Noosa

Old Aug 9th 2012, 10:45 pm
Forum Regular

NZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to behold
Default Noosa

Hi there,

Im moving to Noosa in September and I want to know from people who live there the following please

Where to find furnished rentals for the first 6 month stay

What schools are good in the area for my two boys aged 12 and 13

Thanks
Old Aug 9th 2012, 10:52 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Noosa

Originally Posted by NZGrl
Hi there,

Im moving to Noosa in September and I want to know from people who live there the following please

Thanks
Hey, you're off to the Sunshine coast We stayed there for a week a couple of years back. The park at Noosa Heads is brilliant, lots of lovely walks. Great beach at Noosa.

Obviously can't help with your questions but sure you'll love it there. If you ever need an optician, I know an excellent one who has her own practice at North Lakes Shopping Centre, north of Brisbane. Bit of a way to go, I know but she is very thorough & has all the latest equipment. The chain opticians send their patients to her when they are unsure of something

Best of luck chuck.
Old Aug 9th 2012, 11:27 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Phone the local real estate agents. Richardson&Wrench are good.
http://www.randw.com.au/noosa/
Old Aug 10th 2012, 2:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

I think Sunshine Beach State High has good results.
Old Aug 10th 2012, 3:13 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
I think Sunshine Beach State High has good results.
I'd rent in sunshine beach if I was moving to that general area.

this one is $295 per week:
http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...each-401597198

same street but $695 per week: (this one has photos, there's probably a good reason why the other one doesn't....)
http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...each-408369367

a little cheaper at $400:
http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...each-405055180

Or why not splash out a bit, for a sea view $795pw:
http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...each-408128035

edit - that last one is also listed for sale. A bargain at $2m !
http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...each-110310325
Old Aug 10th 2012, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

Thanks
Hi we live in Noosa, have done for 8 years. My hubby is a local cop here as well. Sunshine Beach SHS is a shocker - avoid at all costs, as is Noosa District SHS. Our boys go to St Teresas Catholic College (we're not religious) , school fees apply but we really felt like we had no other choice when choosing a high school. There is a wait list. Furnished rentals probably best to wait until you get here as there are lots of real estates who have holiday units on their books. Only problem with organising it from the UK is they charge you holiday rates. Our friends walked in to one place looking for a 2 bed furnished unit for 3 months, and secured it for $380 a week, prime location. Have a look at the Dunes on Peregian Springs and Enso Peregian Springs as well as the The Entrance, Gibson Rd Noosa. Townhouses there are between $380-420 per week
Old Aug 10th 2012, 11:36 pm
Just Joined

winky297 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by glittababe
Hi we live in Noosa, have done for 8 years. My hubby is a local cop here as well. Sunshine Beach SHS is a shocker - avoid at all costs, as is Noosa District SHS. Our boys go to St Teresas Catholic College (we're not religious) , school fees apply but we really felt like we had no other choice when choosing a high school. There is a wait list. Furnished rentals probably best to wait until you get here as there are lots of real estates who have holiday units on their books. Only problem with organising it from the UK is they charge you holiday rates. Our friends walked in to one place looking for a 2 bed furnished unit for 3 months, and secured it for $380 a week, prime location. Have a look at the Dunes on Peregian Springs and Enso Peregian Springs as well as the The Entrance, Gibson Rd Noosa. Townhouses there are between $380-420 per week
Totally agree on SB High... pulled my daughter out after 4 months and sent her to GSLC.. Hated St Andrews too.. which is where they went when we first arrived 6 years ago... big carpet and big sweeping brush at that school plus if you don't get in with the car park mafia and their 6" heels you're done for ha ha.. Best to take the kids and look at all the different options, a lot of our friends also moved their kids to St Teresas also and they have seen massive changes in their kids so that can only be a good thing. Loads of rental companies around, a friend owns the Noosa Apartments near main beach she is called Leah, and also Noosa Place resort (Damien) do great long term weekly prices, they are right on Noosa River, doesn't get much nicer for a walk of an evening. All that being said we left Australia in January and now live just outside Toronto.. Am sure you will love all Noosa has to offer.. Enjoy!!
Old Aug 11th 2012, 4:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Good to get a local's opinion as from a distance you can only go off official results rather than the feel of the school which is more important. Sunshine Beach State School's NAPLAN results have improved consistently since 2008 btw and they are now stronger than St Teresa's and the like but academic results aren't everything.
Old Aug 11th 2012, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

NZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to behold

Getting worried about schooling now. Whats so bad about Sunshine Beach State High?

We are coming from NZ so the schooling here would be really similar to Australia Im guessing. Is the school rough? Bullies etc??
Old Aug 11th 2012, 10:42 pm
Just Joined

Getting worried about schooling now. Whats so bad about Sunshine Beach State High?

We are coming from NZ so the schooling here would be really similar to Australia Im guessing. Is the school rough? Bullies etc??
We found it very rough tbh.. schooling up to grade 7 was ok but High school was not pleasant... plenty of bullies to do the rounds and some other unpleasant nasties that 13 year olds really shouldn't have to be exposed to.. its seemed to be a "conform and try" or be outcasted... only my opinion other families didn't seem to mind the challenges kids were having, my daughter was not a follower in any sense of the word.... so it just didn't work for us..
Am sure once you have a look around you will get a feel for somewhere that just feels right..
Old Aug 12th 2012, 3:29 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
Good to get a local's opinion as from a distance you can only go off official results rather than the feel of the school which is more important. Sunshine Beach State School's NAPLAN results have improved consistently since 2008 btw and they are now stronger than St Teresa's and the like but academic results aren't everything.
and its NAPLAN - no one pays any attention to them lol My friend's kids go to sunshine beach shs - she has no choice as can't afford the other schools around here. There is a HUGE drug problem there, worst than Noosa district (which always had a drug prob). Bullying goes to the extreme of two knife woundings last year and my dear old hubby and his colleague had to taser a 14 year old, who was kicking off in the classroom. They've tried various things to sort the school out, including removing one of the 16 year old drug dealers to Coolum beach shs, but it's continued. Shame as a rotten few have ruined it for the rest of the school. Other friends kids go to st andrews (expensive) and GSLC. We put our boys into Eumundi ss for primary and it was excellent! Unfortunately, they grow up and need high school (sniff)
Old Aug 12th 2012, 11:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

and its NAPLAN - no one pays any attention to them lol
If only that was true many of the exclusive schools in Brisbane are obsessed with them

My friend's kids go to sunshine beach shs - she has no choice as can't afford the other schools around here. There is a HUGE drug problem there, worst than Noosa district (which always had a drug prob). Bullying goes to the extreme of two knife woundings last year and my dear old hubby and his colleague had to taser a 14 year old, who was kicking off in the classroom. They've tried various things to sort the school out, including removing one of the 16 year old drug dealers to Coolum beach shs, but it's continued. Shame as a rotten few have ruined it for the rest of the school. Other friends kids go to st andrews (expensive) and GSLC. We put our boys into Eumundi ss for primary and it was excellent! Unfortunately, they grow up and need high school (sniff)
Great to get local opinions...far more valuable than just Naplan scores...
Old Aug 12th 2012, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for all your replies. I have decided to look at Peregian beach or Coolum so the kids can attend one of the schools around those areas....they seem to look much better.
Old Aug 12th 2012, 9:07 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all your replies. I have decided to look at Peregian beach or Coolum so the kids can attend one of the schools around those areas....they seem to look much better.
You will get a lot more for your money there, Peregian Springs is huge, plenty to rent on there, Peregian beach is a great spot too..
Old Aug 13th 2012, 2:31 am
Forum Regular

Famous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by winky297
Hated St Andrews too.. which is where they went when we first arrived 6 years ago... big carpet and big sweeping brush at that school plus if you don't get in with the car park mafia and their 6" heels you're done for ha ha.. Best to take the kids and look at all the different options,
I would agree that the best approach for the OP would be to visit the local schools and consider which of them would best suit her children.

I have two children at St Andrew's, plus one who went there and is now away at uni: we have had no problems and the children love it there, but it has changed tremendously (for the better in my view) in the last 4 to 5 years following a change of principal in 2007. I must have missed something with regard to "the car park mafia" as I've never had any issues, but perhaps I'm not that observant!

All I know is that St Andrew's works for my children, but it won't be the right choice for everyone.

Best of luck NZGrl with the move and in choosing the right school for your kids.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.