Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Now I've got a real flea in my ear

Now I've got a real flea in my ear

Old Aug 17th 2006, 1:00 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Now I've got a real flea in my ear

Well probably not a flea but some kind of creature that’s for sure. As it's near the start of spring and the frost seems to have stopped I thought I'd start on the infinite task of slashing the fields today. I filled up the tractor fitted the slasher on the back, a task a bit like Thunderbird 2 trying to fit Thunderbird 4 on its rear end. Anyway knowing I'd be spending about 5 hours out on the incredibly noisy tractor I remembered to take my Gun ear defenders with me to deaden out the racket, what I had forgot to do was check the ear muffs for any lurking creatures first!!

About 30 minutes in I felt something invade my ear, just a strange tickle at first and then felt like a fly with shivitis dance doing the tango inside my ear. Quickly pulled the muffs off and had a good gouge to find out what it was. Didn’t find anything and clearly killed whatever it was so carried on.

Anyway tonight I’ve used about 2 dozen ear buds and a small crocket needle to try and get out what ever it was as it’s been driving me mad all day. I Think I’ve got it all out now but I’ve mangled it so bad I’ve no idea what it was originally.

So on this glorious day in paradise I’d like to pass on a new pearl of wisdom, ALWAYS check your ear muffs before you put them on if you normally leave your muffs in the garage like I do, otherwise you too could be sat here at 11 pm with a magnifying glass trying to identify the gunk you’ve just extracted from your ear using your mums crochet needle!
Old Aug 17th 2006, 1:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Now I've got a real flea in my ear

Are you sure you got it Arkon.....

Earwigs can be pretty dodgy around that Aural region.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dermaptera
Old Aug 17th 2006, 1:20 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle

From the bits I got I think it was a spider of some kind and knowing the type that usually live in the shed it was probably a jumping spider. I'm pretty sure I've got it all out now, took me long enough! Still gives me the shivers thinking about it now!
Old Aug 17th 2006, 1:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Craig822 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig822 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig822 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by arkon

So on this glorious day in paradise I’d like to pass on a new pearl of wisdom, ALWAYS check your ear muffs before you put them on if you normally leave your muffs in the garage like I do, otherwise you too could be sat here at 11 pm with a magnifying glass trying to identify the gunk you’ve just extracted from your ear using your mums crochet needle!

LOL! Hope you got the eggs out too mate :scared:

It's like in the desert - always give your boots a knock before you put them on
Old Aug 17th 2006, 1:36 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Well probably not a flea but some kind of creature that’s for sure. As it's near the start of spring and the frost seems to have stopped I thought I'd start on the infinite task of slashing the fields today. I filled up the tractor fitted the slasher on the back, a task a bit like Thunderbird 2 trying to fit Thunderbird 4 on its rear end. Anyway knowing I'd be spending about 5 hours out on the incredibly noisy tractor I remembered to take my Gun ear defenders with me to deaden out the racket, what I had forgot to do was check the ear muffs for any lurking creatures first!!

About 30 minutes in I felt something invade my ear, just a strange tickle at first and then felt like a fly with shivitis dance doing the tango inside my ear. Quickly pulled the muffs off and had a good gouge to find out what it was. Didn’t find anything and clearly killed whatever it was so carried on.

Anyway tonight I’ve used about 2 dozen ear buds and a small crocket needle to try and get out what ever it was as it’s been driving me mad all day. I Think I’ve got it all out now but I’ve mangled it so bad I’ve no idea what it was originally.

Pure gold you just couldn't make it up
Old Aug 17th 2006, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to behold
Talking Re: Now I've got a real flea in my ear

Anyway tonight I’ve used about 2 dozen ear buds and a small crocket needle to try and get out what ever it was as it’s been driving me mad all day.

Hi , as you know I am an Emergency nurse. Since coming to Oz , I have seen so many people with beasties in different orifices it's just shocking ! :scared:
Had one earlier this year with a Christmas beetle crawling thru his sinuses ! Imagine how that must feel !!!!
Also , a woman with a MASSIVE F#CK OFF AND DIE COCKROACH dancing a jig in her ear !!!! OMG !!!!
Next time do what we do - DROWN THE BUGGERS !
They kinda shuffle around in there when you poke them increasing the risk of a ruptured ear drum but if you drown them , well , there's not a lot they can do about that ! Also , you stand a better chance of getting it out whole and identifying it a lot easier !

Anyway, glad you got it. (but "yeuch !!!")
All the best, Tass.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 2:49 pm
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute

From the bits I got I think it was a spider of some kind and knowing the type that usually live in the shed it was probably a jumping spider. I'm pretty sure I've got it all out now, took me long enough! Still gives me the shivers thinking about it now!

You'll never know unless you reassemble all the bits to make sure :scared:
Hope you find 8 legs

Loz x
Old Aug 17th 2006, 2:53 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tass
Hi , as you know I am an Emergency nurse. ...
Next time do what we do - DROWN THE BUGGERS !
Anyway, glad you got it. (but "yeuch !!!")
All the best, Tass.

hell yeah - must be a lot easier getting the insect out in the autopsy than have a screaming patient in the ER. You go girl thats what I say. More power to ya. You dont work in a hostipal in Queensland do you?
Old Aug 17th 2006, 5:47 pm
Banned

acbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond repute

Well probably not a flea but some kind of creature that’s for sure.
Think I need that needle my ear is tickling just at the thought Eurghhh :scared:
A
xx
Old Aug 17th 2006, 6:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Britishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by acbh2
Think I need that needle my ear is tickling just at the thought Eurghhh :scared:
A
xx
Oh yuk, this sort of stuff makes me feel horrible.

About 2 years ago there was a programme on telly about parasites. (I couldn't bear to watch it).

Will bear all advice in mind for future reference.

Anyone else had nasty beastie experiences?
Old Aug 17th 2006, 8:53 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle

Old indian trick - push the needle straight through
Old Aug 17th 2006, 9:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by spalen
hell yeah - must be a lot easier getting the insect out in the autopsy than have a screaming patient in the ER. You go girl thats what I say. More power to ya. You dont work in a hostipal in Queensland do you?

LOL!! Not the patient !!!! Never read that properly when I posted it !!
You pour a heavy liquid into the ear canal and leave it there for 5 mins, then wash it back out.By this point we've usually had to sedate the patient with Diazepam because they can't cope with the beast in their ear. It's actually very painful when they move due to the thin sensitive membrane they're pushing on.

Now this probably reads wrong too ! It was posted with good intentions
All the best,
Tass.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

A friend of a friend had a White Tail spider crawl into her ear when she was asleep! Her husband had to take her to hospital in the middle of the night because of the pain. And, yes, the doctor poured in warm olive oil and then fished the bugger out - obviously she was pretty shocked to see what it was - luckily it hadn't bitten her :scared:
Needless to say, she ensures her hair isn't tied up when she goes to bed anymore.... me - I'll keep the ear plugs in!!
Old Aug 17th 2006, 10:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond repute

PMSL,

Are you sure it was not an earwig.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 11:43 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by The Crow
A friend of a friend had a White Tail spider crawl into her ear when she was asleep! Her husband had to take her to hospital in the middle of the night because of the pain. And, yes, the doctor poured in warm olive oil and then fished the bugger out - obviously she was pretty shocked to see what it was - luckily it hadn't bitten her :scared:
Needless to say, she ensures her hair isn't tied up when she goes to bed anymore.... me - I'll keep the ear plugs in!!
LOL, Luckily I didn't need to flush it out as it was dead pretty soon as it entered in the first place! One thing living on a farm in Oz teaches you pretty quickly is to have very fast reflexes! I'd been gouging at it all day getting bits and pieces of it out so identifiyng it wasn't really possible. All I was left with late last night was its innards!! Still gives me the creeps thinking about it today. I think I'll postpone the next tractor session a few days.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.