Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Not enough points SOL

Not enough points SOL

Old Mar 6th 2003, 7:41 pm
Just Joined

elysia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Not enough points SOL

I'm writing this under my wife's Username. Because I can't work out how to disable the cookie that makes this site think I'm her.

Anyway, we've been doing the points thing for SOL and I just can't seem to come up with enough. does this mean it's the end of the road? Or is there another way?

It seems to be because my job is only worth 40 points. I'm a Project Manager and I'm assuming the low value is because it's not a job that there is a shortage for. Seems quite the opposite here. There are some very well paid jobs about.

I'm going to get qualified as an Electrician to have something to fall back on, but that's not going to get us in. I won't have the work experience.

We've even thought about buying a business, but it seems with the new rules, you need to show experience at running a business.

Has anyone got any ideas
Old Mar 7th 2003, 1:48 am

Debbie Jo has a spectacular aura aboutDebbie Jo has a spectacular aura aboutDebbie Jo has a spectacular aura about

Hi there
My advise to you would be to contact an agent and have an interview and explain your situation and they should be able to tell you your options there and then. They usually charge a fee for the interview (about £35)but you don't have to commit to using thier services. They will be able to tell you how to get maximum points( e.g if your wife as a skill that could be taken into consideration). They may try to get you to sign up with them there and then which can be costly, but just tell them you need time to think about it. Also if you type Australia points test into your search box on the net some companies do free online tests but we found it easier to speak face to face then you can discuss all options

Hope this helped a little

Debbie jo
Old Mar 7th 2003, 8:07 am
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Not enough points SOL

Anyway, we've been doing the points thing for SOL and I just can't seem to come up with enough. does this mean it's the end of the road? Or is there another way?

It would probably be a good idea if you gave us a breakdown of your points as you see it. You never know somebody on the forum may spot something you've missed. Also has your wife any job that you could find on the SOL?
Old Mar 9th 2003, 6:03 pm
Just Joined

elysia is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies. We are going to go to the migration show on the Saturday. Let's just see if we can find a bit more info. My husband is a project manager for BT and looking at that occupation on the SOL list we are only taking this as 40 points. I will let you know what comes of our investigations.
Old Mar 10th 2003, 6:41 pm
Just Joined

chrismcculloch is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by elysia
Thanks for the replies. We are going to go to the migration show on the Saturday. Let's just see if we can find a bit more info. My husband is a project manager for BT and looking at that occupation on the SOL list we are only taking this as 40 points. I will let you know what comes of our investigations.
Hi
where is the migration show you are going to, and how do you find out where these shows are held???
We are trying to get through the mine field of paper work at the mo, but not getting very far.
It would be nice to go to one of these shows and meet like minded people all trying to get out to Oz.

Cheers
Chris
Old Mar 10th 2003, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

HazelG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by chrismcculloch
Hi
where is the migration show you are going to, and how do you find out where these shows are held???
We are trying to get through the mine field of paper work at the mo, but not getting very far.
It would be nice to go to one of these shows and meet like minded people all trying to get out to Oz.

Cheers
Chris

hi
don't know where you are!
the immigration show that's on this weekend is on 'down south' - we're 'up north' so didn't take too much notice of where!!
do a search & you should find details

saw a post earlier on the immi forum about an immigration show in York in May/June - just about to go back to check it out!!
Hazel
Old Mar 10th 2003, 8:08 pm
Just Joined

We are down south Portsmouth area, can you give me a web site to find out where abouts down here the show is on.

Much appreciated

Chris:
Old Mar 10th 2003, 8:12 pm
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by chrismcculloch
We are down south Portsmouth area, can you give me a web site to find out where abouts down here the show is on.

Much appreciated

Chris:
Chris

It's on at Sandown Park in Esher about an hour up the A3. We're in Fareham - Mark works at Fleetlands. Where are you exactly?

Nicola
Old Mar 10th 2003, 8:24 pm
Just Joined

Hi Nicola
Were in Emsworth so the A3 is just up the road. I did e-mail you earlier ref the 20 pages Mark wrote to the agent. If you didn't get it we'd appreciate you sending us them as long as it's not too much trouble.

Dont know if you can e-mail them to the address I gave you as an attachment?

Thanks
Chris
Old Mar 10th 2003, 9:02 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all
Default Re: Not enough points SOL

Originally posted by elysia
I'm writing this under my wife's Username. Because I can't work out how to disable the cookie that makes this site think I'm her.

It seems to be because my job is only worth 40 points. I'm a Project Manager and I'm assuming the low value is because it's not a job that there is a shortage for. Seems quite the opposite here. There are some very well paid jobs about.

I'm going to get qualified as an Electrician to have something to fall back on, but that's not going to get us in. I won't have the work experience.

We've even thought about buying a business, but it seems with the new rules, you need to show experience at running a business.

Has anyone got any ideas
O.K elysia you're a project manager but have you got a trade background ? Even if you have'nt got formal qualifications there may be some way of substantiating creditworthyness as a tradesman via references & testimonials etc. (Assuming you do have a trade background that is).
This way you may up your points score depending exactly on what your recent experience has entailed. (More detail required here really). Sounds like a long shot but anythings worth a try, so good luck.
Old Mar 11th 2003, 7:12 pm
Just Joined

knocker is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello there!

I've worked out how to get on in my own name now. (Elysia is my wife's username). Thank you all for your replies.
I'm a Project Manager (PM) in Telecommunications industry.
The way things work in glorious BT is that they don't want you to be too skilled, because then they have to pay you more. So as a PM they may allow you to get formal PM qualifications. What they don't want is for you to be able to design network or be Cisco accredited. As a PM, I would be expected to build and manage a 'Virtual team' to do all the things like selling, design, commissioning etc. So, where I might know about these things, I couldn't do them well enough in my own right, to make a living at it.
What I do do, in common with PMs in other industries is meet with the client and promise them the world and then get hauled over the coals when anything goes wrong. Everything is always the PMs fault.

What I find hard is that this job is only worth 40 points on SOL. Having contacted someone in HR in Australia, it seems they are awash with Project Managers, whereas in the UK they are quite highly valued. Probably because there's not as many of them.

On the other hand, a cable jointer is 60 points. Last time I did any of that, fibre optics were so new that no method of jointing them had been developed. They had to go in the ground in one piece.

We shall be going to the migration show on Saturday to tolk to people who know how to do things much better than us.