Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Now it's getting closer...the nerves are kicking in

Now it's getting closer...the nerves are kicking in

Old Oct 30th 2011, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

beachlady is a jewel in the roughbeachlady is a jewel in the roughbeachlady is a jewel in the roughbeachlady is a jewel in the rough
Default Now it's getting closer...the nerves are kicking in

Hello BE,

I've been posting on BE for nearly a year now and it's been a great source of support. I've now booked my flight to go to Adelaide in January and it's all becoming so very real...I'm actually moving to Aus!! Anyway, now that it's getting closer, I'm actually getting a little nervous and keep thinking about all the things I'll need to do when I get there. I'll be heading out on my own so as you can probably imagine there's a lot of pressure as I'll be doing everything myself. Last night I woke up in the middle of the night thinking about what it'll be like those first view days, and felt myself panicking with the prospect of having to find my way around, looking for a rental, having to a buy a car etc. How did everybody else cope with their first few days there? Did you find it easier than you thought, finding your way around, getting a rental, making friends etc, or was it a nightmare?
Does anyone know if there are any people around that help people in the relocation process? (I think SA use to do something but not sure if they do anymore). I've lived overseas before and have a good understanding of what it's like being away from home, but it's still not easy.

Any advice would be much appreciated and if there is anyone else in a similar position to me and going to Adelaide, I'd welcome your thoughts on how things are going for you.
Old Oct 30th 2011, 1:38 pm
Shiny Arse Know All

ROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Now it's getting closer...the nerves are kicking in

Originally Posted by beachlady
Hello BE,

I've been posting on BE for nearly a year now and it's been a great source of support. I've now booked my flight to go to Adelaide in January and it's all becoming so very real...I'm actually moving to Aus!! Anyway, now that it's getting closer, I'm actually getting a little nervous and keep thinking about all the things I'll need to do when I get there. I'll be heading out on my own so as you can probably imagine there's a lot of pressure as I'll be doing everything myself. Last night I woke up in the middle of the night thinking about what it'll be like those first view days, and felt myself panicking with the prospect of having to find my way around, looking for a rental, having to a buy a car etc. How did everybody else cope with their first few days there? Did you find it easier than you thought, finding your way around, getting a rental, making friends etc, or was it a nightmare?
Does anyone know if there are any people around that help people in the relocation process? (I think SA use to do something but not sure if they do anymore). I've lived overseas before and have a good understanding of what it's like being away from home, but it's still not easy.

Any advice would be much appreciated and if there is anyone else in a similar position to me and going to Adelaide, I'd welcome your thoughts on how things are going for you.
SA have stopped doing the meet and great at the airport and the subsidised accommodation for new migrants. Bit of a bugger really as we were going to use it

Good luck
Old Oct 30th 2011, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

beachlady is a jewel in the roughbeachlady is a jewel in the roughbeachlady is a jewel in the roughbeachlady is a jewel in the rough

I know, that would have been ideal. Have you sorted a short term/holiday let? I'm looking at them at the moment...too expensive for me so I'll be staying somewhere a lot cheaper. When are you heading out?

Last edited by beachlady; Oct 30th 2011 at 1:57 pm.
Old Oct 30th 2011, 2:12 pm
Shiny Arse Know All

ROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond repute

I know, that would have been ideal. Have you sorted a short term/holiday let? I'm looking at them at the moment...too expensive for me so I'll be staying somewhere a lot cheaper. When are you heading out?
Nothing yet as not planning on moving until late next year. Have booked into Mt Barker holiday park for our reccie/validation trip in Feb. Prob need to start looking but waiting until the house is sold to see how long a rental we'll need here before moving.

what areas are you looking at?
Old Oct 30th 2011, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

Would like to be near the coast but it really all depends on what rental availability they have at the time I arrive. Good luck with the house sale.
Old Oct 30th 2011, 4:38 pm
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Would like to be near the coast but it really all depends on what rental availability they have at the time I arrive. Good luck with the house sale.
Christie's beach is a bit cheaper than other beach areas as it has (so I've heard) a bit of a reputation for trouble, but I understand things are improving there. There are a couple of short term lets there that are fully furnished and have all facilities

Hope some of these links may help you

http://www.adelaidebound.com/shortte...mmodation.html

http://www.adelaideshorttermrentals....christies.html

http://www.southaustralia.com/accommodation.aspx

furniture packages once you've found somewhere longer term

http://www.fantasticfurniture.com.au...der/c/packages
Old Oct 30th 2011, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks! I'll have a look at those websites.