Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Not homesick really , but....

Wikiposts

Not homesick really , but....

Old Oct 25th 2003, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

I don't post a new thread very often so I was thrilled to see the number of responses this one had, however it's gone a little off the topic and I would like to ask how other people cope with the unfamiliarity of a place and how they have found themselves a new social circle..

Thanks for your help

Gill
Old Oct 25th 2003, 2:57 pm
Just Joined

nicky s is an unknown quantity at this point

I understand how you feel Gill. When I first came to Oz I was terribly homesick but didn`t neccessarily want to move back to the Uk. It was a strange feeling of not feeling as though I belonged anywhere...occasionally getting freaked out at being so far away from the people I love, my roots etc..took me a good few months..about six to be honest before I got over that feeling. I was by myself aswell, didn`t know anyone here...nine years later i`m still here and loving it! It`s a big move Gill, give yourself time..it`ll get better (hopefully).
I still keep in regular contact by email and phone with several friends from the U.K..always will. Have dual Citizenship now but will always be English and proud of it...just prefer the lifestyle here..have some great friends here now and a dog....good luck x
Old Oct 25th 2003, 3:10 pm
Just Joined

nicky s is an unknown quantity at this point

Look at the unfamiliarity as positive thing, it`s exciting getting to know new things and people. As for meeting people well work is always a good way, I met alot of people through my job. Also I moved into share accomodation. I was on my own so that was a good option..if you are with someone else or buying property that`s different. Hobbies..what do you like to do in your spare time? I joined a yoga group. Are you in a small town? Depends on your situation. Also remember that friendships take time. It`s one thing meeting people but building those trusting friendships like the ones you have back in the U.K takes time. That`s something I found a bit hard too..but it happens, you just need to work at it. Believe in yourself and your dreams though impossible things may seem... do people on this site ever meet?
Old Oct 25th 2003, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Originally posted by nicky s
Look at the unfamiliarity as positive thing, it`s exciting getting to know new things and people. As for meeting people well work is always a good way, I met alot of people through my job. Also I moved into share accomodation. I was on my own so that was a good option..if you are with someone else or buying property that`s different. Hobbies..what do you like to do in your spare time? I joined a yoga group. Are you in a small town? Depends on your situation. Also remember that friendships take time. It`s one thing meeting people but building those trusting friendships like the ones you have back in the U.K takes time. That`s something I found a bit hard too..but it happens, you just need to work at it. Believe in yourself and your dreams though impossible things may seem... do people on this site ever meet?

I agree with most of what Nicky has said. I have been in NZ for nearly 2yrs and have only just started to get a close network of friends. It was made a nit more difficult gfor me as i didnt have young kids, and didnt work for nearly a year when i first arrived. Its really not easy to barge into someones life who already has a circle of friends, and not everyone is looking for more.

As Nicky said, it takes time to develop, and i think its not a bad thing. Gives you plenty of time to just focus on yourself, get your barings and enjoy your new surroundings.

My problem now is leaving the friends i have made in NZ and starting all over again in Oz!!
Old Oct 25th 2003, 6:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juls is an unknown quantity at this point

We have been in Adelaide since January and have settled very well, you do miss family and friends but with communications far better than 20 odd years ago it's easy to get some one at the end of a phone, ok a cuddle would be great but hey the sound of their voice as to do !

I haven't missed "Bliety" once it's far cleaner here and the sun nearly always shines not to mention the fantastic beaches...

Hope this helps

Juls
Old Oct 25th 2003, 8:12 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Gill and Rob
I don't post a new thread very often so I was thrilled to see the number of responses this one had, however it's gone a little off the topic and I would like to ask how other people cope with the unfamiliarity of a place and how they have found themselves a new social circle..

Thanks for your help

Gill
My opinion....the most important thing is to find a job, not just for the cash (although that IS very important ), but for the friends you make at work.

Join clubs if you have any hobbies etc.....meet a few expats too if you can.
Old Oct 26th 2003, 8:42 pm
tennisoz

Thanks for your help

Gill
I can give you the reverse - how I found a new social circle coming to the UK. As others have said join something. In my case I made a lot of friends through my new job and through my sport - tennis. I put myself forward on committees, volunteered to do coaching etc, etc. Put yourself about and it is amazing how quickly you can meet new friends. It is a standing joke in the area I live in (SW Scotland) that all the committees are full of what they call 'incomers'. An incomer to a Scot is basically someone from England!

TennisOz

Old Oct 30th 2003, 2:11 am
Vee
BE Enthusiast

Vee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Not homesick really , but....

Originally posted by dotty
Over here I always have to watch "my english side" and stand there politely bored to death with footy chat or layby chat. Some parts of us will never be aussie.
God you must hang around with some right boring old mingers if that's all they talk about.

When I was in Sydney (there for 7 months) we met some wonderful people who were on the same wave length as me and Mr V.

There are people here in the UK that also talk about boring things as well you know.
Old Oct 30th 2003, 2:13 am
Vee
BE Enthusiast

Vee is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your help

Gill
Get a job in a local pub - one or two evenings a week. You'll soon get to know some locals.

How exciting seeing a whole bunch of different things - soon though they will become familiar....enjoy the newness while you can.