Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Northridge builders or Porter Davis

Northridge builders or Porter Davis

Old Oct 25th 2005, 5:43 am
Forum Regular

playbunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really nice
Default Northridge builders or Porter Davis

Hello

We have bought a block of land and found two builders we like and that are in our price range.I don't of anyone who has used either of them so would be really grateful of any comments good/bad before we make a final desision.

Thanks in advance
Old Oct 25th 2005, 5:50 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Northridge builders or Porter Davis

Originally Posted by playbunny75
Hello

We have bought a block of land and found two builders we like and that are in our price range.I don't of anyone who has used either of them so would be really grateful of any comments good/bad before we make a final desision.

Thanks in advance
We were in the same podition between the Capri by porter davis and one of a similar size from Northridge, the name escapes me but it had an alfresco area and bowls for basins.

Wewent with the porter davis as I think once you counted the extras it was cheaper.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 6:07 am
Forum Regular

playbunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really niceplaybunny75 is just really nice

Originally Posted by fraser
We were in the same podition between the Capri by porter davis and one of a similar size from Northridge, the name escapes me but it had an alfresco area and bowls for basins.

Wewent with the porter davis as I think once you counted the extras it was cheaper.
Hi Fraser

We loved the capri but it did not fit as well on are block as the Barkley 27 so it would be that one form porter Davis or the Winslow with Northridge which is cheaper but we would have to add extra $17,000 for Alfresco and rumpus.I loved all the extras with the Northridge the sinks,bath,cooker etc.We have payed $600 deposit to Porter Davis and now im having second thoughts! I ahve just spoke to someone who built with Porter Davis for there first house and are building have again with Northridge and are much happier with the overall finish so this got be wondering if we have made a mistake!

When will your house be finished? and how is it all going?

Best of luck with you build im a born worrier anyway so I will be stressing for a while yet whatever we do.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 6:11 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Fraser

We loved the capri but it did not fit as well on are block as the Barkley 27 so it would be that one form porter Davis or the Winslow with Northridge which is cheaper but we would have to add extra $17,000 for Alfresco and rumpus.I loved all the extras with the Northridge the sinks,bath,cooker etc.We have payed $600 deposit to Porter Davis and now im having second thoughts! I ahve just spoke to someone who built with Porter Davis for there first house and are building have again with Northridge and are much happier with the overall finish so this got be wondering if we have made a mistake!

When will your house be finished? and how is it all going?

Best of luck with you build im a born worrier anyway so I will be stressing for a while yet whatever we do.

Ours hasn't started yet we're at the same stage as you soil testing.

We liked the Monteden best but it was an awkward shape so we've go with the Capri 29 which wont give us any garden at the ide but 10 metres at the back.

We're building in point Cook how about you?
Old Oct 25th 2005, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

Ours hasn't started yet we're at the same stage as you soil testing.

We liked the Monteden best but it was an awkward shape so we've go with the Capri 29 which wont give us any garden at the ide but 10 metres at the back.

We're building in point Cook how about you?
We are building in Mount Martha not in an estate it is an already estalished area where you get the block avaliable now and then.If you have 10 metres of back garden that is great so do you think you will go with Porter Davis if soil test comes back ok? do you have any doubts?
Old Oct 25th 2005, 6:34 am

We are building in Mount Martha not in an estate it is an already estalished area where you get the block avaliable now and then.If you have 10 metres of back garden that is great so do you think you will go with Porter Davis if soil test comes back ok? do you have any doubts?
Yes definitely, if we don't like the house or the area (we love where you are) we can always sell and start again
Old Oct 25th 2005, 6:38 am

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

I've just signed up for Porter Davis too, saw one I liked at metricon which was very similar to what I've finally gone with but was $10k + more on the base price and way more expensive to get to the spec I wanted.

I've spoken to loads of people, one of my work colleagues had one built by PD last year and had no problems and is very happy with the end result, two others know someone who has used them, same end result and my Aussie Home Loans guy said his cousin had one by PD and again no problems and very happy, he added they have a good reputation for quality.

As they say the proof of the pudding is in the eating so will wait and see, and as with anything I'm sure if you canvassed 100 people who had new homes built a proportion of those would regale you with horror stories whilst the rest would say 'no worries'.

For those building a few bits of info I did find out that I hadn't even considered, maybe you know, maybe you don't;

On the PD Houses the internal walls between house and garage are plasterboard as standard, maybe just being daft but I prefer the garage to be a brick structure (somewhere to hang me tools n gadgets etc) so have asked to get it changed which my mate did no probs at all.

For the TV, they wire up the tv points but it is your responsibility to get an aerial fitted and connected.

For the Telephone, again they wire all the sockets in the house to a junction box at front of house, there should be a Telstra line to the edge of the block in most developed areas, you are then responsible for organising the connection of the two. Telstra will require a trench approx a shovels width and depth which you can either dig yourself or get dug by them so they can lay a pipe and cable. For a pre dug trench it's just over $200 for the connection, knowing Hellstra I dread to think how much they would charge for digging the trench as well.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 6:41 am
Forum Regular

Yes definitely, if we don't like the house or the area (we love where you are) we can always sell and start again
Good point! My husband is very layed back about it all and im sure it will all be just fine.It is just we have never done a new build before or had any money to invest in something like this before but it will be exciting once we get started are you going for many extras we want a fair few or rather I do granite worktops and spa bath are a must
Old Oct 25th 2005, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Flying Banana
I've just signed up for Porter Davis too, saw one I liked at metricon which was very similar to what I've finally gone with but was $10k + more on the base price and way more expensive to get to the spec I wanted.

I've spoken to loads of people, one of my work colleagues had one built by PD last year and had no problems and is very happy with the end result, two others know someone who has used them, same end result and my Aussie Home Loans guy said his cousin had one by PD and again no problems and very happy, he added they have a good reputation for quality.

As they say the proof of the pudding is in the eating so will wait and see, and as with anything I'm sure if you canvassed 100 people who had new homes built a proportion of those would regale you with horror stories whilst the rest would say 'no worries'.

For those building a few bits of info I did find out that I hadn't even considered, maybe you know, maybe you don't;

On the PD Houses the internal walls between house and garage are plasterboard as standard, maybe just being daft but I prefer the garage to be a brick structure (somewhere to hang me tools n gadgets etc) so have asked to get it changed which my mate did no probs at all.

For the TV, they wire up the tv points but it is your responsibility to get an aerial fitted and connected.

For the Telephone, again they wire all the sockets in the house to a junction box at front of house, there should be a Telstra line to the edge of the block in most developed areas, you are then responsible for organising the connection of the two. Telstra will require a trench approx a shovels width and depth which you can either dig yourself or get dug by them so they can lay a pipe and cable. For a pre dug trench it's just over $200 for the connection, knowing Hellstra I dread to think how much they would charge for digging the trench as well.

Hello

Thanks for those points as I did not know that and the gargage in particular is worth remebering.Which house have you choosen? When will it be ready?
Old Oct 25th 2005, 9:09 am

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello

Thanks for those points as I did not know that and the garage in particular is worth remembering.Which house have you choosen? When will it be ready?
Gone for the Dakota 27 but there was an offer on to stretch the house by 2 squares to 29, they don't just bung an extra couple of metres on one room but stretch the whole house by 60cm in four places to keep the nice layout. Means it will leave a bit less room on the 650m2 block I've bought but after speaking to a few people it should add more value in the future than taking the other 'free' options like extra luxury fittings. More than big enough for me and two cats though lol

Main thing is the location for me, my trip to work will be cut from 45 mins to 15 (which makes a big difference on shift work when you start at 4AM). Will be signing the contract to buy the land this week, PD have given me a Feb building start date and should be ready end June.

A couple of other things that were recommended to me were that for the expensive add ons shop around for quotes and get your own contractor to do the jobs as you'll save a lot of money, stuff like evap cooling (Ask PD to make a water supply and power supply in the right place for it to go in later - no charge I think), downlights for instance, PD will charge you per piece, around $35, you can find a good electrician for around $100-150 for a days work and get your own downlights for about $10 a piece if you go to a wholesaler. Same with getting the driveway concreted and alfresco, outside paths etc, will cost you a lot less to go to an outside contractor.

My mate at work who built with PD said they are happy during build for you to get someone in, all you need to do is liase with the building supervisor and they will give you a time that it is OK for your 'man who can' to come in.

If you want more info on Telstra and getting connected to a new block, info is here: http://www.telstra.com.au/movinghome/newhome.htm
Old Oct 25th 2005, 9:23 am

Where are you building FB?
We were offered the 2m sq offer but declined it and were given a $3500 rebate.

Playbunny,we'd love the granite etc but we've already stretched our budget.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

Where are you building FB?
We were offered the 2m sq offer but declined it and were given a $3500 rebate.

Playbunny,we'd love the granite etc but we've already stretched our budget.
We are too so not sure if I will really get all the extra's but can dream.It will come down to when we do the final costings is there anything you recommened spending extra on or are you just going for what is included?
Old Oct 25th 2005, 9:41 am

We are too so not sure if I will really get all the extra's but can dream.It will come down to when we do the final costings is there anything you recommened spending extra on or are you just going for what is included?

Exhaust fans in the bathroom aren't included and they're a must.
Fly screens, more power points as only one double in each room.
Changing the plasyic basins to china ones at $25 each a must at that price.
Lights to the back.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 11:08 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

Thanks in advance
Does anyone have a website for Northridge?

Can't find them on Google.

Thanks

Buzzy
Old Oct 25th 2005, 11:25 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Exhaust fans in the bathroom aren't included and they're a must.
Fly screens, more power points as only one double in each room.
Changing the plasyic basins to china ones at $25 each a must at that price.
Lights to the back.
We paid extra to get the Bathroom tiled ceiling to floor rather than half.
Also if you have ducted heating check your drawings to make sure the have heating in the bathroom.
Make sure heating unit is not positioned right outside bedroom window as it was originally in ours.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.