Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Note To Aid Integration

Note To Aid Integration

Old Jun 28th 2003, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

N.Finn Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Note To Aid Integration

Make sure your children loose their British accent, Surely therefore greater level of acceptence will follow, trust me I speak from experience. Anyway surely you want the offspring to adopt Australia/New Zealand as their homeland? Otherwise why leave in the first place?
Old Jun 28th 2003, 10:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Note To Aid Integration

Originally posted by N.Finn Fan
Make sure your children loose their British accent, Surely therefore greater level of acceptence will follow, trust me I speak from experience. Anyway surely you want the offspring to adopt Australia/New Zealand as their homeland? Otherwise why leave in the first place?

Have I missed an argument or something?

I see what you're saying, but is it really a problem? They may well lose the accent but it's not something I'd actively encourage. They're homeland will always be England, I could be naive about this but I don't expect anything more than a bit of banter, and if they take it well I'm sure they'll earn the respect of the natives!

I know you're heading to NZ, but were you brought up there aswell? Can't remember if you've mentioned it before, sorry!

Cheers, Gra...
Old Jun 28th 2003, 11:18 pm
The Tooth Fairy

Originally posted by Gra.B
They're homeland will always be England, I could be naive about this but I don't expect anything more than a bit of banter, and if they take it well I'm sure they'll earn the respect of the natives!
Working holiday or emigration?

Old Jun 28th 2003, 11:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by The Tooth Fairy
Working holiday or emigration?
emigration....why d'you ask?
Old Jun 29th 2003, 12:46 am
The Tooth Fairy

Originally posted by Gra.B
emigration....why d'you ask?
Some time ago I had a conversation with a woman, with whom I worked for sometime, who emigrated aged around 10 with her family from England (forget which part). She said that after some school yard difficulties her parents decided to send her to elocution lessons so that she could match her accent to that of her new peers. She said that helped her fit in. Seems silly but kids will pick on silly things. I am confident that if I asked, she would say that Australia is her homeland.

Old Jun 29th 2003, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

Default To Gra B

Good luck in Dunedin. For the record I was born in Germany of British parents.. I went to school with people of lots of different nationalities, so my accent is very "mixed". I live in Devon now. Did you buy the film I suggested? I have a copy if you'd like me to send it for you.
Old Jun 29th 2003, 6:49 pm
Just Joined

brotherlarrikin is an unknown quantity at this point

What film is this? I have some good contact in the film businesses. Send me the name and prices ansd I will see if we can do better.

Hello! Larry
Old Jun 29th 2003, 7:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Some time ago I had a conversation with a woman, with whom I worked for sometime, who emigrated aged around 10 with her family from England (forget which part). She said that after some school yard difficulties her parents decided to send her to elocution lessons so that she could match her accent to that of her new peers. She said that helped her fit in. Seems silly but kids will pick on silly things. I am confident that if I asked, she would say that Australia is her homeland.
Hi TF,
I would hope it doesn't come to that, seems a bit extreme. We too had different nationalities in our school but don't remember any problems like that. All kids seem to get some kind of tag, whether it be skinny bloke, fat bloke, chinky bloke etc., but I still think it depends on how you handle it, unless of course you go to school in Germany like NFF, poor kid never had a chance!
It's something to bear in mind though...
Good luck in Dunedin. For the record I was born in Germany of British parents.. I went to school with people of lots of different nationalities, so my accent is very "mixed". I live in Devon now. Did you buy the film I suggested? I have a copy if you'd like me to send it for you.
Hi NFF,
I do think we'll be Ok in NZ with regards to accents. The place is full of bloomin' foreigners! Probably less chance of standing out from the crowd......
I tried to find a free download of it on Kazaa, but no luck.. I'd be very grateful if you could sort something out, send me a PM, & let me know of any expenses,

Cheers, Gra...

PS Hope your taste in film is better than your taste in music!
Originally posted by brotherlarrikin
What film is this? I have some good contact in the film businesses. Send me the name and prices ansd I will see if we can do better.

Hello! Larry
Bro',

hmm.....somethng tells me not to take your post too seriously!

Cheers, Gra...
Old Jun 29th 2003, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

Default To Gra B

Seriously I had a lovely time in Germany, mixing with people from lots of different bakgrounds. I remember the odd American and Canadian, it was a service community. However now been in the UK for many years, but people think I'm from many areas of the globe, it sounds silly, have trouble feeling settled. Good luck in N.Z.
Old Jun 30th 2003, 1:47 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

God theres little hope for some of you refugees , the Aussies only respect people who have respect for themselves , this bum licking is laughed at.

Old Jun 30th 2003, 1:53 am
The Tooth Fairy

Originally posted by pommie bastard
God theres little hope for some of you refugees , the Aussies only respect people who have respect for themselves , this bum licking is laughed at.

I think you might find that Aussies, as but one example, have a quiet laugh at those who lick their own.

Old Jun 30th 2003, 2:00 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

I think you might find that Aussies, as but one example, have a quiet laugh at those who lick their own.
To quote a TV Brit Chef as he getting the we hate Britain treatment from your loud mouthed Aussie, ''It would be disconcerting if Australians were not rude to us Brits''.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Jun 30th 2003 at 2:05 am.
Old Jun 30th 2003, 2:04 am
The Tooth Fairy

To quote a TV Brit Chef as he getting the we hate Britian treatment from your loud mouthed Aussie, ''It would be disconcerting if Australians were not rude to us Brits''.

Have the Aussies been rude to you recently? You seem a touch "then-thi-tith" on the topic.

Old Jun 30th 2003, 2:09 am
Banned

Have the Aussies been rude to you recently? You seem a touch "then-thi-tith" on the topic.

If an Aussie was not rude I would worry , no problem with know nothing Aussies who have never traveled out of their own backyard its easy to shut them up.
The one way to have a laugh is to lead on the locals with tales of woe from Pomland and then turn it back on them.

Old Jun 30th 2003, 2:12 am
The Tooth Fairy

If an Aussie was not rude I would worry , no problem with know nothing Aussies who have never traveled out of their own backyard its easy to shut them up.
The one way to have a laugh is to lead on the locals with tales of woe from Pomland and then turn it back on them.

Sounds like an adaptation of the venerable Aussie wind up - drop bears come to mind (pardon pun please).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.