Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Not another which City is nest ;-)

Not another which City is nest ;-)

Old Sep 29th 2009, 5:14 am
BE Enthusiast

markbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura about
Default Not another which City is best ;-)

So I am interested to know which city out of Melbourne and Sydney has the best of the following? By the way these are only things that I am interested in (not in any paticular order)

Beaches
Crime
Cost of living
Pubs
Clubs
Scenery
Places to Visit
Things to do
Shopping
Weather (warm and dry please)
Ease/ cost of travel to other australian cities
Ease/ cost of travel to international cities
Most brit expats in the city
Ease of integration for a brit

Last edited by markbhx; Sep 29th 2009 at 5:23 am.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 5:20 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not another which City is nest ;-)

Here's a good one:

Old Sep 29th 2009, 5:38 am
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

Each person views things differently.

Here is MY opinion on it.

Beaches - Sydney
Crime – Both as good and as bad as each other
Cost of living – Both pretty much the same
Pubs – Sydney (Melbourne more “Cafe”)
Clubs – Sydney, Personally I love the clubs in Sydney and you have them concentrated for different types of clubs in several areas, George Street, CBD, Darling Harbour, The Rocks, Darlinghurst, Oxford Street, Newtown etc.
Scenery – Sydney, I Think the City with the Harbour, the Beaches and the Blue mountains make it really nice, the suburbs are more hilly, it’s also greener, Melbourne I find is more just flat.
Places to Visit - Sydney
Things to do - Sydney
Shopping – Same, People argue for both, but really every Australian city is the same for shopping, exact same stores in every city.
Weather (warm and dry please) - Sydney, from my experience Sydney get's better weather, both get mild winters with rain, I find Melbourne closer to the UK weather than Sydney is.
Ease/ cost of travel to other australian cities – Both pretty much the same
Ease/ cost of travel to international cities – Both pretty much the same
Most brit expats in the city – Not sure.. I think that’s really Perth?
Ease of integration for a brit – Same, both friendly and welcoming.

Again, this is MY personal opinion before anyone jumps on me. I’ve lived in Sydney for several years and Melbourne for a few months. (Canberra now though, lol)

Each person is different.

Last edited by canadaeh; Sep 29th 2009 at 5:41 am.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 6:17 am
BE Enthusiast

iolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud of

. . . we all want to nest somewhere . . .
Old Sep 29th 2009, 6:27 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Beaches - Sydney
Crime - Either
Cost of living - Melbourne
Pubs - Melbourne
Clubs - Either
Scenery - In the city, Sydney
Places to Visit - Either
Things to do - Either
Shopping - Melbourne
Weather (warm and dry please) - Sydney is warmer, Melbourne is considerably drier
Ease/ cost of travel to other australian cities - Either
Ease/ cost of travel to international cities - Either
Most brit expats in the city - Not a noticeable feature in either
Ease of integration for a brit - No problems in either
Old Sep 29th 2009, 7:16 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
That's not a nest city, this is:

S
Attached Thumbnails Not another which City is nest ;-)-nests.jpeg  
Old Sep 29th 2009, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all

Both are big cities and can offer everything you are wanting although I would say Beaches for Sydney, Pubs and Clubs, Shopping ,Cost of Living....for Melbourne.
Weather wise Sydney gets milder winters, Melbourne gets more hotter days over 30 in a year and less rain
Old Sep 29th 2009, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not another which City is best ;-)

Beaches - Sydney
Crime - Either
Cost of living - Melbourne slightly cheaper
Pubs - Melbourne
Clubs - Melbourne
Scenery - Either
Places to Visit - Melbourne
Things to do - Melbourne
Shopping - Melbourne
Weather (warm and dry please) - Melbourne (Sydney too wet and humid)
Ease/ cost of travel to other australian cities - Either
Ease/ cost of travel to international cities - Either
Most brit expats in the city - They are best avoided really
Ease of integration for a brit - Either
Old Sep 29th 2009, 3:55 pm
can't lose the tie

mecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to allmecheng is a name known to all
Default Re: Not another which City is best ;-)

Beaches - Sydney no doubt.
Crime - Melbourne is supposedly safer.
Cost of living - Melbourne is cheaper.
Pubs - Melbourne.
Clubs - Sydney.
Scenery - Sydney.
Places to Visit - either.
Things to do - either.
Shopping - either.
Weather (warm and dry please) - Sydney.
Ease/ cost of travel to other australian cities - either.
Ease/ cost of travel to international cities - Sydney just in front.
Most brit expats in the city - Perth.