British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   now a aussie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/now-aussie-587607/)

rangersman2 Jan 28th 2009 10:31 am

now a aussie

Sorry if this has been asked before, but can I go to the uk on my uk passport now that I am a Australian citizen, because I may have to go back to the uk on short notice and want to be able to get back in the country.

I have been told that you can up to the five years is up on your visa, but I am thinking that my 136 visa is void now that I am a citizen.

Also any idea on the timeline of getting a passport , many thanks Paul

homewardbound Jan 28th 2009 10:32 am

Re: now a aussie

yes you can BUT when i flew to uk on my british passport they pulled me in an office and said i can never come back in on a british passport, i would need an aussie one...

Loch Lomond Jan 28th 2009 10:35 am

Originally Posted by rangersman2 (Post 7221299)
Sorry if this has been asked before, but can I go to the uk on my uk passport now that I am a Australian citizen, because I may have to go back to the uk on short notice and want to be able to get back in the country.

I have been told that you can up to the five years is up on your visa, but I am thinking that my 136 visa is void now that I am a citizen.

You need an Australian passport to get back into Oz without any hassle. You can apply for an express processed passport which I think from memory is processed in 48 Hrs:unsure:

bcworld Jan 28th 2009 10:37 am

Yes, you no longer have a visa.

I'm sure I've heard you can re-enter Australia by showing your nice shiny new citizenship certificate - I think maybe Moneypen has some experience here?? You would need to make sure that the airline would accept that for travel though.

EDIT: i may have imagined this completely, in fact probably have!

rangersman2 Jan 28th 2009 11:11 am

thank you for your replys, Paul.

gormac Jan 29th 2009 8:43 am

Originally Posted by rangersman2 (Post 7221431)
thank you for your replys, Paul.

Hi Rangersman where aboots are you we are Brissy an am a Rangersman to we are from Glasgow All the Best

snow-white Jan 29th 2009 8:50 am

if your an ozzie citizen did you not also keep your brtish passport as well??
i thought by keeping your dual citizenship that meant you can go back and forth to uk if you want
lesley x

bcworld Jan 29th 2009 8:52 am

Originally Posted by snow-white (Post 7224856)
i thought by keeping your dual citizenship that meant you can go back and forth to uk if you want
lesley x

Yes, however you need a visa or Australian passport to enter Aus. When you get citizenship your PR visa is cancelled. As an Aus citizen you cannot apply for an ETA on your UK passport to get back into Aus.

snow-white Jan 29th 2009 9:02 am

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 7224859)
Yes, however you need a visa or Australian passport to enter Aus. When you get citizenship your PR visa is cancelled. As an Aus citizen you cannot apply for an ETA on your UK passport to get back into Aus.

so on getting your citizenship and still keeping your british passport what do you need to apply for to enter and leave oz
Lesley x

bcworld Jan 29th 2009 9:03 am

Originally Posted by snow-white (Post 7224890)
so on getting your citizenship and still keeping your british passport what do you need to apply for to enter and leave oz
Lesley x

An Australian passport.

snow-white Jan 29th 2009 9:14 am

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 7224894)
An Australian passport.

so when you get your citizenship you don't get an ozzie passport with it ???????
lesley x

bcworld Jan 29th 2009 9:30 am

Originally Posted by snow-white (Post 7224929)
so when you get your citizenship you don't get an ozzie passport with it ???????
lesley x

No, you have to apply for one.

hoofie2002 Jan 30th 2009 12:01 am

Originally Posted by snow-white (Post 7224929)
lesley x

You have the right to apply for one as a Australian Citizen - however you still have to pony up the money and fill in the forms just like any other Ozzie.