Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is November A Good Time To Go?????

Is November A Good Time To Go?????

Old Sep 23rd 2006, 6:39 am
Forum Regular

fancyfella has much to be proud offancyfella has much to be proud offancyfella has much to be proud offancyfella has much to be proud offancyfella has much to be proud offancyfella has much to be proud offancyfella has much to be proud offancyfella has much to be proud offancyfella has much to be proud offancyfella has much to be proud offancyfella has much to be proud of
Default Is November A Good Time To Go?????

HI FOLKS,
In a bit of a dilemma flying out to Melbourne on 9th or 16th of November ,But the more I'm thinking about it the more I'm thinking to leave it till the beginning of January because will we be able to rent a house before Xmas sorting Xmas out for the three kids and with out all the other things to sort out :scared: .Has anyone gone in November and found it all ok sorting everything out or is anyone else going in November and feels the same.

THANKS FOR YOU'RE TIME FANCYFELLA AND THE TRIBE

P.S.YOULL NEVER WALK ALONE
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 10:23 am
Just Joined

scarlet rose is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is November A Good Time To Go?????

Hi

I live in Melbourne and the weather is not to bad, it is spring and can be really warm or really wet, very unpredictable.

Also if you have kids school age January will be better at school starts back for a new school year at the end of January. We arrived in early January and it worked out perfect!!!

You can find house to rent easily on the internet, let me know if you need websites.

Good Luck

Mandy
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 11:15 am
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by fancyfella
HI FOLKS,
In a bit of a dilemma flying out to Melbourne on 9th or 16th of November ,But the more I'm thinking about it the more I'm thinking to leave it till the beginning of January because will we be able to rent a house before Xmas sorting Xmas out for the three kids and with out all the other things to sort out :scared: .Has anyone gone in November and found it all ok sorting everything out or is anyone else going in November and feels the same.

Job wise I wouldn't come in November as everyone who can make a decision about hiring is on Annual leave BUT at least you would get a break as my husband was here less than a week and got a job so didn't really have time to chill.

LJJ
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 11:22 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ljj
Job wise I wouldn't come in November as everyone who can make a decision about hiring is on Annual leave BUT at least you would get a break as my husband was here less than a week and got a job so didn't really have time to chill.

LJJ
I would give this advice to for the same reason...few hire near to christmas or holiday shut down.
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ljj

LJJ
We arrived in November. Christmas coming acted as a spur for me to get my finger out, and we got a rental house and work in time. We also felt that if we got stuck we could at least get seasonal shop work at that time. We were also still new to our extended family when Christmas came round, so we were taken under their wings for Christmas day with the kids etc.

Good Luck
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

liver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond reputeliver bird has a reputation beyond repute

HI FOLKS,

hiya! hope we're going to be ok as we're hopefully headed to brisbane with two kids but under three so don't have to worry about schools, just finding a place to rent that takes kids and pets! hubbie luckily already been offered a job there. Only worries are that the flights are going to be full cos of the ashes.

UP THE REDS!
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

Willij has a spectacular aura aboutWillij has a spectacular aura aboutWillij has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: Is November A Good Time To Go?????

Originally Posted by scarlet rose
You can find house to rent easily on the internet, let me know if you need websites.

Good Luck

Mandy
Hi,

Hope you don't mind but I wouldn't mind a list of websites - we are hoping to be over in Decemeber.

Looking at Eltham and surrounding areas for accomodation.
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

rpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud ofrpa34 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Willij
Hi,

Hope you don't mind but I wouldn't mind a list of websites - we are hoping to be over in Decemeber.

http://www.realestate.com.au
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 3:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Willij
Hi,

Hi, we live near Eltham, what made you choose that area? Let me know if you want any information.

Flip
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

Willij has a spectacular aura aboutWillij has a spectacular aura aboutWillij has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: Is November A Good Time To Go?????

Originally Posted by flip
Hi, we live near Eltham, what made you choose that area? Let me know if you want any information.

Flip
Hi,

Our criteria was affordable rural properties with reasonable travelling times to city (or rather Alphington).

Originally we were looking East/South East then I realised that traffic is very heavy in that direction.

Also started looking at secondaty schools (our daughter is 10) and saw that Eltham has a very good reputation.

Anyway, hopefully see you soon
Old Sep 24th 2006, 11:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

clougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Some friends of ours moved over here to Perth last November and ended up going back to the UK by April. Not that you would do that, but they did say that it was a mistake to come at that time of year. They ended up having to move 3 times before Jan because there weren't any furnished rentals available for the whole 6 weeks before they moved into unfurnised. This was a nightmare, especially with 2 little girls and Christmas to contend with. They booked their flights before finding accomodation so didn't really have much choice. The job situation was a nightmare too. Even though the husband was intending not to start looking till Jan, arriving in the middle of November, Jan seemed a long way off. He started looking and got nowhere, nobody is employing before Christmas. I think that eventually everything got them down and they ended up hating the place for reasons that weren't entirely the fault of the place. Not saying that it was the timing that did it, but I don't think it helped.

Jo
Old Sep 25th 2006, 2:40 am
Forum Regular

kt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nicekt.2006 is just really nice

HI FOLKS,

One bad thing about arriving at the beginning of January is that it is the middle of the school holidays and the schools will not be open. We arrived then and we were not able to view any state schools until the day before term started. Private schools are open the week before. (This was in Brisbane, not too sure about Melbourne).

Good luck whatever you decide.