Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

northern sydney renting...

northern sydney renting...

Old May 26th 2004, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

DougsYute is an unknown quantity at this point
Default northern sydney renting...

does anyone have any recent experience of renting a small detached 1/2bed house in northern suburbs of sydney. maybe the northern beaches type area (as i'll be working in belrose)?? I am thinking once i arrive i can find somewhere pretty quickly for 300 a week....does this seem reasonable?
Old May 26th 2004, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: northern sydney renting...

Originally posted by DougsYute
does anyone have any recent experience of renting a small detached 1/2bed house in northern suburbs of sydney. maybe the northern beaches type area (as i'll be working in belrose)?? I am thinking once i arrive i can find somewhere pretty quickly for 300 a week....does this seem reasonable?
Wait a few months and you can probably buy a property for that price...just kidding

I'm ex-northern beaches from 2 months ago. Most houses have at least 3 bedrooms. $A300 is low for a house, but OK for a flat/unit.

$A300 will get you into a 2 bedroomed flat (do you really mean house?) in places like Manly Vale (not bad, but not great), Fairlight (better) and Warringah (like Manly Vale, but closer to Belrose).

As you head further out to places like Belrose and Frenchs Forest, you won't tend to find many 1/2 bed units - the houses are bigger - 3/4 beds - with higher rents, ie ~$A400+

Look at: Domain
Old May 26th 2004, 2:34 pm
Just Joined

cheers for the domain link. the shared accomodation looks interesting as well.

did you have any experience of people living further afield and commuting in to find somewhere affordable to live. i really would like to get something detatched and assume the further out of sydney the cheaper it gets.

upper limit for me would be $A400.
Old May 26th 2004, 3:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

cheers for the domain link. the shared accomodation looks interesting as well.

did you have any experience of people living further afield and commuting in to find somewhere affordable to live. i really would like to get something detatched and assume the further out of sydney the cheaper it gets.

upper limit for me would be $A400.
In most cases, the further from the city - the cheaper it is. But there are exceptions - eg carry on up the northern beaches and you get to Palm Beach (where "Home and Away" is filmed) and it's very expensive.

I knew some people that lived further out, but what about transport? I don't know how you intend to commute, but as Belrose is a way out, a car would definitely be a plus.

$A400 is a bit low to rent a house. A place you could look at is Warriewood - a nice area and it's close to the beach. There's a house advertised in the 'Domain' - a 3 bedroom+2 bathroom, with pool and tennis court in complex available for $A415/wk.

And given the way that house prices are going, soon it shouldn't be too difficult to find a house rental that is within your $400 budget. Most of Oz has become a buyer's market.

Last edited by MikeStanton; May 26th 2004 at 3:46 pm.
Old May 26th 2004, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

probably get myself a motorbike. (sold mine yesterday. still gutted) so getting around should not be a problem. i'll check out the area you suggest cheers.

sounds like the only way for me to do it is turn up, have a look around the belrose/northern area and then go for it. as long as i can get somewhere, which from what you say sounds like i can, then i will be ok.

so have you lived there and left, or are you in for the long haul? if so, is the nothern side of sydney decent enough?
Old May 26th 2004, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

probably get myself a motorbike. (sold mine yesterday. still gutted) so getting around should not be a problem. i'll check out the area you suggest cheers.

sounds like the only way for me to do it is turn up, have a look around the belrose/northern area and then go for it. as long as i can get somewhere, which from what you say sounds like i can, then i will be ok.

so have you lived there and left, or are you in for the long haul? if so, is the nothern side of sydney decent enough?
We've spent enough time in Oz and decided to come back to UK.

North side of Sydney is good for families. It also has some good beaches, cafes and restaurants. But, if you're looking for more excitement, places like inner city or Eastern suburbs - eg Bondi - offer more action.

If you really want a lot of action, try the western suburbs at night - but you may not make it home alive!