 'going to hit $2 next year, which is scary'. Based on what? 'Experts' were saying that oil prices were going to scream up because of mid east conflict. Well, it hasn't. It might do in the future but right now hasn't. So these rises are unjustified.
Old Jul 27th 2006, 2:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
That's it. There is no need for it to be heading for $1.50. No one knows what is going to happen in world events. It's just pure speculation & people put up with it. There was some joker on TV the other day saying it's 'going to hit $2 next year, which is scary'. Based on what? 'Experts' were saying that oil prices were going to scream up because of mid east conflict. Well, it hasn't. It might do in the future but right now hasn't. So these rises are unjustified.

Also, assuming every country in the world has had petrol increases, I do wonder why its only australia who has to keep shoving their interest rates up , I think only NZ were higher than us (western world vash, not outer botoswongolia or whatever you can drag up ) Besides raising interest rates will get passed on like petrol costs so hardly going to decrease inflation.

I think the bananas bit comes in with the public being treated as apes when it comes to what they will believe.
Old Jul 27th 2006, 2:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

I had a chucke about the bananas too. The thing that pissed me off is the petrol price. 2 weeks ago the press was speculating that oil was going to smash through $80/bbl & petrol would be $1.50/l due to the conflict in Lebanon. Well, oil has not gone through $80, it's about $73 & relatively stable but petrol is heading for $1.50. WTF. Apparently it's due to the 'price cycle' & BP are the ones who kick it off. What a load of bollox. I can safely say that people in the UK would not put up with this, remember the fuel blockades of a few years ago? That would never happen here.
The brainwashings started on interest rates too, yesterdays proposed hike is now that and further 3
Old Jul 27th 2006, 3:14 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I can safely say that people in the UK would not put up with this, remember the fuel blockades of a few years ago?
That's total and utter, bollocks. The fuel blockade achieved absolutely nothing, petrol has continued to rise and is now getting on for £1.10 a litre. They tried another petrol protest last year and there was total apathy, because ultimately the British public realised that the only people who were inconvenienced were themselves, not the oil companies with their vast cash war chests. Everybody, in every country, is being shafted by the oil companies and the governments that earn so much tax revenue from those petro-dollars.

Wow - those poms sure wouldn't put up with escalating fuel prices

Last edited by Hutch; Jul 27th 2006 at 3:20 am.
Old Jul 27th 2006, 3:15 am
Australia's Doorman

Cool, must be an important topic then, clearly great minds think alike.
That's one way of putting it, I suppose.
Old Jul 27th 2006, 3:23 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Hutch
That's total and utter, bollocks. The fuel blockade achieved absolutely nothing, petrol has continued to rise and is now getting on for £1.10 a litre. They tried another petrol protest last year and there was total apathy, because ultimately the British public realised that the only people who were inconvenienced were themselves, not the oil companies with their vast cash war chests. Everybody, in every country, is being shafted by the oil companies and the governments that earn so much tax revenue from those petro-dollars.
I don't know where you get £1.10 from, check: www.petrolprices.com

Lowest price where I used to live is 94.9p, a lot less than £1.10.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.