Notice to quit

Old Mar 29th 2006, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

migrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the rough
Default Notice to quit

I've been employed as a casual employee for almost 10 months and have been offered another job which I have accepted but now need to go into work tomorrow and break the bad news, or good depending on what they think of me.

Does anyone know how much notice I need to give? Is it just one hour, or are there any new rules under the new legislation?

Just looked at the wagenet website and no info is available as they in the process of updating their website.
I guess I am going to see how long they want me to work and take it from there. I'm prepared to work 2 weeks notice, does that seem fair?

Last edited by migrantoz; Mar 29th 2006 at 8:50 am.
Old Mar 29th 2006, 8:52 am
That's Dr Bitch to you

Sass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Notice to quit

I don't know if the rules have changed but I would have thought 1 weeks notice would be ample. Suggest you talk to them and see
Depends on if you do regular shifts and if you feel indebted to them at all - ie if your leaving will leave them in the lurch
Old Mar 29th 2006, 9:00 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Notice to quit

Originally Posted by migrantoz
I've been employed as a casual employee for almost 10 months and have been offered another job which I have accepted but now need to go into work tomorrow and break the bad news, or good depending on what they think of me.

Does anyone know how much notice I need to give? Is it just one hour, or are there any new rules under the new legislation?

Just looked at the wagenet website and no info is available as they in the process of updating their website.
I guess I am going to see how long they want me to work and take it from there. I'm prepared to work 2 weeks notice, does that seem fair?

For a standard contract (which legally should have been presented to you by the way on your employment) it's usually one week's notice.

Just ask your boss how much it is.

Do NOT work more notice than you need to. They won't love you any more or remember you any better for doing so.
Old Mar 29th 2006, 7:08 pm
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Notice to quit

I work in HR and this can vary from person to person, organisation to organisation, public to private.

Firstly, do you have a copy of your contract? It should be in there as it is part of your terms and conditions.

It can vary from five working days to four weeks. It can also depend upon how long you have been there.

Usually, in private industry it is quite a short period.

sorry looking at what I have written looks as helpful as a hole in the head.