Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Northern Beaches V's Shire

Northern Beaches V's Shire

Old Nov 30th 2009, 12:01 am
Just Joined

bbqbill has a brilliant futurebbqbill has a brilliant futurebbqbill has a brilliant futurebbqbill has a brilliant futurebbqbill has a brilliant futurebbqbill has a brilliant futurebbqbill has a brilliant future
Default Northern Beaches V's Shire

My wife daughter and I moved to Sydney in Jan. Our decision was to move to Cronulla as it ticked the boxes of commute to the city and beach. Only thing is we didnt make friends in Cronulla in the 6 months we were there! We had posted on here and other sites but only people much older then us (we are early 30's) replied. Our next move was for better housing near our new jobs and we moved slightly west to the Oatley area, same problem with friends.

Its not easy making friends with locals. My theory is that most people have all the friends they need by 30 and after that its hard, especially for a bloke. So poms are our best bet.

We have always had a grass is greener perception of the northern beaches and how easy it might be to meet people up there. We are now having another baby (all being well) and our lease is up in jan.

I would consider the commute of say Balgowlah to Padstow (1hour according to google maps) for work if we could make good friends but is the grass greener?

Have people in the north shore, northern beaches found it easy to make friends?

Dose anyone do a commute from the north to the west?

Dose anyone have any similar experience/advise?

We really dont want to keep moving around especially with a new baby.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 2:34 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Northern Beaches V's Shire

We ancients can be quite good company you know

congratulations on your expected arrival I hope you find somewhere that suits you better
Old Nov 30th 2009, 2:39 am
Just Joined

bbqbill has a brilliant futurebbqbill has a brilliant futurebbqbill has a brilliant futurebbqbill has a brilliant futurebbqbill has a brilliant futurebbqbill has a brilliant futurebbqbill has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by asher
We ancients can be quite good company you know

congratulations on your expected arrival I hope you find somewhere that suits you better
We cant keep up, thats what it is! seriously though did you find it hard?
Old Nov 30th 2009, 2:57 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bbqbill
We cant keep up, thats what it is! seriously though did you find it hard?
no I found it easy but have posted a thread n the barbie
Old Nov 30th 2009, 4:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry you didn't find the Shire to your liking. Having travelled from Gymea to Revesby for 18 months...its a nice easy drive and we are not such old gits!
Old Dec 1st 2009, 1:22 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bbqbill
My wife daughter and I moved to Sydney in Jan. Our decision was to move to Cronulla as it ticked the boxes of commute to the city and beach. Only thing is we didnt make friends in Cronulla in the 6 months we were there! We had posted on here and other sites but only people much older then us (we are early 30's) replied. Our next move was for better housing near our new jobs and we moved slightly west to the Oatley area, same problem with friends.

Its not easy making friends with locals. My theory is that most people have all the friends they need by 30 and after that its hard, especially for a bloke. So poms are our best bet.

We have always had a grass is greener perception of the northern beaches and how easy it might be to meet people up there. We are now having another baby (all being well) and our lease is up in jan.

I would consider the commute of say Balgowlah to Padstow (1hour according to google maps) for work if we could make good friends but is the grass greener?

Have people in the north shore, northern beaches found it easy to make friends?

Dose anyone do a commute from the north to the west?

Dose anyone have any similar experience/advise?

We really dont want to keep moving around especially with a new baby.

The Northern Beaches is great for all community things and very family centric, we have made a small circle of friends, mostly via Kindergarten, but our problem is we live in an apartment in a transient town, Manly. I have no doubt that when we move to a house, April next year, that we will widen our circle of friends.
As for the journey to Padstow, I'm assuming, dependant on where in the Northern Beaches you live (its a big place with varying transport options), that you get to Circular Quays or Wynyard then onwards to Padstow if by public transport. If by car it can be a bit chocker till you get past Kings X on the Eastern Distributor which by then you would mostly be going against the heavy flow.
Those who live in the Shire love it, as do those who live on the Northern Beaches, they are similar in ethnic demographic respects (don't go all PC on me guys, just a fact!!) but I think the Shire is cheaper for housing.
I spent ages, as I suspect most of everyone else who comes here does, browsing Domain.com, Go Matilda and all the other ex pat and housing sites. I chose Northern Beaches simply as it was more of what I expected of 'Australia', all beaches, sand, sun and surfing (as does Cronulla but not to the same scale) and am glad I did. I rent, probably can't afford to buy at the moment, and there are varying options for all families.
The one thing which seperates them both from each other will be your commute to work, so, suss that out and research it (try a dummy run on a day off (if you have one!!!) and guage it by that).
Old Dec 1st 2009, 9:59 am
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Gday there.
Congrats on your news

We lived in Illawong (down south) last year, some ppl friendly- sort of more nosey so not come round for a drink etc.
Ppl seemed chattier up north though even got invited to a barbie.

We'll be heading back out there early next year and heading for the northern suburbs, so PM me if you want to keep in touch, despite what this lot would tell you we are normal - well sort of.
Have 4 kids, 3 boys and a baby girl so if you're feeling brave and don't mind 6 pommie new friends (sorry we're not Aussie:$) then get in touch.

It does help to have friends to help you settle, i'm sure you're doing fine though and it will come.

Come on people invite this lot round for a barbie will ya