Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Not telling the boss....

Not telling the boss....

Old Nov 14th 2006, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

Wilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really nice
Default Not telling the boss....

I am planning on applying for visa next year but have known for ages that we would be applying but it is so hard not to let it slip at work!

I had my appraisal recently and my boss even mentioned that as my boyf was Australian we might consider migrating over there which is fine but to give them plenty of notice! It was just soooo tempting to say something!

Does feel like I am being very deceiving!

Anyone else in the same boat?
Old Nov 14th 2006, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

tofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud of
Default Re: Not telling the boss....

Originally Posted by Wilso16
I am planning on applying for visa next year but have known for ages that we would be applying but it is so hard not to let it slip at work!

I had my appraisal recently and my boss even mentioned that as my boyf was Australian we might consider migrating over there which is fine but to give them plenty of notice! It was just soooo tempting to say something!

We've kept our application a secret so far but some people have an idea. It gets more awkward as more slips out so keep it as hush hush as you can.
We are (hopefully) validating in July, making the excuse that we are simply going on hols.
At present there is too much at stake to let it out of the bag, so we are constantly denying/laughing it off. As more info drips out, you begin to see the issues created that you don't realise were there when it was under wraps.
Depends on your circumstances I suppose, but my boss knowing now would not be good.
Hope this helps!
Old Nov 14th 2006, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

NealD is a jewel in the roughNealD is a jewel in the roughNealD is a jewel in the roughNealD is a jewel in the rough

I had to get a reference from my boss for my skills assessment at ACS. Luckily my line manager provided it without telling upper management. Suppose I'm lucky to have a good boss. I didn't want to let them know that I was possibly going as its many months away, I was asking for a payrise and knew that I'd be 1st out the door if the company hit hard times again!

I've told my boss that though I'm applying for it, I may not necessarily use it as soon as I get it. Truth is I'm outta here ASAP!
Old Nov 14th 2006, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

tofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by NealD
I had to get a reference from my boss for my skills assessment at ACS. Luckily my line manager provided it without telling upper management. Suppose I'm lucky to have a good boss. I didn't want to let them know that I was possibly going as its many months away, I was asking for a payrise and knew that I'd be 1st out the door if the company hit hard times again!

I've told my boss that though I'm applying for it, I may not necessarily use it as soon as I get it. Truth is I'm outta here ASAP!
Nice one, us too (all being well)
Old Nov 14th 2006, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

h1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to all
Exclamation Re: Not telling the boss....

Originally Posted by tofster
Nice one, us too (all being well)
Hi All,

I am not telling my company anuthing till its time to quit. There is too much of a risk that training and other important activities may be withheld if I tell them, so keeping lips tight. Anyway just because you get skills assesment and medicals and so on passed, the OZ imigration people might still refuse to grant the visa for other silly reasons so its never cut and dry until the Visa is in the passport.

GreenTea
Old Nov 14th 2006, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

NealD is a jewel in the roughNealD is a jewel in the roughNealD is a jewel in the roughNealD is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by h1tvd
Hi All,

I am not telling my company anuthing till its time to quit. There is too much of a risk that training and other important activities may be withheld if I tell them, so keeping lips tight. Anyway just because you get skills assesment and medicals and so on passed, the OZ imigration people might still refuse to grant the visa for other silly reasons so its never cut and dry until the Visa is in the passport.

GreenTea
I don't know what business your in h1tvd, but on the training front check your contract to ensure they can't claim the money back from you for any paid training you take. I'm in IT and I know that if my company pay for training (and its very expensive!) and I leave within 12 months I have to pay it back!
Old Nov 14th 2006, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

GreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really nice
Question Re: Not telling the boss....

I don't know what business your in h1tvd, but on the training front check your contract to ensure they can't claim the money back from you for any paid training you take. I'm in IT and I know that if my company pay for training (and its very expensive!) and I leave within 12 months I have to pay it back!

My contract has no repayment claus and I work in IT aslo, howver I know that all new employees do have to payback a percentage of the cost dependant on how close long its been since the coarse.
Old Nov 14th 2006, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

buzz will become famous soon enoughbuzz will become famous soon enough

I told mine - I had to in order to get the reference for the skills assessment, and had no-one else I could ask as I work for a very small company. I think it was the worst thing I could have done. Everyone else (friends, family) has been incredibly supportive, but he has made things very difficult for me. I think if you have the choice, say nothing until you have to.
Buzz
Old Nov 14th 2006, 4:33 pm
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute

Thats what we did, got the line manager to do the reference, put in a note requesting the HR dept were not contacted until as late as possible...if at all.
Kat xxx
Old Nov 14th 2006, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

That'a what my OH did until we had to send references in, and when we went for our reccie, a few of the agencies he visited they all wanted refernces in advance before they advertise for him.
so I think you need to keep your boss a little sweet see what your contract requires, if your a temp I think you dont need to give full month notice.
Old Nov 14th 2006, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

sarah-jayne has a reputation beyond reputesarah-jayne has a reputation beyond reputesarah-jayne has a reputation beyond reputesarah-jayne has a reputation beyond reputesarah-jayne has a reputation beyond reputesarah-jayne has a reputation beyond reputesarah-jayne has a reputation beyond reputesarah-jayne has a reputation beyond reputesarah-jayne has a reputation beyond reputesarah-jayne has a reputation beyond reputesarah-jayne has a reputation beyond repute

I havent told my boss at work yet simply because she is already having to advertise for two vacancys as we have just had one leave for Oz to travel and another leaving for Oz travelling in January. Think my news would send her over the edge. Gonna wait till we have visa and have sold house then brave it. Its hard not to say anything but i dont think she needs any more stress from me yet.

Sarah
Old Nov 14th 2006, 11:14 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

I'd always advocate not telling work. You'll be overlooked for everything realistically before you move and ultimately the loyalty for any employer is to the company and employer despite any long service. Exceptions of course will exist but personally I'd stay shut and then hand in my notice a month or whenever before leaving.

It may seem disloyal but its a realistic approach. Oh and dont tell anyone at work. Secrets never seem to stay that way lol.
Old Nov 14th 2006, 11:19 pm
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

Easy. Wriggle around on your seat giving everyone the fingers (with both hands) and say "this is crap, I'm outta this dump" and walk out.

Then go home and pray your visa gets approved.

Big.
Old Nov 14th 2006, 11:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

I had to do the same as did another colleague of mine amasingly 2 months later we were made redundant even though in my case I had excellent appraisals all the way through and had recieved promotions etc. On the up side a got a big payout and got to leave the hell hole that I worked ins o couldn't complain.
Old Nov 14th 2006, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Could be worse, I'm not telling certain family members until as late as possible as I know how upsetting it'll be for them

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.