Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

NOT SURE IF THIS IS WHAT WE WANT TO DO ANYMORE???

NOT SURE IF THIS IS WHAT WE WANT TO DO ANYMORE???

Old Oct 5th 2007, 3:51 pm
The Marriott's

kev9672jedi will become famous soon enough
Question NOT SURE IF THIS IS WHAT WE WANT TO DO ANYMORE???

hi all me and oh are having doubts about if this is really what we want to do?
We just passed our TRA and the reality of such a big move is starting to creep in big style!!!

Do we really want to drag our two boys to the other side of the world, what if we hate it?

I know that if we dont do this we will always regret it but I cant help thinking about all the money wasted if it all goes wrong. We have to sell our house to fund the move and I would hate to have to start at the bottom of the property ladder again.

Sorry for being so negative I cant believe my self either, a couple of weeks ago nothing was going to stop us.

Has any one else felt like this and what did you do?

Julie
Old Oct 5th 2007, 4:19 pm
Banned

lark_lrk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NOT SURE IF THIS IS WHAT WE WANT TO DO ANYMORE???

Hi,

A big step like moving country will always bring one to think again and again. Reality is everything has its good side and bad, there will always be the struggle to start life anew in another country, but then there will also be a good side to it. Australia has a lot to offer in terms of a good life style and opportunities. Not that you will see it all at once, but over the years you surely will & if not you your kids. So think again and I hope you make the right decision
Old Oct 5th 2007, 4:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

philnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud of

It has been a constant Yo-Yo of yes we really want to go then thinking, but do we really want to leave our security.

Then we thought, at the end of the day, like you have all ready said, if you dont try you will never know. We will be starting at the bottom of the ladder again, 30 years old and just starting out, that sounds scary,

We will both me leaving well paid secure jobs, friends family just as most other people here will do. it is a gamble, but i think it has the best odds.

Go for it, you have nothing to lose really.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

moores will become famous soon enoughmoores will become famous soon enough

How many people do you speak to that say "I had the chance to go but I never went"............I know I dont want to be sat in the pub in 10 years time saying the same thing!!

I'm sure its not going to be easy moving our families to the other side of the world but me and my oh feel we have to at least try it for our kids sake as well as the lifestyle we could have
we went for a fact finding holiday before making the final decision and I feel sure its the right thing to do we just didnt want to come home

but if it doesnt work out at least we tried it!!

"better to regret something you've done than something you didnt do"
Old Oct 5th 2007, 4:48 pm
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by kev9672jedi
We just passed our TRA and the reality of such a big move is starting to creep in big style!!!

Do we really want to drag our two boys to the other side of the world, what if we hate it?

I know that if we dont do this we will always regret it but I cant help thinking about all the money wasted if it all goes wrong. We have to sell our house to fund the move and I would hate to have to start at the bottom of the property ladder again.

Sorry for being so negative I cant believe my self either, a couple of weeks ago nothing was going to stop us.

Julie
hi Julie,

you know i felt exactly the same about two days ago i really got cold feet we are sending our information off for TRA and i thought this is really happening do i want it to happen so scary . (this is my husbands dream and ive eventually decided i ld love to try it) but i came out of it and so will you.
i guess what i did was really think about it i know if we didn't go i would regret it and i prefer to have tried and if we didn't like it come home but not say in a few years i wish we had of done that kwim
if we did come home we would be starting fresh again but i will deal with that if i have to. which i doubt we will . you will feel that ol excitement building again put it this way what if i told you YOUR NOT GOING! an THATS it how would you feel. if your still worried work on a back up plan are you planning on buying a house in Australia. cause u would always have the money off that to go towards another house here.

dont worry Shell be right as my friend Sean says!
good luck and i hope it passes quickly..
Old Oct 5th 2007, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

kkwall36 has a brilliant futurekkwall36 has a brilliant futurekkwall36 has a brilliant futurekkwall36 has a brilliant futurekkwall36 has a brilliant futurekkwall36 has a brilliant futurekkwall36 has a brilliant future

I totally understand what you are saying.

If you didn't have some kind of worry about moving so far from home you wouldn't be human.

Provided you are making the move for the right reason, then I feel you wont be disappointed. We have friends who moved to Adelaide on a sponsored visa and came back after 5mths. Kids and all. The reason they gave was the job wasn't what they expected it to be, and the place didn't meet their expectations.

The key here I think is expectations! If you are expecting the roads to be paved with gold, and every job to be fantastic, and the whole transition into another culture to be a piece of cake, then you may be in for a shock.

I am more than aware that this will take a lot of hard work to be a success. Work is still work. (More so when it is in 30+c) Jobs dont fall out of trees, and you'll need to work hard, if not harder than you did back home to get the benifits you want from the move.

But again, if you can balance your work, with the quality of life you could have with your family, then that is the big gain that I feel makes it all worthwhile.

Rgds,
Kenny.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

Joe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud ofJoe King has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kev9672jedi

Julie
Presuming you've been to Australia, focus on all the things you liked when there and that will make your life so much better.

As you say, you'll always regret it if you never go - may may regret it if you do, but you can always come home knowing you did what you really wanted to do.

Go for it!!!
Old Oct 5th 2007, 7:48 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by philnorris

Go for it, you have nothing to lose really.
Except your home and money.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

bev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nicebev1 is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: NOT SURE IF THIS IS WHAT WE WANT TO DO ANYMORE???

Hiya

we started the whole process in feb and the day after paying our 1st installment to our agen i thought,What the hell are we doing??? Every day i question why??? You only get 1 chance at life.

I anticipate we will get Visa approval about Feb March 08 and that scares the hell out of me, but i keep reminding myself of the reasons why we started this is the first place, and the one thing that keeps me going is knowing that once we take citizenship my children will have a choice when they're older.

This is something that i have always wanted to do and i had to convince my husband that its best for us (god i hope i'm right)

You know whats best for you and your family and i hope you go for it. There are worst places to be than the Uk but ther are also better

Good luck

Mike Bev & Family
Old Oct 5th 2007, 8:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Reedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bev1
Hiya

we started the whole process in feb and the day after paying our 1st installment to our agen i thought,What the hell are we doing??? Every day i question why??? You only get 1 chance at life.

I anticipate we will get Visa approval about Feb March 08 and that scares the hell out of me, but i keep reminding myself of the reasons why we started this is the first place, and the one thing that keeps me going is knowing that once we take citizenship my children will have a choice when they're older.

This is something that i have always wanted to do and i had to convince my husband that its best for us (god i hope i'm right)

You know whats best for you and your family and i hope you go for it. There are worst places to be than the Uk but ther are also better

Good luck

Mike Bev & Family

Luckily we both decided that this was something that we wanted to do and the kids all want to go too.

We are realistic and know that there are lots of things we will miss about the UK!

Our house isn't one of them as the old saying goes "Home is where the heart is" and at the end of the day when I finish work I will be coming back to my family....No matter where we are in the world if we are together that place is home as far as I am concerned and I know that my OH feels the same way...........

There are so many more opportunities in Australia and most of us with children know that we are giving them the opportunity for a better life - we would be mad not too.

I am sure in 2 or 3 years time we will be looking back and reflecting on having made the best decision of our lives.

I also think that to go over there with a realistic attitude not expecting everything to be perfect is healthy!!!!

Laura x
Old Oct 5th 2007, 8:32 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Julie.

Must admit, we didnt feel this way... during the migration process, and to be fair, we have never looked back. BUT,,, on reflection, it is very daunting, and a huge upheaval. Lets face it, moving house is second only to divorce in the stress stakes... where does migration come into that equation?

Yanno, its not the end of the world, ok.. you may have a few years under your belt on your home in uk, mortgage wise, but, trust me life in Australia, is 1000 times better than Uk.

Thats not to say it hasnt got its lows and highs, and I suppose that is why, many people quote the 2 year itch rule, on arriving in Australia. Whereas a great proportion of people do in fact give up the "dream" and venture back to uk, head held high, and a few quid down.

I would get down the DVD shop, and hire yourself some DVD's , get a armful of high octane choccy, and some alcopops, and veg' out on the lounge...

I would highly recommend..

The Move, starring Alf Garnett ( think its called )
The Castle, Aussie Iconic film, depicting real Aussie Values
Kath and Kim, watch the entire series, of suburban life ( comedy )
Opal Dreams, will give you some inkling of Aussie heat at Xmas
Romper Stomper, mad max meets gladiator meets quadrophenia
Blurred, gold coast film, about the Schoolies Weekend every year

As for your boys, Australian schools are excellent, albeit teachers get on your tits, phoning every week about some minor misdemeanor... but kids are given a voice in Australia, and are positively encouraged to voice their opinions and provide evidence and substantiate there opinions with reason.

I look back, and think.. if my Kids were still in the UK, they would be hanging out with some kids on the street corner, snot running down their face, trousers down their arses, and pink hands and noses, effing and blinding, and pronouncing every "th" word with a "f"

Good luck Steve
Old Oct 5th 2007, 9:01 pm
Just Joined

Cubbers will become famous soon enough

Good comments from all, I too don't want to be sat in a pub in 10 years saying "we could of gone", give it a chance I think the problem with those who come back think they're moving to paradise and it's a life long holiday, yes it's a better way of living and people seem to be much more friendly than this place, but for the normal folk like me who can't live off their interest gained from the millions, I still have to work... think of the sun, the walking on the beach after tea watching you're kids playing in the golden sand, learning to surf, snorkelling with some of the worlds most beautiful fish... remember we still live on the same planet and have to keep ourselves covered, clothed and fed.. no reason why we can't expect more than the average bear though.

I'd rather have that than Gordon Brown putting up fuel and screwing us for more pennies we don't have.

Old Oct 5th 2007, 9:10 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave cubley
Good comments from all, I too don't want to be sat in a pub in 10 years saying "we could of gone", give it a chance I think the problem with those who come back think they're moving to paradise and it's a life long holiday, yes it's a better way of living and people seem to be much more friendly than this place, but for the normal folk like me who can't live off their interest gained from the millions, I still have to work... think of the sun, the walking on the beach after tea watching you're kids playing in the golden sand, learning to surf, snorkelling with some of the worlds most beautiful fish... remember we still live on the same planet and have to keep ourselves covered, clothed and fed.. no reason why we can't expect more than the average bear though.

I'd rather have that than Gordon Brown putting up fuel and screwing us for more pennies we don't have.

Mate, sounds Idyllic.

Australia, ... fuel prices go up and down, more frequently, than Paris Hiltons knickers.

Seriously though, wherever you are or live, you will make the best of what youve got and the most of what you have.

Steve
Old Oct 5th 2007, 9:15 pm
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
Mate, sounds Idyllic.

Australia, ... fuel prices go up and down, more frequently, than Paris Hiltons knickers. very good

Seriously though, wherever you are or live, you will make the best of what youve got and the most of what you have.

Steve
Yep But its still cheaper than were i live
Old Oct 5th 2007, 9:47 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Baby75
Yep But its still cheaper than were i live
Actually, it isnt. If you look at the broader picture.

Based on Pound to Aussie conversion, extra mileages per trip etc..

I remember a fella few years back, I had met on a business trip, in Wales, he was from Geelong, and wanted to catch up.. he said to me..

Steve, when you are a tourist, everything in AUstralia, is 2.5 dollars to the quid..

When you live there, everything will suddenly be worth 1 dollar to 1 quid..

Takes a bit of getting your head round, but if you think about it, long and hard, then it is a true statement, in essence...

So as I am paying $1.21 for my Diesel per litre at the moment, its fair to say, as a pommy equivalent in blighty that would represent, One Pound Twenty One Pence

sorry < in Australia, aint got a pound sign

Steve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.