Reload this Page >

North Sydney Council to double 4WD parking fees

Wikiposts

North Sydney Council to double 4WD parking fees

Old Mar 1st 2005, 4:05 pm

gedge has disabled reputation
Default Re: North Sydney Council to double 4WD parking fees

Originally Posted by elfman
And when we're talking about the cost of roads we're not just talking about the physical cost of building and maintaining them - more roads and more traffic means more accidents, more policing, more pollution, lower air quality, etc, all of which have costs which are ultimately shouldered by the general taxpayer but are reduced by having good public transport.
Couldn't have put it better.
It's a case of looking at the whole picture, not constraining your thoughts to your little box, or car in some cases.
You have to accept the responsibilities for your actions.
Old Mar 1st 2005, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Superior
By the petrol taxes, rego. Plus motorways are user pays these days. Plus the motorist also pays for public transport as well, which is of course totally wrong

No way! Of course he doesn't. So why should the motorist pay for public transport?
Actually, you'll find that the road infrastructure is not funded solely by your rego or petrol. Infrastructure costs come out of the general pot, meaning that ALL taxpayers end up paying for roads at some point, whether they use them or not.
Old Mar 1st 2005, 8:33 pm
owieb

Why do people make such a fuss about 4WD's polluting the atmosphere, clogging roads etc, when surely a family that runs two medium size family cars is going to cause more congestion and more pollution than a family that runs one 4WD!?!

We have just one car (a 4WD), because we like to travel, go off-road, camping etc. We use a combination of car and public transport.

Last edited by owieb; Mar 1st 2005 at 8:36 pm.

Old Mar 1st 2005, 8:55 pm

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by owieb
Why do people make such a fuss about 4WD's polluting the atmosphere, clogging roads etc, when surely a family that runs two medium size family cars is going to cause more congestion and more pollution than a family that runs one 4WD!?!

We have just one car (a 4WD), because we like to travel, go off-road, camping etc. We use a combination of car and public transport.
It's the 'etc' that worries me most.
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 6:44 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

We can put political pressure on the powers that be to get the gas guzzlers off the road. If our health and safety are at risk then it is our business and governments are increasingly making it their business. If tax revenue is there they will grab the money.

There is no constitutional right to drive what you want. Your vehicle must meet certain standards and you must pay for rego and CTP etc.
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 9:36 am

This is the point; YOU should not worry about it at all! It is NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS what kind of car someone else drive. That is his/her right and no bloody greenie wanker is gonna come and interfere with that right.
Is that the extent of your debating skill?
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 10:02 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

When I become a citizen I'll probably vote green or independant, just like Sydney siders are increasingly doing so. You'll be driving minis before you know it. The laws are changing against 4wds and will carry on doing so. They are an easy target.
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 10:36 pm
frozen to the keyboard

Brissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by bondipom
It is great. Why does anyone in North Sydney need a 4wd?
probably for the same reasons that people in central London also require a monster 4WD.. it's hard driving over all those pedestrians you know
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 11:13 am

[QUOTE=Superior
Like it or lump it. Or piss off back to the UK. Remember that you are a visitor to my country, you'd do best to try and blend in instead of trying to tell us how we should live.[/QUOTE]

Again, highly polished debating skills brought to the fore.

Actually I'm not a visitor here. I'm a permanent resident.
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 11:21 am

you are a visitor to my country
The hilarious thing about this poster is that he shows no sign of being a British Expat (I may be wrong of course). But if he's not, why is he on this forum? Isn't that a bit sad?

The other great thing with these aggressive posters with no intelligent arguing ability is that they are probably wimps who suddenly find that the internet has afforded them the ability to come over like some tough guy.

Absolutely hilarious.

Last edited by ShozInOz; Mar 3rd 2005 at 12:54 pm.
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 12:36 pm
someone's had 'Alex'...

4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice

Originally Posted by ShozInOz
The hilarious thing about this poster is that he shows no sign of being a British Expat
I put this to him before, but don't know if he had an answer as he made my blocked list before much longer. Did the 'what do you make of this guy' thread from yesterday get pulled? I was intrigued to see how it'd pan out.
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 12:57 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by ShozInOz
The hilarious thing about this poster is that he shows no sign of being a British Expat (I may be wrong of course). But if he's now, why is he on this forum? Isn't that a bit sad?

The other great thing with these aggressive posters with no intelligent arguing ability is that they are probably wimps who suddenly find that the internet has afforded them the ability to come over like some tough guy.

Absolutely hilarious.
There are no rules saying that you have to be a BE to contribute to the forum. There's a lot that can be gained from other folk.
Having said that, this guy's posts do raise the question "what is he doing here?" He appears to refuse any other pov except his own. And as for attitude:
Like it or lump it. Or piss off back to the UK. Remember that you are a visitor to my country, you'd do best to try and blend in instead of trying to tell us how we should live.
Maybe he should take his own advice - like it, lump it or p off.

Still there is some comedy value
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by JulesandChris
There are no rules saying that you have to be a BE to contribute to the forum. There's a lot that can be gained from other folk.
Having said that, this guy's posts do raise the question "what is he doing here?" He appears to refuse any other pov except his own. And as for attitude:
Maybe he should take his own advice - like it, lump it or p off.

Still there is some comedy value
Of course - no rules on nationality. But I do wonder what non-expats at least are doing here...bu take your point that there may be somthing to learn (though that doesn't apply to him so I'm still confused)

I have a sneaking suspicion he may just be a piss-taker, trying to get a rise. He probably doesn't believe any of that tripe at all.

Last edited by ShozInOz; Mar 3rd 2005 at 1:39 pm.
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 6:10 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Surely 4WD owners are already making a pricing decision if they choose to buy large engined inefficient cars - they buy more petrol. Not sure why they should then pay additional charges for parking. Exaclty how much more space is being taken up by a 4WD when it is parked?

I have a 4WD 'soft roader'. Its engine size is a mere 2litres. Surely a more equitable systems is to tax on engine size or efficiency - not on how many wheels are driven directly by the engine.

In fact why not base on engine capacity per user. I am a family of four with one car. My engine size/user is 0.5 litre.

Last edited by jayr; Mar 3rd 2005 at 6:15 pm. Reason: To add something I forgot to say earlier
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 7:24 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Wish they'd do same in the UK - 4WD are taking over the world, which you wouldnt mind but none of them EVER off road just pop the 4 miles to pick the kids up from school!!!