Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

North or South of CBD

North or South of CBD

Old Feb 27th 2008, 3:58 pm
Banned

brendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of light
Default North or South of CBD

Cleveland, Raby Bay, Ormiston, Wellington Point, Thornlands, Lota, Manly, Wynnum.

OR

Redcliffe, Scarborough, Margate, Woody Point.

Hello there,

Just wondering, above are two areas of Brisbane, which seem kind of close to CBD, not too far away from either the Gold or Sunshine Coasts? I am looking to book some holiday accommodation in Brisbane.

Which of the two areas would suit someone, who wants to drive into CBD on a regular basis, visit the beach most days, be centrally located to visit both Coasts, and visit a few different pubs/bars most evenings.

I know i am looking for something which maybe does not exist, but the pubs and bars are probably the most important criteria, seconded by the ease of travelling into CBD?

CHEERS.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

bobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud ofbobbyfaescotland has much to be proud of
Default Re: North or South of CBD

Hi there, we live north side and would say that between 06:30 and 09:00 there is no such thing as the ease of travelling into the CBD, and I have heard travelling from the southside up the Gateway is not much better.
So good luck.

Bobby

Originally Posted by brendarover
Cleveland, Raby Bay, Ormiston, Wellington Point, Thornlands, Lota, Manly, Wynnum.

OR

Hello there,

Just wondering, above are two areas of Brisbane, which seem kind of close to CBD, not too far away from either the Gold or Sunshine Coasts? I am looking to book some holiday accommodation in Brisbane.

Which of the two areas would suit someone, who wants to drive into CBD on a regular basis, visit the beach most days, be centrally located to visit both Coasts, and visit a few different pubs/bars most evenings.

I know i am looking for something which maybe does not exist, but the pubs and bars are probably the most important criteria, seconded by the ease of travelling into CBD?

CHEERS.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 7:48 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

OR

Hello there,

CHEERS.
It doesnt exist.

Cleveland or Redcliffe are my immediate choices...

But Burbank, Redland Bay, Manly, Kipparing, Deception Bay, Alex Hills... all kind of seem dooable too
Old Feb 27th 2008, 9:53 pm
Banned

brendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of light

Cheers Gents,

Redcliffe or Cleveland hey, any feedback on the number of decent public establishments at either of these venues?

I suppose my other question is public transport, which venue for cost, time, and availability of public transport?

Cheers, its just there seems to be alot more availability in Redcliffe rather than Cleveland, any ideas why?

Thank you.

p.s. if any venues or areas seem more suitable to my musts and wants please
shout out, never been to Australia, got no idea!
Old Feb 27th 2008, 10:21 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

When you say visit the beach most days.....just to be by the water, or actually walk on a decent beach? The areas above don't have beaches as such...maybe the odd bit of sand here and there but mostly mangroves.

Raby Bay is part of Cleveland and if you wanted to live there it will set you back $$$$$s.

All are well connected on the trainline to Brisbane CBD, except Thornlands.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 10:31 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by bcworld
When you say visit the beach most days.....just to be by the water, or actually walk on a decent beach? The areas above don't have beaches as such...maybe the odd bit of sand here and there but mostly mangroves.

Raby Bay is part of Cleveland and if you wanted to live there it will set you back $$$$$s.

All are well connected on the trainline to Brisbane CBD, except Thornlands.
Thanks,

What about boozers, where would you say the best place is for a good pint, where there is plenty of variety, not too stupidly expensive, you know walk to say eight pubs over a night out? Have the crack with all, enjoy a game of pool, packet of peanuts, then a good curry on the way home?

Cheers.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 10:36 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks,

What about boozers, where would you say the best place is for a good pint, where there is plenty of variety, not too stupidly expensive, you know walk to say eight pubs over a night out? Have the crack with all, enjoy a game of pool, packet of peanuts, then a good curry on the way home?

Cheers.
I'm only familiar with the southern ones, but I'd say Cleveland pretty much ticks those boxes...maybe not 8 pubs, but theres certainly a few I've been to. And I've had a curry down there.....it was OK as Aus curries go.....but don't come to Aus for good curries!
Old Feb 27th 2008, 10:51 pm
Banned

I'm only familiar with the southern ones, but I'd say Cleveland pretty much ticks those boxes...maybe not 8 pubs, but theres certainly a few I've been to. And I've had a curry down there.....it was OK as Aus curries go.....but don't come to Aus for good curries!
Thank you my friend,

I am only coming to Australia on holiday for one thing, and that is i want to sample it, i have never been there before, and before i die, i want to have a look, but i do like a pint or six, a curry, and a rumble under the bed sheets, preferbly in that order?
Old Feb 27th 2008, 11:09 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

Thank you my friend,

I am only coming to Australia on holiday for one thing, and that is i want to sample it, i have never been there before, and before i die, i want to have a look, but i do like a pint or six, a curry, and a rumble under the bed sheets, preferbly in that order?
LOL...then try the Alex Hills Hotel.....or the Koala Tavern in Capalaba.....anyone could get lucky there!
Old Feb 27th 2008, 11:37 pm

>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute

LOL...then try the Alex Hills Hotel.....or the Koala Tavern in Capalaba.....anyone could get lucky there!
Ah the Alex.....Drinking in there with some tradie apprentices at xmas and one lad tells us he hooked up with some girl there the other night,exchanged bodily fluids etc etc...didnt stop for brekky,no goodbyes nothing.

This girl somehow gets his mobile number and rings him for a week..he ignores em all as he doesn't even know her name..

She then sees him out with us and has a go at him for not answering her calls..he replies with you must have been ringing the wrong number...

So she rings his number and "Alex hills slapper"..comes up on his phone..the picture on her face...priceless
Old Feb 27th 2008, 11:39 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by >Trigger<

So she rings his number and "Alex hills slapper"..comes up on his phone..the picture on her face...priceless
Funniest reply I have read this YEAR !!!!!
Old Feb 27th 2008, 11:56 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by >Trigger<
Ah the Alex.....Drinking in there with some tradie apprentices at xmas and one lad tells us he hooked up with some girl there the other night,exchanged bodily fluids etc etc...didnt stop for brekky,no goodbyes nothing.

This girl somehow gets his mobile number and rings him for a week..he ignores em all as he doesn't even know her name..

She then sees him out with us and has a go at him for not answering her calls..he replies with you must have been ringing the wrong number...

Lovely, how great it is to be young, the days of the past?

Great story, give him my congrats, a man of my own heart, you are only young once, he is enjoying it!

Cheers for the reply nice one!

I suppose that was my only concern, i put quite a big emphasis on getting out and having a beer and a crack, i did not, well do not know whether it is the same in Australia. I grew up in clubs called the "Pink Parrot" and "Park Lane", "Busters" "Studio 21". Great times, no f00000kin fantastic times, a bit rough, but what a great bunch of memories, i ain't got alot, but i did have a great teens, 20's and 30's. but now is the time to slow down, my organs are telling me that, but i do not want to go and live in Australia and stop altogether

Keep the stories coming, love the kids, telling the stories, of what they got up to!
Old Feb 28th 2008, 1:28 am
Banned

I grew up in clubs called the "Pink Parrot" and "Park Lane", "Busters" "Studio 21".
OMG another Coventry KID !!!!!!!
Old Feb 28th 2008, 2:32 am
kopites are gobshites

this charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to behold

Eclipse, Cov,Sasha(GOD) SAY NO MORE. Not a pink parrot in sight,but plenty of Doves. get right on one matey.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 2:36 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
OMG another Coventry KID !!!!!!!
For my sins, yes, not you aswell, small world, school re-union anyone?

Hey good luck mate, safe journey, if it wern't such a sad occasion for the trip back here, i would offer to buy you a beer one evening, but i guess; no i know you will have your hands full, enough to deal with etc!

Anyway, all the best, might get to buy you one the other side of the water hey, one day?

If you need anything back here, computer access, anything, pm me, no problem!

Good luck, safe trip!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.