Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Northern Beaches Sydney

Northern Beaches Sydney

Old Mar 20th 2005, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

Cuddles is on a distinguished road
Default Northern Beaches Sydney

Hi, is there anybody out there who can help me please. We are leaving for Oz in September 2005 but things keep changing. We were originally going to Adelaide but my husbands company are now trying to set him up out there as they are a Global company and would love to break into Oz. The only problem now is that most of the work seems to be in the NSW area so we need to live there. We have been recommended the Northern beaches as its away from the heart of Sydney so therefore obviously cheaper. And the obvious fact that is fantastic up there.

Is there anybody going to the same area or alreay in this area that could give me any advice or information on schools etc at I have 4 children 3 or which are at school here. Is there also a website like the Adelaidebrits as I found this sooo helpful and felt I had someone to talk to out there. I know feel quite lonely again (sad really).

Hope someone can help pleeeeeeze

Linda and Dave
Old Mar 20th 2005, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really nice
Default Re: Northern Beaches Sydney

Originally Posted by dave and linda
Hi, is there anybody out there who can help me please. We are leaving for Oz in September 2005 but things keep changing. We were originally going to Adelaide but my husbands company are now trying to set him up out there as they are a Global company and would love to break into Oz. The only problem now is that most of the work seems to be in the NSW area so we need to live there. We have been recommended the Northern beaches as its away from the heart of Sydney so therefore obviously cheaper. And the obvious fact that is fantastic up there.

Is there anybody going to the same area or alreay in this area that could give me any advice or information on schools etc at I have 4 children 3 or which are at school here. Is there also a website like the Adelaidebrits as I found this sooo helpful and felt I had someone to talk to out there. I know feel quite lonely again (sad really).

Linda and Dave

Hi Linda,

We are going out to Sydney, around same time as you. Like you we started planning to go to Adelaide, however I now have a job offer in Sydney so Sydney here we come. Cant help you in terms of schools etc as we haven't been. I have 5 kids 4 of which are school age 1 who has left and may not be coming with us. (boo hoo!!)

No need to feel lonely there are a few on here going or already in Sydney

Feel free to pm if you need a chat
Chris
Old Mar 20th 2005, 12:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Northern beaches are really nice, if you watch Home & Away it is filmed at Palm Beach (the northern most beach)
Bit of a hike into Sydney though

Kevin
Old Mar 20th 2005, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
Northern beaches are really nice, if you watch Home & Away it is filmed at Palm Beach (the northern most beach)
Bit of a hike into Sydney though

Kevin
Bonus I love Home and Away. Do you know how long it takes to get to Westmead. My son has club foot and apparently its would be Westmead we would be refered to. Our consultant worked there for a while so knows the Doctors there. We travel and hour over here anyway and its only every 4-6 months we need to go.

Linda
Old Mar 20th 2005, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry can't help with that one, I went to Palm Beach when I was in OZ on holiday a few years back, I think the bus took about an hour or so to get there from central Sydney.
I was a bit annoyed because they weren't filming the day I went!! (am I sad or what??)

Kevin
Old Mar 20th 2005, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
Sorry can't help with that one, I went to Palm Beach when I was in OZ on holiday a few years back, I think the bus took about an hour or so to get there from central Sydney.
I was a bit annoyed because they weren't filming the day I went!! (am I sad or what??)

Kevin
Yep just as sad as me lol. We didnt get the chance to travel cause we were only in Sydney a couple of days as our plans where to live in Adelaide. Oh well best laid plans and all that.

Linda
Old Mar 20th 2005, 3:02 pm
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

I know feel quite lonely again (sad really).

Linda and Dave
Can't really help but just wanted to say don't be lonely! We (me, hubby and three daughters 6,5 and 3) will be heading out to Sydney as soon as the house sells. We will definitely settle north of Sydney, maybe up to an hour away.

So, be reassured - you've got quite a little circle of friends already and none of us are there yet! LOL

Binbird
Old Mar 20th 2005, 3:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really nice

Originally Posted by binbird
Can't really help but just wanted to say don't be lonely! We (me, hubby and three daughters 6,5 and 3) will be heading out to Sydney as soon as the house sells. We will definitely settle north of Sydney, maybe up to an hour away.

So, be reassured - you've got quite a little circle of friends already and none of us are there yet! LOL

Binbird

Hi,
couldn't agree more and you've got 3 kids too!!

me 5 Linda 4 we'll be able to repopulate our own suburb!!!! lol

Chris
Old Mar 20th 2005, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the replies everyone. Its great to here from you. Would be good to keep in touch if thats ok. You will have to pm me when you are going binbird. I also have a daughter of nearly 5.

Linda
Old Mar 21st 2005, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

popeye will become famous soon enoughpopeye will become famous soon enough

hi we should be heading out to oz by the end of the year aswell
my brother lives in harbord which is on the northern beaches,i have been there a couple of times and like the area so we are looking to move to the same area. as for schools from what we can make out from a bit of research is that narrabeen has the best schools, so looking at that area aswell. not heard any bad words about it

cheers

pops
Old Mar 21st 2005, 9:42 am
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

Bonus I love Home and Away. Do you know how long it takes to get to Westmead. My son has club foot and apparently its would be Westmead we would be refered to. Our consultant worked there for a while so knows the Doctors there. We travel and hour over here anyway and its only every 4-6 months we need to go.

Linda

We are looking at moving to Sydney in the next few months (now we have finally sold the house!!) and I have been using this link to work out how far everything is via public transport. It gives a useful idea when planning where you want to be...

http://www.131500.info/newJourney.asp

I presume that if you drive instead it will be quicker....

Hope that helps

Steve
Old Mar 21st 2005, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

Nancy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi my sister lives in Northern Beaches, in Newport. Really lovely place, her kids go to a good school not sure on the name but they are 5. It is really hilly where they are though, which isn't a problem but you can't just walk to the local shops as they are practically at the top of what is a small mountain!! For me personally it was a bit too far out and a treck into Sydney. They love it there though and both commute into work in the city each day.

Lovely beaches and places for Breakfast nearby such as Avalon Beach, and yes Home and Away beach.

We were looking there but now set on Adelaide.
Old Mar 21st 2005, 3:42 pm
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Nancy
Hi my sister lives in Northern Beaches, in Newport. Really lovely place, her kids go to a good school not sure on the name but they are 5. It is really hilly where they are though, which isn't a problem but you can't just walk to the local shops as they are practically at the top of what is a small mountain!! For me personally it was a bit too far out and a treck into Sydney. They love it there though and both commute into work in the city each day.

Lovely beaches and places for Breakfast nearby such as Avalon Beach, and yes Home and Away beach.

Hi

Surprised no one has offered up how expensive the properties are all along the Northern beaches strip. Superb area though if its within your price range.

Agree that it is a long run at the wrong time of day to drive down to the CBD, especially the Pittwater Road end. Maybe an express bus would be the best solution? Or, if you are really close to Manly, a jetcat/ferry ride would do the trick.

Regards

Jim
Old Mar 21st 2005, 5:46 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by Nancy

Lovely spot but yes the commute is a killer to anywhere. My sister in law lived at Bilgola Plateau now Clareville.

M

Old Mar 21st 2005, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are going to be working in Sydney and are looking for a sub 1 hour commute, I would be looking for somewhere that is close to a train station on the North Shore line. http://www.cityrail.com.au/networkmaps/network_map.pdf

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.