Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Not working / Studying

Not working / Studying

Old Dec 12th 2001, 8:30 am
A13
Just Joined

A13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Does it make a difference if you have not been working for the last 18 months when you apply for PR. I took time out to do an MBA (9 months more to finish) and look after my children after a messy seperation. Should i go back to work and apply when MBA is finished. ??

I have 20 years (15 years of management) of international experience in Telecoms, Aerospace and Military industries prior to this

Any help appreciated.

Thks

A
Old Dec 13th 2001, 9:40 am
George Lombard

Hi A,

>
    >
    >
    >

The basic rule is that you have to either have a recent Australian qualification (in
which case the recent work experience requirement is waived) or employment over 12 of
the past 18 months prior to making this application. This requirement is often
overlooked by people using the skilled migration booklet, and hopefully one day they
will improve the design of that.
    >
    >
    >

Doesn't really count for Australia. It is only the last four years which is ever
relevant to the visa application (some skills assessment agencies take other periods
into account).

But you might want to consider an application to New Zealand, which doesn't have the
same recent work experience requirement.

cheers

George Lombard

www.austimmigration.com.au

Old Dec 13th 2001, 9:35 pm
A13
Just Joined

A13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Mr Lombard

Many thanks for that piece of info I will look at NZ also.

Regards

A

The basic rule is that you have to either have a recent Australian qualification (in
which case the recent work experience requirement is waived) or employment over 12 of
the past 18 months prior to making this application. This requirement is often
overlooked by people using the skilled migration booklet, and hopefully one day they
will improve the design of that.
    >
    >
    >

Doesn't really count for Australia. It is only the last four years which is ever
relevant to the visa application (some skills assessment agencies take other periods
into account).

But you might want to consider an application to New Zealand, which doesn't have the
same recent work experience requirement.

cheers

George Lombard

www.austimmigration.com.au
[/B][/QUOTE]