Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

North Queensland Housing market to Collapse

North Queensland Housing market to Collapse

Old Oct 10th 2008, 9:57 am
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: North Queensland Housing market to Collapse

Originally Posted by Tableland
The Australian Govt. does not guarantee any funds in private savings accounts unlike the US ($250,000), the UK (who can keep up? It was £50,000 last time I checked but now with part-nationalisation??). Greece, Ireland, Germany all gurantee 100%. As I predicted a few months ago, there were a couple of mouse-size squeaks coming from the vicinity of Swan & Rudd about this issue, but nothing solid.

I had heard there was talk of a $20.000 guarantee but still not enough for us if it was passed, NR is one of I think 2 banks giving the 100%, the rest are £50.000.

All I can do is keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best

cheers
Old Oct 10th 2008, 10:01 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sooperlids
Good news for some who hope to be on their way next year.
Depends if you want a job when you get here.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

The Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud of

I think Oz will get smashed in this mess, they have climbed much higher than USA, so the potential is there to fall further. They say natural resources and immigration could help soften the blow, but lots of countries including USA has this too and it hasn't made the slightest of difference.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 10:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wardy2
I had heard there was talk of a $20.000 guarantee but still not enough for us if it was passed, NR is one of I think 2 banks giving the 100%, the rest are £50.000.

All I can do is keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best

cheers
Quite - a £10,000 guarantee vaguely mentioned somewhere in the distance is just not good enough. I'm keeping all my money in sterling in a UK account for this reason, so the Aussies miss out on this money because they won't gurantee it. You'll know when the Aussie economy is about to go down the pan because there will be an announcement about substantial savings guarantees beforehand. That's the indicator. Same thing happened in US and UK.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

scooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nicescooby3 is just really nice

framac67 the australian economy is one of the most vulnerable...the imf regard housing as the most unaffordable in the wqestern world...the resource boom is collapsing where do you get your information???
Old Oct 10th 2008, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

sooperlids is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by IvanM
Depends if you want a job when you get here.
So long as I can buy a house with a very small mortgage I am sure I can find something. Won't need to earn very much.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 10:26 am
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

You'll know when the Aussie economy is about to go down the pan because there will be an announcement about substantial savings guarantees beforehand. That's the indicator. Same thing happened in US and UK.
Thanks I will keep a listen out for that
Old Oct 10th 2008, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

chilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nice

I think there's no way australia will miss the global slowdown, I was somewhat shocked by the apparent "head in sand" attitude when I was out there 3 weeks ago.

I'm moving out in February, good news about the house prices, concerned about the impact on jobs though
Old Oct 10th 2008, 11:11 am
BE Enthusiast

geordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond repute

I thought this for a second, but now disagree.

1. The cut in rates is an emergency measure to stop, basically, the entire global banking system from collapsing, it is not about getting people to continue buying houses they can't afford.

(ME)

Not really,some banks are weak,some are strong.The strong are taking over the weak.The Japanese banks that made a mess of it in late 80,s early 90s,are now strong and buying stock in weak US banks (wonderful irony).A lot of banks were on their knees then including the big 4 in OZ.A lot of banks in OZ disappeared then,along with a lot of building societies.

A lot of financial institutions in the US disappeared,they called it the S and L crisis/scandal.Wells Fargo and B of A were on their knees and came back to be very big.

The story going around at the time when the japs had their huge property and stock bubble was that the OZ embassy in Tokyo was valued at more than the whole of California.So the govt sold it,don't know how accurate the story is.

2. The average house is now so over-valued that many people have to borrow ten times their salary to "buy" it. This cannot go on. If more people understood how compound interest worked it wouldn't happen of course, but they don't, so it does.

(ME)
This is nonsense.The two cities I have spent most time in are Perth and Adelaide.There are vast areas of both cities that you can pick up average houses for 350K or less. The average wage is a lot higher than 35K.There is still a link between average prices and average wages.

A mortgage is not compound interest,it is amortisation.As a rule of thumb however much you borrow muliply it by 3 and that is roughly how much you will pay back.Interest rates go lower work on 2.5 times,they go higher then work on 4 times.

3. The average house in the 1920s cost the equivalent of £15,000 today, so you can see from that how out of control things have got.

)ME)
So just doing a simple compound calculation at an average growth of 8% compounding over 81 yrs this gives a price of around 30 quid in the twenties.Which means around 1919 ,15 quid ,and so on.

I have an extensive investment library,around 1910 an average engineering worker in the UK earned 100 quid per year,the average house would have been around a fiver.Do you really think that the average wage was 20 X the price of a house.Compounding that average wage over 100yrs at a rate of 6%(orobably a bit high) gives an average wage today of around 26k (quid)

4. Reference the above points, I htikn even the most stupid of society now recognise houses are chronically unaffordbale and that a crash is on the way. Most people will be and should be very reluctant to buy now, and will simply "wait it out", which will force prices down

(ME)

Do you really think your points are valid.

5. Banks might have lowered their rates a little, but they still demand a massive deposit (in the UK at least). MOst people will take years to save this money, thus delaying the from buying and driving prices down.

(ME)

When I came to OZ I had to save the equivalent of a mortgage payment for 3 yrs with the R and I (now Bankwest).They would then lend me 3.5 times my savings and the savings would form the deposit.Argue amongst yourselves whether deregulation of the banking industry was a good thing or a bad thing.

Basically, I cannot see the housing stock being successfully reinflated, even though our insane governments are trying to do this to inflate their way out of their debt. I think, in the immortal words of GWB, this sucker is going down.
Markets boom and markets bust.The secret is to keep a job so you still have cashflow.Keep a job and cash flow and things are very cheap.Lose your job and it is a life changing disaster
Old Oct 10th 2008, 11:43 am
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

I thought this for a second, but now disagree.

1. The cut in rates is an emergency measure to stop, basically, the entire global banking system from collapsing, it is not about getting people to continue buying houses they can't afford.

2. The average house is now so over-valued that many people have to borrow ten times their salary to "buy" it. This cannot go on. If more people understood how compound interest worked it wouldn't happen of course, but they don't, so it does.

3. The average house in the 1920s cost the equivalent of £15,000 today, so you can see from that how out of control things have got.

4. Reference the above points, I htikn even the most stupid of society now recognise houses are chronically unaffordbale and that a crash is on the way. Most people will be and should be very reluctant to buy now, and will simply "wait it out", which will force prices down.

5. Banks might have lowered their rates a little, but they still demand a massive deposit (in the UK at least). MOst people will take years to save this money, thus delaying the from buying and driving prices down.

Basically, I cannot see the housing stock being successfully reinflated, even though our insane governments are trying to do this to inflate their way out of their debt. I think, in the immortal words of GWB, this sucker is going down.
i think you have valid points tableland ,my theory really boils down to the fact once the bottom end homes say in the outer suburbs pass 3 times a single income the market will eventually correct itself .
a young couple in perth for instance has to earn way way over a 100000 a year just to get a sniff,thats a tough call for most younguns im afraid .
I hate to say it but i think building will stall and there will be huge amounts of people losing their homes ,i dont want it as i work in construction and isnt in my interest but this global slowdown has been going on since dec 2007 here in aussie but it is gathering pace now .
Unfortuntely for new migrants coming here they may if they are lucky sell their house in their own country and be cashed up and with a favourable exchange rate they will feel well off ,once they get off the plane and start going into mainstream life the old problems re-occur ,ie there will be no jobs ,unable to get any finance ,using equity money to live on etc .
This is exactly what happened when i came over in the last recession , i thought i was laughing all the way to the bank untill i faced reality here and living in a caravan park with two small kids and a wife ,it was a nightmare .
Old Oct 10th 2008, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sooperlids
Under my mattress is about as safe as anywhere at the moment!
Safe until your bed collapses

WW
Old Oct 10th 2008, 1:26 pm
_

Kalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond repute

The alternative to not buying your own home is of course renting.

Rents in Perth have been steadily rising, and as typical with a recession, will continue to rise very aggressively and beyond usual market value.

Staying in the rental market you'll be paying well over the top. It's actually a time to be considering buying property, and getting the timing right - wait too long and you'll lose out to investors taking cheap pickings to take advantage of the lucrative rental market which will ultimately start to push the prices back up.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

dpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Kalenge
The alternative to not buying your own home is of course renting.

Rents in Perth have been steadily rising, and as typical with a recession, will continue to rise very aggressively and beyond usual market value.

Staying in the rental market you'll be paying well over the top. It's actually a time to be considering buying property, and getting the timing right - wait too long and you'll lose out to investors taking cheap pickings to take advantage of the lucrative rental market which will ultimately start to push the prices back up.
This of course assumes new renters will continue to appear via increased immigration .....if there aren't any jobs then this WILL dry up leading to rental vacancies.

Thanks to negative gearing, rent-to mortgage ratios are just beyond ridiculous at the moment- our rented house (if we were daft enough to buy just now) would have mortgage payments of around $6000 per month, rent is $2000. Think I will keep my money as cold hard cash for a couple of years yet, and pay part of the rent using the interest earned.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 2:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

chilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nice

Originally Posted by dpande
This of course assumes new renters will continue to appear via increased immigration .....if there aren't any jobs then this WILL dry up leading to rental vacancies.

Thanks to negative gearing, rent-to mortgage ratios are just beyond ridiculous at the moment- our rented house (if we were daft enough to buy just now) would have mortgage payments of around $6000 per month, rent is $2000. Think I will keep my money as cold hard cash for a couple of years yet, and pay part of the rent using the interest earned.
Looks like it'll be best to hang fire on buying when I get out & rent instead!?
Old Oct 10th 2008, 3:45 pm
_

Kalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dpande
I'm not assuming that new renters will appear via increased immigration. I agree that this avenue is likely to decrease.

It's just that a recession typically results in a move towards the rental market for a number of reasons (decrease in bank loans, reduced cash flow/equity, fear of commitment). Rental demands dramatically increase, which results in inflated rental payments.

If you have sufficient equity the smart money will be purchasing property in a recession.

Originally Posted by chilliman
Looks like it'll be best to hang fire on buying when I get out & rent instead!?
And here's a great example ... a common reaction which results in an inflated rental market.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.