Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Not given a Tax Declaration Form

Not given a Tax Declaration Form

Old Jul 7th 2011, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

LauraMunroBruce is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Not given a Tax Declaration Form

I've been studying childcare for over a year and as part of my course I have to do some work experience. After my placement last year they asked me to come and work for them casually. This was in December of last year, I filled in an application form, on this they asked for my bank accounts and TFN.
Everything was going well, I would work there on my occasional days off from school and sometimes in the holidays. There were several issues with pay, as the owner does her own payroll, but whenever I mentioned I hadn't received my pay it was sorted. My payslips were rarely provided but last week when I mentioned it in passing they said they were all in my work folder and I took them all home.

Now, of course it is tax time, I have the payment summary from my first job so I started filling out the etax form to save some time until I get the form from the childcare centre.
Upon closer look of my childcare payslips I realise that the entire time that I've been there I've had the grand total of $108 tax taken out!! Now the work is sporadic and occasional and I get paid every fortnight but surely as a second job I should be paying a LOT more (my total wages during that time has been around the 3k mark). I went onto the ATO website and did some checking on their calculators and from what I can figure out my employer has been paying me as if I am claiming the Tax Free Threshold.

While discussing this with my partner he asked about the Tax Declaration Form, the thing is I can't remember filling out one of these! It may seem silly but I've been lucky enough to stay in the same job for over 2.5years so I suppose I forgot that I filled one out for my other job and didn't think anything of it.

I suppose I am just going to have to pay the tax back that I owe but what should I do about the form? Was it the employers responsibility to make me fill one out? And should she really be clicking the box that says I am claiming the Tax Free Threshold without her actually having a form signed by me to say so?

I will try and go by one of the tax offices early next week but I have to go and work at the childcare centre tomorow and I wondered if anyone had any avice before I go to work tomorrow
Thanks
L