Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Not emigrating - should I return our retirement visa

Not emigrating - should I return our retirement visa

Old Aug 31st 2006, 6:00 pm
Just Joined

cura is a jewel in the roughcura is a jewel in the roughcura is a jewel in the roughcura is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs down Not emigrating - should I return our retirement visa

Having got various advice (most from Montfort!) we got our retirement visas (before the Australian government withdrew this type of visa). As a consequence for our 2 month visit last December we had to take out medical insurance with a company in Australia as we were no longer able to claim reciprocal arrangements with the UK. As a result of this (and experience from previous) visits, we decided not to emigrate (we would miss ready access to European culture - my wife is Austrian (no kangaroos there) and frankly we would soon become bored with Oz - also financially not so attractive for us retirees taking all into consideration).

Having retirement visas does not seem to be an advantage for us now - we would have to take out the Oz insurance. We can spend long times in Oz seeing our son and family (we have a daughter and family in the UK) without the visas. On balance I feel it might be better to surrender the visas and just have normal health insurance cover for the occasional visits.

View please!
Old Aug 31st 2006, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

halcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to all
Default Re: Not emigrating - should I return our retirement visa

Originally Posted by cura
Having got various advice (most from Montfort!) we got our retirement visas (before the Australian government withdrew this type of visa). As a consequence for our 2 month visit last December we had to take out medical insurance with a company in Australia as we were no longer able to claim reciprocal arrangements with the UK. As a result of this (and experience from previous) visits, we decided not to emigrate (we would miss ready access to European culture - my wife is Austrian (no kangaroos there) and frankly we would soon become bored with Oz - also financially not so attractive for us retirees taking all into consideration).

Having retirement visas does not seem to be an advantage for us now - we would have to take out the Oz insurance. We can spend long times in Oz seeing our son and family (we have a daughter and family in the UK) without the visas. On balance I feel it might be better to surrender the visas and just have normal health insurance cover for the occasional visits.

View please!
Hi there.
If it is not going to cause you any grief or expense then keep the visas. As human beings we are up and down like yo-yos and things can change overnight.
Better to have an option than no option.
I am currently in my "happy in the U.K" mood although that changes daily. I will still try to get the visas so I have the option - cheers James.
Old Aug 31st 2006, 8:58 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

View please!

Where in OZ were you based? Can't say Burgess Hill would be that attractive to return to compared with Melbourne.
Old Sep 1st 2006, 9:20 am
Just Joined

cura is a jewel in the roughcura is a jewel in the roughcura is a jewel in the roughcura is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: Not emigrating - should I return our retirement visa

Originally Posted by thebears
Where in OZ were you based? Can't say Burgess Hill would be that attractive to return to compared with Melbourne.
A somewhat flippant comparison. Our son is based in Sydney, but we have spent time in Perth travelled on the Indian Pacific, visited Hunter Valley - and have been over to Oz each year for 5 years. You can't just compare one town with another - there are many far broader factors to take into consideration - cultural, historical, travel times etc.

Don't misundersand me - Oz is a great place for a holiday as far as we are concerned, but its just not right as our retirement location. We've so much to see and do elsewhere and its easier from over here (and at least its 'better the devil you know').

Those 'spinning' the advantages of emigrating to Oz (and elsewhere) have (financial) vested interests in getting you to go and its easy to get carried away. Prices, taxes, insurance costs comparisons with the UK are often overplayed. (Why do I find so many Australians and New Zealanders over here - often permanently for the reasons I've given).

I'm sure all you ex-Pats (or most of you) have made the right choices - and good luck to you.
Old Sep 1st 2006, 9:46 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

A somewhat flippant comparison. Our son is based in Sydney, but we have spent time in Perth travelled on the Indian Pacific, visited Hunter Valley - and have been over to Oz each year for 5 years. You can't just compare one town with another - there are many far broader factors to take into consideration - cultural, historical, travel times etc.

Don't misundersand me - Oz is a great place for a holiday as far as we are concerned, but its just not right as our retirement location. We've so much to see and do elsewhere and its easier from over here (and at least its 'better the devil you know').

Those 'spinning' the advantages of emigrating to Oz (and elsewhere) have (financial) vested interests in getting you to go and its easy to get carried away. Prices, taxes, insurance costs comparisons with the UK are often overplayed. (Why do I find so many Australians and New Zealanders over here - often permanently for the reasons I've given).

I'm sure all you ex-Pats (or most of you) have made the right choices - and good luck to you.
Hi Again

I know what you mean, my parents just spent 10 years travelling Europe and based themselves in UK and France while over there.

We in turn have a place in Southern Italy for our retirement - but until then Melbourne gives all the european hits we need. Now we are enjoying trips to places like Japan/Asia and of course so much to see in Australia itself.
Old Sep 1st 2006, 9:59 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure the financial position is worse than in the UK? As a 410 (temporary) visaholder you may be able to make use of the new tax provisions in Australia effective from 1 July 2006 whereby investment income and capital gains arising outside Australia are not taxed in Australia if you are a "temporary tax resident" (as defined).

I'm happy to be corrected, but from 1 July 2006 I'm not sure many 410 visaholders would lose financially living in Australia as compared with the UK.

Best regards.

View please!