Reload this Page >

Not sure I want to go now.

Not sure I want to go now.

Old Dec 7th 2006, 9:35 pm
Account Closed

Funky Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Not sure I want to go now.

Hi all, I will try and be brief.

A couple of times in the nineties I wanteds to emigrate to Australia but my wife flatly said no. Things changed in my life 3 years ago and my wife said she would go given the chance so in April 2005 we started the process.

We had meds done 2 weeks ago. 2 years is a short time in your life and also a very long time in my opinion in terms of what can change for you. 2 years ago I was a little down and fed up and would have gone there and then.

I am not sure about going anymore but know it will always be a regret if I don't.There are many things I dislike about the U.K and many things I like, I am sure after a while in Oz I will be unhappy with certain aspects of life there.

I have visited perth this year and have a family member there and did like it. If I get the visa should I validate even if it means another £7/8 k holiday then at least if things change in 2/3 years I have the option to go, again a lot can change in a couple of years.
Also as like many others on these forums this process has taken 2 years of emotional strain not to mention a small fortune in various fees.

Thanks.
Old Dec 7th 2006, 10:32 pm
gjs
Forum Regular

gjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud of
Default Re: Not sure I want to go now.

Originally Posted by Funky Monkey

A couple of times in the nineties I wanteds to emigrate to Australia but my wife flatly said no. Things changed in my life 3 years ago and my wife said she would go given the chance so in April 2005 we started the process.

We had meds done 2 weeks ago. 2 years is a short time in your life and also a very long time in my opinion in terms of what can change for you. 2 years ago I was a little down and fed up and would have gone there and then.

I am not sure about going anymore but know it will always be a regret if I don't.There are many things I dislike about the U.K and many things I like, I am sure after a while in Oz I will be unhappy with certain aspects of life there.

I have visited perth this year and have a family member there and did like it. If I get the visa should I validate even if it means another £7/8 k holiday then at least if things change in 2/3 years I have the option to go, again a lot can change in a couple of years.
Also as like many others on these forums this process has taken 2 years of emotional strain not to mention a small fortune in various fees.

Thanks.
I think you answered your own question when you say ">>> I am not sure about going anymore but know it will always be a regret if I don't".
It's such an emotional upheaval and such a long drawn out process from thinking about emigrating to actually arriving here.For us,it was a process that took 3 years,and there were certainly times when I questioned whether I was doing the right thing.But until you do it you wil never know.
I suppose a lot depends on why you want to come as well.I love my country of birth,and I look at it like this...it's always going to be there.If this doesn't work out for us,we can always return.There are good and bad things about everywhere you might choose to live,for us,we are having an experience that so far has been a great one..and the only thing I'm determined not to have in my life are any more regrets and What ifs.
Re. validating...you've been this year and liked it in Perth,personally I would save the 7/8k and just come.Maybe use the money to see other parts of Australia when you have arrived?

Last edited by gjs; Dec 7th 2006 at 10:35 pm. Reason: add on
Old Dec 7th 2006, 10:42 pm
Senior Stella Member

Plug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nice

Do you have any kids, I would definately recommend it if you do, we have three under 11 and they all love it here, my wife and I are taking time to settle and make friends. We chose Brisbane mainly due to the fact my wife has some family here but I think it was the right choice of location.

If you can spare the cash then do a reccie but just think 7/8k will get you a decent car when you arrive. best of luck.
Old Dec 7th 2006, 11:05 pm
Account Closed

Thank you Gjs and Plug.
I am very glad of your replies. Gjs You made some valid points about your home country always being there and I never looked at that before.

I have even thought about going for 2 years and people have sad that it's mad as it's a big upheaval. The thing is it's only money, I am not wealthy but if I go to Oz for 2 years and come back then so what it's an experience. I am in construction and self employed and am not really going anywhere although I do like my job, I only just earn enough for my wife to not work and have an average 3 bed semi so I am not exactly turning my back on a city career. I do not wish that to sound negative but my point is I just have an average life and job so I have little to lose.
Old Dec 7th 2006, 11:10 pm
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

Your emotions will be up and down the closer you get to the "got it". It is only natural to have doubts, we had plenty but when it came to the crunch we knew it was what we all wanted. Just ride the rollercoaster and see how you feel closer to the time and if you are still having serious doubts then validating your visa is a small price to pay to be sure as it will cost a hell of alot more if you find it is not for you
Old Dec 7th 2006, 11:26 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Plug
Do you have any kids, I would definately recommend it if you do, we have three under 11 and they all love it here, my wife and I are taking time to settle and make friends. We chose Brisbane mainly due to the fact my wife has some family here but I think it was the right choice of location.

If you can spare the cash then do a reccie but just think 7/8k will get you a decent car when you arrive. best of luck.
Hi Plug.
I have 2 boys aged 4 and 6.
My 6 year old does not want to go to Australia although he is too you young to know what is best for him and that does not entirely worry me as I think he will settle. My problem is he is very bright. I am not competitive and come from a poor backround but if we are honest we all want to give our kids the best start. He has been tested and has the reading ability of a 9 year old, that may sound crazy but his school in M.K is part of the Kidsread scheme which is a new reading programme via Cambridge University.

If we moved to Australia I worry he may suffer in certain educational areas but also think how much more we would be adding to his life (its not all about being bright and getting the good job).

Sorry to waffle on but the education in Australia is an issue for us (I have no opinions and don't know how good or bad it is it it is just a concern).

Last edited by Funky Monkey; Dec 7th 2006 at 11:30 pm.
Old Dec 7th 2006, 11:27 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sel
Your emotions will be up and down the closer you get to the "got it". It is only natural to have doubts, we had plenty but when it came to the crunch we knew it was what we all wanted. Just ride the rollercoaster and see how you feel closer to the time and if you are still having serious doubts then validating your visa is a small price to pay to be sure as it will cost a hell of alot more if you find it is not for you
Excellent advice. I couldn't agree more with this.

A validation visit would cost you 7 or 8 grand tops. Making a big mistake could cost you a hell of a lot more. We thought we'd have nothing to lose by trying it. We lost a fortune. So think carefully about what you really do want.

Everyone does have doubts before they sell up and leave their loved ones and you only get one life that we know of so you probably would wonder what if etc. etc.

For some people it's the best decision that they will ever make and yes it's an experience but just be prepared to suffer financially IF it goes pear shaped. Please don't think that you can't lose anything by trying because I know that you can.

Good luck in your decision
Old Dec 7th 2006, 11:36 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by LouiseD
Excellent advice. I couldn't agree more with this.

A validation visit would cost you 7 or 8 grand tops. Making a big mistake could cost you a hell of a lot more. We thought we'd have nothing to lose by trying it. We lost a fortune. So think carefully about what you really do want.

Everyone does have doubts before they sell up and leave their loved ones and you only get one life that we know of so you probably would wonder what if etc. etc.

For some people it's the best decision that they will ever make and yes it's an experience but just be prepared to suffer financially IF it goes pear shaped. Please don't think that you can't lose anything by trying because I know that you can.

Good luck in your decision
Thanks Louise.

Would any of us go through with the process if we knew? What a headf***.

Off to bed now
Old Dec 7th 2006, 11:57 pm
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks.
Yes i would definatley get your visa validated. Thats what we did..and like you said a lot can change in the process, but at least you know they are validated.
If you do come to Perth for a visit again, try living it as if you were actually living here rather than a holiday, as it is so different. For me Perth has many bad points aswell as the good, so it depends what you want in life.
But if you get the chance..take it..lifes too short
Old Dec 8th 2006, 5:22 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by paulrachel
Yes i would definatley get your visa validated. Thats what we did..and like you said a lot can change in the process, but at least you know they are validated.
If you do come to Perth for a visit again, try living it as if you were actually living here rather than a holiday, as it is so different. For me Perth has many bad points aswell as the good, so it depends what you want in life.
But if you get the chance..take it..lifes too short
Hi again.
i did rent a house in Hocking for a couple of weeks to try to get a feel for it but also had a week doing the tourist things so it was more a holiday.
What are the bad points in your opinion on Perth, I would be interested as a point of interest. I/ we found it quiet and a little boring but i use the term loosely as I do not want to start a U.K versus Oz debate.
We really loved it having said that.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Streaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond repute

Hi again.
i did rent a house in Hocking for a couple of weeks to try to get a feel for it but also had a week doing the tourist things so it was more a holiday.
What are the bad points in your opinion on Perth, I would be interested as a point of interest. I/ we found it quiet and a little boring but i use the term loosely as I do not want to start a U.K versus Oz debate.
We really loved it having said that.
Hi FM,

Could I suggest that if you do decide to do a validation trip, research the schools in the area and ask them directly if your sons (if they are old enough) could attend the school(s) for a couple of days to help you all get a feel for education in Australia. We went last year for a holiday and our son went to a local school for a week just before they broke up for the Christmas holidays and we all found it a positive experience. So when and if our visa is approved our son knows what to expect and what is expected of him. I know it was probably easier for us cause we were there for 6 weeks so we had lots of time but it was worth the hassle as my youngest is not worried about the move at all now(apart from missing his friends and family), and we feel happier that we are making the right decision.

I hope it all works out for you and wish you all the very best.
S xx
Old Dec 8th 2006, 6:20 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.
Think these feelings and doubts are pretty similar for everyone regardless of how long your visa has taken, ours has only taken just over 4 months and we still have our reservations!!!! But hey if we dont go we'll never know will we??!!! Like they say you could always come back, lifes too short....... Best of luck whatever you decide....C x
Old Dec 8th 2006, 8:21 pm
Account Closed

Thanks streaks and Shiels.

A good point about trying the school - never thought of that.
Thanks for all the support everyone.
Old Dec 8th 2006, 9:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

mbike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Plug.
I have 2 boys aged 4 and 6.
My 6 year old does not want to go to Australia although he is too you young to know what is best for him and that does not entirely worry me as I think he will settle. My problem is he is very bright. I am not competitive and come from a poor backround but if we are honest we all want to give our kids the best start. He has been tested and has the reading ability of a 9 year old, that may sound crazy but his school in M.K is part of the Kidsread scheme which is a new reading programme via Cambridge University.

If we moved to Australia I worry he may suffer in certain educational areas but also think how much more we would be adding to his life (its not all about being bright and getting the good job).

Sorry to waffle on but the education in Australia is an issue for us (I have no opinions and don't know how good or bad it is it it is just a concern).
Hi FM,

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is how much more opportunity there is to do things together as a family here. The is a more relaxed attitude to work and the work/life balance definitely tips in favour of life. All of which means you get to spend more time together doing fun things. This makes for happier kids (especially when they're little like your ones). In my experience as a teacher for 5 years, it was the happier kids that consistently did better in class.

Good luck

Mark
Old Dec 8th 2006, 10:34 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by mbike
Hi FM,

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is how much more opportunity there is to do things together as a family here. The is a more relaxed attitude to work and the work/life balance definitely tips in favour of life. All of which means you get to spend more time together doing fun things. This makes for happier kids (especially when they're little like your ones). In my experience as a teacher for 5 years, it was the happier kids that consistently did better in class.

Good luck

Mark
Hi Mark.
Are you there as a teacher now? How do you find the education system?We really do things as a family here and I am lucky that I work during the day so see my children every day. My Dad first went to Australia in 1996 and it is an overused saying but he was told that us (brits) live to work where the Australians work to live. As a naive twenty year old I took no notice but I now know what the Australian meant. Life may be tough and not based on material wealth but it finally clicked with me some years later

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.