Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Northern Beaches

Northern Beaches

Old Oct 1st 2010, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

AndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really nice
Default Northern Beaches

Will be working in Chatswood from January 2011 and ideally want to rent in Northern Beaches. Looking for easy bus access into Chatswood. Want a house, garden with good bus route.

Any advice on areas appreciated?

A and M
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

Hotton has a spectacular aura aboutHotton has a spectacular aura aboutHotton has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Northern Beaches

Sorry dont want to sound negative but why The place is overated and overpriced , the rents are above average , the place is going to be riddled with apartment blocks very soon and it will be first to take one on the chin when the property bubble bursts on the good side it has beaches
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 10:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Oi!
I live in St Ives, and whist there is development going on, there are nice places to live. Anywhere along the train line- Roseville, Lindfield, Killara, Gordon, Pymble, Turramurra etc. The further out you go the less pricey, (apart from Pymble!)-depends on your budget and what you are looking for. Can't speak for suburbs closer to the CBD.

Can't speak for buses as I have never used one.
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

Hotton has a spectacular aura aboutHotton has a spectacular aura aboutHotton has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
Oi!
I live in St Ives, and whist there is development going on, there are nice places to live. Anywhere along the train line- Roseville, Lindfield, Killara, Gordon, Pymble, Turramurra etc. The further out you go the less pricey, (apart from Pymble!)-depends on your budget and what you are looking for. Can't speak for suburbs closer to the CBD.

I think thats putting it a tad mild The development of apartments on the end of Killeaton street st ives in the upper north shore for instance will be more like a small town in size Work for up to 2 years

Last edited by Hotton; Oct 2nd 2010 at 10:43 pm.
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 10:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
Oi!

They are all lovely areas that we looked in, but they are not considered the Northern Beaches are they? Nevertheless would be good location for someone working in Chatswood.

We moved to Collaroy two months ago and I don't think the place is overrated, I think it is absolutely gorgeous and we love living there, most of all for the sea views and for being able to walk to the beach. There are also a good range of local shops for daily needs and the best pie shop in Sydney (so I am told).

We get the bus into the CBD every day and find it very easy, I have not see any buses going from here to Chatswood so that could be a complicated journey. Sydney buses have a journey planner on their website so take a look at that.
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

Dee why should be re named apartmentville, i think its a total planning mess the new Dee why hotel apartments and RSL complex included
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 9:16 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotton
Dee why should be re named apartmentville, i think its a total planning mess the new Dee why hotel apartments and RSL complex included
I'm with you... DY is a crap hole... I know the real estate agent that's selling the units in the DY Grand and they're flying off his books... almost all to investors...
Old Nov 4th 2010, 7:41 am
GD1
Just Joined

GD1 has a brilliant futureGD1 has a brilliant futureGD1 has a brilliant futureGD1 has a brilliant futureGD1 has a brilliant futureGD1 has a brilliant futureGD1 has a brilliant future

I don't know where you are comparing northern beaches to, including Dee Why. Recently bought up the road from Dee Why Hotel on Pacific Parade and so far have not had any reason to complain.
Unless you have a million to spend you will be paying for an overpriced apartment closer to the CBD.
Buses to Sydney are consistent, but would assume Chatswood run in a lot slower.
As with most places 20ks from the CBD the areas usually have a lot to offer - if they would just fix the roads in and out.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

Do you have kids? If so, French's Forest/Forestville area might be a good compromise - a very family friendly area where housing is predominantly detached houses with gardens, easy bus access to Chatswood and only 10 minutes or so drive from the beach. Rent prices are also probably a bit cheaper than the beaches.

Unfortunately lovely as the "Northern Beaches" suburbs are transport is a real issue and essentially the further North you go the worse it is; If you have to get to Chatswood you really want to stay well South of Mona Vale. A lot of my kids' friends live between Mona Vale and Palm Beach but the main earner inevitably works from home or runs a business or travels a lot so doesn't have to do a daily commute. The suburbs mentioned earlier like St. Ives/Gordon/Turramurra etc. (known as Upper North Shore) would be good for access to Chatswood - especially if you stay on the train line - but are further from the beach and very suburban, i.e. great for big gardens, decent schools and coffee shops during the day but sod all in the way of nightlife. We live in Turramurra (and love it) but with three kids we needed space and good schools - I want to retire to a terrace in Surrey Hills when the kids grow up
Old Nov 8th 2010, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud of

Anywhere north of Chatswood on the Pacific Highway would suit for transport as you have both bus and rail ie: Roseville, Lindfield, Gordon etc but if you want to be closer to the beaches you'll need to cross the bridge and start looking in Forestville, Allambie Heights, Frenchs Forest etc. I'm not sure of bus routes but I would think most of them would be accessible to Chatswood, given it's a major centre.
Old Nov 8th 2010, 10:04 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotton
Sorry dont want to sound negative but why The place is overated and overpriced , the rents are above average , the place is going to be riddled with apartment blocks very soon and it will be first to take one on the chin when the property bubble bursts on the good side it has beaches
So what part of any of that tirade was not negative then?????

I think a lot of what you have stated can be attributed to any decent part of Sydney, its the way of the market at the moment.
Old Nov 8th 2010, 10:11 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndrewMarilyn
Will be working in Chatswood from January 2011 and ideally want to rent in Northern Beaches. Looking for easy bus access into Chatswood. Want a house, garden with good bus route.

Any advice on areas appreciated?

A and M
Routes L60 (Limited Stop peak time bus) and 136 run from beaches to Chatswood, or get other buses to Neutral Bay junction and change there to Chatswood. See route map attached.

House and garden may be expensive depending on your requirements, especially if near a beach, looking at 800 plus easily. Otherwise the Forest area can be good value or as others have said, further up the Upper North Shore towards Hornsby areas.
Attached Files
Old Nov 8th 2010, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

AndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really niceAndrewMarilyn is just really nice

Many thanks Paddyo
Old Nov 8th 2010, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

I went to Balmoral beach the other day. I thought it was lovely. It reminded me of Chiswick in London - all wine-tasting, live jazz and yummy mummys. As a day out at the beach its much nicer than bondi/coogee/maroubra.

No idea whats it'd be like to live there but pretty pricey I reckon. And there was only one hourly bus to the city, although that was on a sunday.
Old Nov 8th 2010, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

Hey, that map is excellent Paddyo...just what I need!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.