Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Not all England is bad

Not all England is bad

Old May 17th 2004, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

trehere is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the amazing photos, they have actually made me homesick. One day we will go back and I'll be moaning about the cold but being away from it does make you appreciate it. I can't get over how green everything looks!
You all have such lovely houses, I don't know how you managed to leave them!
Old May 17th 2004, 11:07 am
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute
Default And that's not all...

Nice view Grayling.

You even managed to get a UFO into your pic - directly above houses in the distance.
Old May 17th 2004, 11:38 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Grayling & Jill, absolutely fabulous pics, its times when I see pics like those that it makes me impatient to move back there sooner (even though we have no plans to go back for the foreseeable future).
Isn't it interesting how people are so different, I looked at those last pictures, old houses in the cold snow, and thought; how lucky i am to be here

Old May 17th 2004, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
Isn't it interesting how people are so different, I looked at those last pictures, old houses in the cold snow, and thought; how lucky i am to be here

Me too, I HATE snow always have and always will. It looks pretty but that is about it for me.
Old May 17th 2004, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Also beautiful houses though - you wont get anything as sturdy and strong as those out here. They are all 1 layer of brick and plaster board In Qld!!
Old May 17th 2004, 12:17 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

LOL, yes it is funny, but then you know I love old houses . And I know that one day, I will probably have to move to the UK, the thought doesnt depress me .

Remember your own words of advice "we should like both countries" .

As for the cold snow, its cold enough in my house this morning to make that pic of those lovely houses with central heating & fabulous insulation look bloody attractive :scared:
Old May 17th 2004, 12:24 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
LOL, yes it is funny, but then you know I love old houses . And I know that one day, I will probably have to move to the UK, the thought doesnt depress me .

Remember your own words of advice "we should like both countries" .

As for the cold snow, its cold enough in my house this morning to make that pic of those lovely houses with central heating & fabulous insulation look bloody attractive :scared:
LOL I like new modern houses, like mine
I had enough of the old ones when I was growing up

Yeah, it is a bit nippy this morning. My feet are a bit cold, i'm thinking about putting a pair of socks on. Or maybe I should just go outside where it is nice and warm !!

Old May 17th 2004, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

trehere is on a distinguished road

You are so right!
With the temp in Melbourne dropping to 2 degrees some nights I am longing for our nice sturdy house in Essex with the log fire and gas central heating. Instead we have one air-conditioning unit which we set to heat and shiver until it works! However, as you say, we have to see the benefits of both lifes and at the mo I am still happy with life in Oz even though I'm homesick sometimes!
Old May 17th 2004, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

So did I! They're lovely to look at but I wouldn't want to live with that snow and cold.

Actually, not all houses in Australia are new. Our house is 77 years old and built of double brick. It has acres of cedar panelling, extremely fancy ceilings and dinky little built-in cupboards (circa 1927). Nothing flimsy about it at all!
Old May 17th 2004, 2:27 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Oh my god, these houses are beautiful, and you want to come and live in a house here?????????????!!!!!!!!!! But hey, we all know we all like different things!!!!

Wonder which house will still be standing in 100 years time, mine or yours?????????
Attached Thumbnails Not all England is bad-31-daintree-loop.jpg  
Old May 17th 2004, 2:30 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

View from our house (but I'd rather have your view Grayling)
Attached Thumbnails Not all England is bad-view-front.jpg  
Old May 17th 2004, 2:52 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by nickyc
So did I! They're lovely to look at but I wouldn't want to live with that snow and cold.

Actually, not all houses in Australia are new. Our house is 77 years old and built of double brick. It has acres of cedar panelling, extremely fancy ceilings and dinky little built-in cupboards (circa 1927). Nothing flimsy about it at all!
Same here nicky, ours is a qlder/colonial style, main part was built around 1910, been added to but still standing & will still be standing for a long time yet .

Dunno what all you people who live in brick houses are complaining about , try living in a wooden one, then you'll realise how cold it can get :scared: .
Old May 17th 2004, 2:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Grayling and bananas, Very beautiful homes, doesnt owning something like that make it very hard to leave tho! Well it would for me anyway
Old May 17th 2004, 3:18 pm
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jad n rich
Grayling and bananas, Very beautiful homes, doesnt owning something like that make it very hard to leave tho! Well it would for me anyway

Just lovely aren't they....I have to say I love the snow and my Aussie mate is living in Uk at mo and her kids saw snow this year for the first time ..they are 9,5,4,...they were soooooooo excited bless. For me I can't wait to see all that gorgeous green countryside, the dew in the morning, the beauty of England..arhhhwwwwwwwww......
Old May 17th 2004, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

daveuk1965 is an unknown quantity at this point

Friend lives here, I live in much the same part of the world.

Yes, there are some truly gold medal winning grotty bits in the UK, and there are some stunningly gorgeous areas, too. No one makes anyone live in the horrible bits - and if they`re too bone idle to spend an extra 20 minutes in the morning commuting to work........

That`s the point. The UK is so compact that the opportunities exist to move to nicer areas with ease. Far too much complaining here.
Attached Thumbnails Not all England is bad-village.jpg  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.