Reload this Page >

Northern Beaches

Northern Beaches

Old Nov 24th 2008, 5:16 am
Just Joined

benny02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Northern Beaches

Hi

Family just moved to Harbord, mum, dad and 3 year old. OH works but he's looking for groups to join (maybe not to serious football group) and more importantly beer buddie!!

We are all originally from Conwall moved here in Sept but been in Harbord Northern Beaches about a month.

Any suggestions?

Dee and Anton
Old Nov 25th 2008, 8:37 am
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Northern Beaches

Hi there

You lucky thing! Harbord was our intro to Oz and nothing else has lived up to it - keep it a secret!

We are in Melly but my friend lives in Harbord and will know all the local playgroups etc for your 3 year old if you need any help (PM me your details and I'll pass them on).

We are off up to Manly next week for a hol and catch up so looking forward to being back up there again.

Good luck - hope you settle down well. It's a fantastic place.

Kim
Old Nov 25th 2008, 11:54 am
Three of us

hettie has a brilliant futurehettie has a brilliant futurehettie has a brilliant futurehettie has a brilliant futurehettie has a brilliant futurehettie has a brilliant futurehettie has a brilliant futurehettie has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by koalakim
Hi there

You lucky thing! Harbord was our intro to Oz and nothing else has lived up to it - keep it a secret!

We are in Melly but my friend lives in Harbord and will know all the local playgroups etc for your 3 year old if you need any help (PM me your details and I'll pass them on).

We are off up to Manly next week for a hol and catch up so looking forward to being back up there again.

Good luck - hope you settle down well. It's a fantastic place.

Kim
Cool,when you get the details let me know too,thanks!
Old Nov 27th 2008, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Wilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by benny02
Hi

Family just moved to Harbord, mum, dad and 3 year old. OH works but he's looking for groups to join (maybe not to serious football group) and more importantly beer buddie!!

We are all originally from Conwall moved here in Sept but been in Harbord Northern Beaches about a month.

Any suggestions?

Dee and Anton
Look out for the FTC threads.There is one for 2nd Dec.If you can get to that you will be welcome.
Old Nov 28th 2008, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

My friend is giving me a list when I see her next week but she says playgroups are over subscribed probably due to a baby boom! I certainly noticed a lot more pushchairs around Manly last time I was up!

Otherwise she suggests to get chatting with other Mums at the playground and go that route?

Be back in touch again soon!
Old Nov 29th 2008, 5:38 am
22B
BE Enthusiast

22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future22B has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by koalakim
the local playgroups etc for your 3 year old

This may help......

http://www.bubhub.com.au/activitieslearningnsw.php
Old Dec 5th 2008, 2:51 am
Forum Regular

lochaberlass will become famous soon enoughlochaberlass will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by benny02
Hi

Any suggestions?

Dee and Anton
Hi ... the area is awesome isn't it...

We (me 31 hubby 34 and our big bouncy dog) have been in Freshy a bit over 2months, left uk in march and did some travelling first. Hubby is now working and as such I am putting off work as long as possible.. i should be allowed to enjoy the summer .. so i am telling him anyway.

Can't help with footie I am afraid as hubby is a rugby player, but he did join the Rangers FC supporters club , and I joined the social beach volleyball league down on Manly beach. Anyway as i am a lady of leisure i am often out walking/running with the dog or down at freshy pool, so if you are ever out and about with the wee one and want some company just PM me.
Old Dec 24th 2008, 10:45 am
Just Joined

mark28 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

We have been here since July and live in Seaforth currently although moving to Fairlight in Jan.

We have a three year old and have met quite alot of people both expats and aussie's.

Have also been playing 5 a side football up in Narrabeen on a Tuesday although the league has finished at the mo.

happy to pass details etc if you want to PM.

Cheers Mark
Old Jan 8th 2009, 11:04 am
Just Joined

Cate502 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Can you join the social beach volleyball league at Manly if you're a complete beginner? Moved to Harbord last month (me 24 and boyfriend 27-only arrived in Aus. at beginning of Dec. so still getting used to it) and keen to start joining in with some sports!

QUOTE=lochaberlass;7038822]Hi ... the area is awesome isn't it...

We (me 31 hubby 34 and our big bouncy dog) have been in Freshy a bit over 2months, left uk in march and did some travelling first. Hubby is now working and as such I am putting off work as long as possible.. i should be allowed to enjoy the summer .. so i am telling him anyway.

Can't help with footie I am afraid as hubby is a rugby player, but he did join the Rangers FC supporters club , and I joined the social beach volleyball league down on Manly beach. Anyway as i am a lady of leisure i am often out walking/running with the dog or down at freshy pool, so if you are ever out and about with the wee one and want some company just PM me.[/QUOTE]
Old Jan 8th 2009, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Will there be any room left in Freshie by the time I get there?

Hi Cate

Are you renting in Freshie at the moment? Just wondering how you got on with finding a place that accepts big bouncy dogs!

We want to move up to the area later in the year (poss if all works out) but we also want to get a pet (cat/dog not sure yet) so want to find pet friendly rentals which I believe is quite hard!

Would be grateful to hear how you got on.

Might see you up there later this year!

KK
Old Jan 8th 2009, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

lochaberlass will become famous soon enoughlochaberlass will become famous soon enough

Hi Cate502.....good timing..... the social league starts again in a few weeks time. Last league session they used all the courts but I am afraid I never went down the other end to check out what the standard was like. They do run both 2-a-side and 4-a-side so that would suggest they do cater for a lower standard. Check out the web site:http://www.nbva.org.au/forms/page.aspx?Code=14

you could always email them and ask.. thats what I did. There is a tournament on this weekend down at manly organized by the NBVA I think, there will be some very good people there (sometimes the girls who played at the olympics play in it) but again i have never actually gone and watched it so not sure what the average standard is like.

The other option is to do a course... see http://beachvolleyball.com.au/
they run courses at manly and also another league up at a tennis center/beach vball center up in Dee Why. I might join their league as well this summer to try and get more practice in.

Its great fun you should get involved, the social league was really friendly (well our court was & presume the other courts were similar) and its not super duper competitive.

IF you are looking for other sports, I have spoken to a few people from warringah triathlon club who all seem friendly, I met a guy down at Freshy pool and he was trying to convince me to join up and join in with their club races they run once a month up at north heads.

I am always on the look out for new sports or clubs to get involved in so if you find anything let me know and if you want to meet up at all, or go for a run/bike etc give me a shout, i am still shying away from returning to work (I have started doing my CV tho to keep hubby from nagging too much )

koalakim: Just wondering how you got on with finding a place that accepts big bouncy dogs!
Having a dog defo narrowed down our options, apartment blocks are a no go even if we would have considered apartment. There was a great house we saw where the owner wasn't prepared to accept dogs, which was really disappointing esp as our dog is probably better behaved than most kids , however we also saw 3 advertised that said 'pet friendly' we applied for one and got it. But its an older house (but redecorated) and tbh I doubt anyone else applied for it as its a bit of a weird design inside and even tho its 3 beds it wouldn't have really suited a family.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Lochaberlass

Thanks for that. It's really annoying isn't it - as you say most pets are better behaved and cleaner than kids sometimes!

We'd loved to buy but our money is tied up in our place in the UK so we're stuck until things start to move again over there - so beholden to landlords for a while!

However, nice to know there are some pet friendly places around - even if we have to pay for it! I did see a couple in the Manly Daily when we were up there a few weeks ago, just got to grab one when we see one!

Have fun with the volleyball!

KK
Old Jan 9th 2009, 1:18 am
Just Joined

Cate502 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Lochaberlass & Koalakim,

Thanks for your advice and info about social league, sounds good, have emailed Northern Beaches Volleyball via their website to find out about joining as a complete novice! Might look into some other sports too, already enquired about Softball. They take people with no experience as they have grades for different ages & experience levels but have to wait till April until registration for North Shore (& games are played at St. Ives) or until June for Manly Warringah competition. Triatholon club would certainly be good for fitness! Would be good to meet up for a run or something sometime, I have been doing a fair bit of swimming but been a bit lazy with the running since we got here! I am looking to do some supply teaching so waiting for the kids to get back to school is my excuse!

We are renting in Harbord but pets weren't really a consideration for us at the moment! We were only looking at apartments, most of which don't seem very pet friendly! We have ended up renting a granny flat and guys in main house have a couple of dogs anyway so we get pets included without having to feed them! Our situation was a bit different as we wanted to find a place before Christmas, not spend to much and not get tied into a 6 month contract so we could move for work if need be. My boyfriend's relatives have just moved out of a rented house in Forestville where they had two dogs so am sure there must be places around if you are looking to rent a house. All the best with your search.