Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

not finding anywhere to live and panicking!!!

not finding anywhere to live and panicking!!!

Old Feb 11th 2009, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Alexandra Headland on The sunshine Coast (100km North of Brisbane)
Sunshine Coast Settlers is a jewel in the roughSunshine Coast Settlers is a jewel in the roughSunshine Coast Settlers is a jewel in the roughSunshine Coast Settlers is a jewel in the roughSunshine Coast Settlers is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: not finding anywhere to live and panicking!!!

Originally Posted by Ryem78
A question for everyone...is it worth getting a fake reference from a landlord?? We've owned our home for the last 5 years, but I don't think I want to go through the hassle that Kelly's going through now, so was thinking of getting a reference from friends who own a few properties here... Is that a really such a bad, evil thing to do??

No don't get a fake reference. You don't need one and the one you fake will be the one that they check. If you get caught out you won't stand much chance of getting a house. When you decide to sell or rent your home out I presume you will get around 3 agents to give you a valuation before you decide which one you want to go with, explain your situation to each Estate Agent and ask for a reference on the state of your home, i.e. It's clean and tidy, beautifully presented and well maintained e.t.c. Ask them to put the value on too if it is worth quite a bit and ask for all of this on letter headed paper. If you have a while before you emigrate contact your service providers for references that you pay on time. Get employers, bank managers & friends in high places to write character references for you. Rossi is right that legally, they don't hold too much weight over here but you need all you can get and right now it's all you have. Think about it from the landlords' point of view. Would you take a family with no references or a family who has a vast amount of evidence that they are caring people who will respect his property? These references do sway landlords opinions and that's what you need.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

elmao is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Ryem78
Kelly it sounds like things might be falling into place with your parents help - hope it all works out!

A question for everyone...is it worth getting a fake reference from a landlord?? We've owned our home for the last 5 years, but I don't think I want to go through the hassle that Kelly's going through now, so was thinking of getting a reference from friends who own a few properties here... Is that a really such a bad, evil thing to do??
You could just get a friend or relative in UK to fax a reference letter direct to the agent. Just make sure surnames don't match and that your friend/relative can answer a follow up reference telephone call if needed.

We did this to get our 1st rental as previous rentals we had outside Australia were private (no agent) and we no longer had the contact details for the landlords. It seemed to work :-) And then two years later when we changed rental we had a nice reference from an Australia rental agent!

Ps we also provided bank statements/ work contracts etc

Don't see how its a bad/evil thing to do if you know you can pay the rent and won't damage the property!
Old Feb 12th 2009, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

highersights is a jewel in the roughhighersights is a jewel in the roughhighersights is a jewel in the roughhighersights is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by taylor25
pre children this wouldnt have been a problem but now with a nerlly 4 year old, we need somewhere nice, clean, modern and suitable.

We have lost out on over 4 properties we put in for last week!!!, and i cried alot (when we rented in 04, went and saw property and signed there and then for keys!!)
Everywhere now is an open house with loads of people attending inspections (we always first to arrive and i have hundreds of copies of all of our details, birth certificates, passports, declaration from partners boss etc, and we complete the application there and then, with all of our details) were in sydney.

We have offered more than the weekly price a few times and even offered to pay 6 months totally up front in cash,.....but still not getting anywhere.

We have upped our price now too, to $500 a week, loads to view but just not getting them, not sure if its because we have a child or because we have no rental history (my parents live in dubai so we have always lived in their house in uk, and so evrything inc bills in their names)

dont know what more we can do really, offered to pay 6 months upfront!!, not sure what more to do.

Anyone else had problems or advise

(also we only have until the 19th feb to move out, otherwise the place we are in is $2000 a week!!!)

thanks kelly
I know how you feel. It took us weeks in Sydney. It is desperate here - a disgrace actually (like the NSW Government...).

Anyway, you are doing the right things, i.e. being organised and especially having 6 months rent up front.

The advice I would give is to find a small real estate agent and try to get on friendly terms with them. We found that after a few weeks by getting on friendly terms with a nice agent (they are rare, but they exist), we were first in the queue. The younger agents are hopeless - it's just about the money for them. The chains are the same. Being a landlords market, they don't care about the relationship with the tenant. The more experienced agents remember the bad times as well as the good I suppose. They probably also have children so may empathise more.

For us it also came down to going for a more expensive place. We pay $550 p/w for an renovated 2 bedroom house in the eastern suburbs. We can only just barely afford it. It we left, it would probably be at least $600 p/w. We've actually had to paint some rooms to get it in a livable state, but the landlords are elderly and nice and live very close by. We had the added headache of having a dog - which closes down 90-95% of the options in Sydney (never again).The other option of course is to move further out. The classic ocean/harbour/inner West expat spots will always be harsh for competition. Further North, South or West should be easier.

So in a nutshell, I suggest getting on friendly terms with a small, independent agent (some don't even advertise on domain). Other than that it is a case of upping the $$$ or looking further out ...either way I sympathise and dread ever having to do it again here.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

taylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant future

thanks for the advice everyone, have added the letter from my parents and copy of one of there accounts (which has alot of money in it, so hopefully no more probs)

When we lived in here in 04, we saw the apartment, signed the lease and got given the keys the same day (we was in eastern suburb of vaucluse on diamond bay road in a huge 2 bed apart)

Have seem on the net huge places further out for less money but i do want to be near the city as know i will get homesick without lots of hussle and bussle.

Prepared to go up to $550 pw (well my parents are..lol) but would rather stick to the budget of 500pw, loads more to see sat again - this is exhausting work and thank god i have my parents here to support and help me otherwise i would be up shit creek without a paddle!!!!!

thanks again everyone

kelly

Last edited by taylor25; Feb 12th 2009 at 10:09 am.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 10:36 am
ABCDiamond

If you want to go further west, our tenant moved out today, (a bit early) ... and as far as I am aware, they have not yet got a tenant for it.

Real Estate Agents link: St Clair $285 pw

Old Feb 13th 2009, 4:20 am
Forum Regular

taylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant future

Spent all morning crying, what it is with the bloody estate agents here, they dont even have to decency to put you out your misery.
The property we really want is obviosuly not ours as they are showing it tommorrow again, why cant they just let us know, i have rang all day and left messages, its just so rude:curse:

The other property we wnted (same agency) they said had gone but looked online and they are showing it again, i rang and asked why we was lied to, if the owners didnt want us, just tell us and the reason so we know what we doing wrong.

And another one i wanted last week is back on, rang them and fair enough theres fell through as the people decided to buy a dog and this wasnt allowed, was thinking of applying again but this time adding the letter and bank statement from my parents, but whats the bloody point, we offered to pay 3 months upfront last time and offered more per week and they didnt want us then, so paying 6 months upfront wont make any difference.

We are nice, well presented people, just dont know what to do, think may have to go back to dubai with my daughter and parents whilst partner finds us someone as cant keep paying $2000 a week for this place...going to cry somemore.

I have been on the internet looking for properties all day everyday and have viwed so many so am really really trying here.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 6:34 am
Forum Regular

Kassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to allKassy is a name known to all

Gosh, that is awful

Probably a good idea to leave the popular suburbs alone for now - look for something that is really out of the way (say, in the boonies, where there is less demand/competition - downside being longer distance to work/shopping). Once you've established yourselves (e.g. built a bit of credit history) then you can venture out househunting again.

Good luck and hope you find something soon.
Old Feb 16th 2009, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

Ryem78 is an unknown quantity at this point

Any update Kelly? I hope you managed to find something perfect!
Old Feb 16th 2009, 6:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really nice

Kelly, that is crazy!
Have you managed to find out what is "wrong" with you?
This must be sooooo frustrating!

Any updates...?
Old Feb 16th 2009, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

We have somewhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!well hopefully..lol
Deposit been paid and bank transfer made for the first 6 months plus bond etc.

Brand new just finished 2 level apartments, stainless steel appliances (not including fridge or washing machine - but everything else) lovely tiles and carpet, 2 bathrooms, 2 bedrooms, huge balcony, room for laundry, storage, 2 car spaces underground, thai resturant on the complex, 1 min walk to the highstreet and lots of resturants and shops, big supermarket across road.

In lovely area of Gladesville which is 5 mins to five dock, abbotsford etc and takes me about 15-20 mins drive to the city.

Hopefully should get keys tommorrow, just waiting for transfer to go through (from jersey so may take a few days)

Ordered our furniture the other day, so all ready for pick up, and got a free sat nav thrown in..lol

Feel much better now, thanks for everyones advice and support

kelly
Old Feb 16th 2009, 11:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

Do you mind me asking how much? PM if you'd prefer Thanks
Old Feb 17th 2009, 1:48 am
Forum Regular

It was up for $530 per week but we got for $475pw, loads of apartments left in the building, all different layouts/kitchens but all just finished so nice and new/clean and sure most are 2 beds and pretty much same size. (the one we have has a seperate kitchen, but some have them open plan and ground floors have courtyards)

Apparently they all up for alot higher (appox 500-600) but they just not getting rented due to slump in market so owners accepting less at the moment.

Will definately go as soon as prices go down, a few different estate agents have apartments in the building, its on domain.
I went through Ray White and a nice bloke called Robert dealing with it, will post the link to the apartments (3-7 cowell street) if you click on the picture link, there is quite a few pics.
Am sure rob would make you an appointment and show you them (the office is literally a min round the corner to walk)

http://www.domain.com.au/Public/Prop...x?adid=6063021

kelly
Old Feb 17th 2009, 2:00 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

Thanks! will take a look! we could all move in and have block parties!!
Old Feb 17th 2009, 2:15 am
Forum Regular

i know, how cool would that be..British Expats Head Quarters (Sydney Division)..lol

I need a party after all the stress this has been, my partner is work, my parents have taken my daughter to taronga zoo and i am sitting here with lots of beers and about to get a dominios..bliss..

kelly
Old Feb 17th 2009, 2:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Lovely! you must be so relieved. Good luck with the move!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.