Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can't get a halloween pumpkin!!

Can't get a halloween pumpkin!!

Old Oct 29th 2003, 9:54 pm
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold
Default Can't get a halloween pumpkin!!

This is our 1st halloween on this side of the globe. Every other year I've bought the traditional big orange pumpkin and carved it out. Got a kit with patterns and everything and have done some really wicked ones in the past.
But its the wrong time of year here to get them, being as its spring not Autumn. They have got plastic ones in the warehouse but its just not the same.
Aaaah well never mind we shall enjoy it all the same. I must say it is nice to only get trick or treaters on halloween here as apposed to the full 2 weeks beforehand like we used to get in the UK.
Going to enjoy bonfire night there is a fireworks display on at the speedway on Saturday.

Paula
Old Oct 29th 2003, 10:05 pm
WBB

sorry no help but we are going to buy our pumpkin in the morning, will spend the afternoon carving it ready to stick a candle inside for when it gets dark.

take a look at some of the carvings on this site

pumpkingutter

Old Oct 29th 2003, 10:13 pm
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by welshboybilly
sorry no help but we are going to buy our pumpkin in the morning, will spend the afternoon carving it ready to stick a candle inside for when it gets dark.

pumpkingutter

WOW!

Mine were not that good, but I did do a pretty fab witch riding a broomstick on last years. I shall miss doing it this year. They have grey crown pumpkins here but you would need a pneumatic drill to carve one of those, I have broken 3 knives on them just cutting them up to roast in the oven, mmmmmmmmmm roast pumpkin!

Paula
Old Oct 29th 2003, 10:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

chris hogan is an unknown quantity at this point

pumpkingutter
Billy how do you find these things out I'm totally flabbergastered,
Ive heard of trainspotters even planespotters but pumpkin spotters well I don't know
Old Oct 29th 2003, 10:24 pm
WBB

Originally posted by chris hogan
Billy how do you find these things out I'm totally flabbergastered,
Ive heard of trainspotters even planespotters but pumpkin spotters well I don't know
ha ha sorry i am a closet pumpkin gutter.

Old Oct 30th 2003, 6:37 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can't get a halloween pumpkin!!

Originally posted by Watt Dabney
This is our 1st halloween on this side of the globe. Every other year I've bought the traditional big orange pumpkin and carved it out. Got a kit with patterns and everything and have done some really wicked ones in the past.
But its the wrong time of year here to get them, being as its spring not Autumn. They have got plastic ones in the warehouse but its just not the same.
Aaaah well never mind we shall enjoy it all the same. I must say it is nice to only get trick or treaters on halloween here as apposed to the full 2 weeks beforehand like we used to get in the UK.
Going to enjoy bonfire night there is a fireworks display on at the speedway on Saturday.

Paula
I hate to be pedantic
OK - I lied - I love being pedantic.

Apart from the obviously pedantic point that the traditional "Jack of the Lantern" was carved from a potato or turnip rather than an American fruit, I am a little confused about bonfire night.
Are they really celebrating Guy Fawkes? I always thought that was a very English/British thing.

Cheers,DagBoy
Old Oct 30th 2003, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by DagBoy
I hate to be pedantic
OK - I lied - I love being pedantic.

Apart from the obviously pedantic point that the traditional "Jack of the Lantern" was carved from a potato or turnip rather than an American fruit, I am a little confused about bonfire night.
Are they really celebrating Guy Fawkes? I always thought that was a very English/British thing.

Cheers,DagBoy
Any pumpkin recipes? (Apart from pumpkin with nutella?)
Old Oct 30th 2003, 7:16 am
WBB

Originally posted by Larissa
Any pumpkin recipes? (Apart from pumpkin with nutella?)

uuurghhhh throw the stuff in the bin it is NOT nice.

Old Oct 30th 2003, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

wombat is an unknown quantity at this point

uuurghhhh throw the stuff in the bin it is NOT nice.
have you tried pumpkin pie ? here is my recipe

line a 9 inch baking tray with pastry
blind bake the pastry for 10 minutes

1 1/2 cups of cooked mashed pumpkin
3 eggs
1/3 cup soft brown sugar
2 tablespoons of maple syrup
3/4 cup single cream
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/2 cup chopped up peacan nuts
2 peices of stem ginger in syrup chopped up

mix all the above ingredeints together and tip into the pastry case
sprinkle with icing sugar
bake at 180 degrees for 50 minutes

it is yummy
lucy
Old Oct 30th 2003, 2:02 pm
No need for rose tinted.

the Wombats has a spectacular aura aboutthe Wombats has a spectacular aura aboutthe Wombats has a spectacular aura about

Do people really go to so much trouble? I thought my attempt at 2 eyes a nose and a mouth were artistic.
Old Oct 30th 2003, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by wombat
have you tried pumpkin pie ? here is my recipe

line a 9 inch baking tray with pastry
blind bake the pastry for 10 minutes

1 1/2 cups of cooked mashed pumpkin
3 eggs
1/3 cup soft brown sugar
2 tablespoons of maple syrup
3/4 cup single cream
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/2 cup chopped up peacan nuts
2 peices of stem ginger in syrup chopped up

mix all the above ingredeints together and tip into the pastry case
sprinkle with icing sugar
bake at 180 degrees for 50 minutes

it is yummy
lucy
Yummy, ta Lucy
doesn't look too difficult!
Larissa
Old Oct 30th 2003, 3:12 pm
WBB

Originally posted by j4yne
Do people really go to so much trouble? I thought my attempt at 2 eyes a nose and a mouth were artistic.

just spent half an hour doing my pumpkin, keeps the little un's happy for about 2 minutes!!!

will post a pic later