Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Non stop London to Sydney

Non stop London to Sydney

Old Feb 24th 2006, 2:45 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Non stop London to Sydney

Originally Posted by Grayling
If it were commercially viable then I suppose someone would already be doing it with the same planes.

G
SIA don't have economy seats on this plane. It's 1st, business & premium economy. I guess they are going for the business market. I think Qantas would do the same.
Old Feb 24th 2006, 2:51 pm
G'day Mate

Boomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of light

Unfortunately it is only a relatively small twin engined plane and there would not be room for anything but seats.

Have you seen the size of a B777 Engine? The diameter is almost the same as a B737 Cabin Lots of power.

Has for small, well one of the B777 versions i think it is the -300 ( 3x4x3) takes "almost" the same number of passengers as B747.

Personaly i wouldn't fly non-stop and this coming from someone who is learning to fly the damn things

Last edited by Boomerang; Feb 24th 2006 at 2:53 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2006, 2:53 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomerang

Have you seen the size of a B777 Engine? The diameter is almost the same as a B737 Cabin Lots of power.

Has for small, well one of the B777 versions i think it is the -300 (the 3x4x3) takes "almost" the same number of passengers as B747.

Personaly i would fly non-stop and this coming from someone who is learning to fly the damn things

Did you watch that programme about Ryan Air? The shortcuts they take on safety?

Old Feb 24th 2006, 2:54 pm
G'day Mate

Boomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of light

Oh yes i did, but that's Ryanair, and it happens to other airlines too, so where do you think these low costs get their money from? Certainly not just from their £1 (plus taxes) ticket prices...

Even Qantas is losing its "name" everything is being transfered to JetStar and Jetstar international (low cost from Qantas) Maintenance going off-shore to China etc...

Last edited by Boomerang; Feb 24th 2006 at 2:58 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2006, 2:55 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
We flew Gatwick to Vancouver and stopped off in Edmonton to refuel.

The plane was quite small and there wasnt alot of room to stretch.

However, all worth it once we got there, the size of the apple pie, the pancakes! Oh my god, do they know how to serve food!
I can still taste them! In my dreams.........

Outgoing - London - Vancouver, easy flight no stop but only 10hrs max with head wind against us, I am sure it should only be nine hours now one flight max. Getting out of Vancouver in '94 was a story, on off on off plane and that was before we took off! With and 14 mth old and a 3 year old!

In terms of long haul, try the 14 hr Sydney to LA then Alaskan Airways up to Vancouver. When that route doesn't work for dad flying from papua he has to fly down to Sydney via bisbane then NZ to LA, San Fran and then up to BC!

Silly sod living in Vancouver and working offshore in PNG!
Old Feb 24th 2006, 3:00 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sandra
I can still taste them! In my dreams.........

Outgoing - London - Vancouver, easy flight no stop but only 10hrs max with head wind against us, I am sure it should only be nine hours now one flight max. Getting out of Vancouver in '94 was a story, on off on off plane and that was before we took off! With and 14 mth old and a 3 year old!

In terms of long haul, try the 14 hr Sydney to LA then Alaskan Airways up to Vancouver. When that route doesn't work for dad flying from papua he has to fly down to Sydney via bisbane then NZ to LA, San Fran and then up to BC!

Silly sod living in Vancouver and working offshore in PNG!

I loved the customer service in Canada. I bought a pair of jeans and they were too long, within minutes, she had organised a tailor to alter them free of charge.

That big shopping centre in Burnaby is fab. And that is coming from someone who hates shopping.

I want some pancakes now.
Old Feb 24th 2006, 3:05 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

I loved the customer service in Canada. I bought a pair of jeans and they were too long, within minutes, she had organised a tailor to alter them free of charge.

That big shopping centre in Burnaby is fab. And that is coming from someone who hates shopping.

I want some pancakes now.
I WANT PANCAKES NOW TOO! stamp feeties (can I have a smiley with stammpy feet?)

It was a toss up for hubby and I about Canada and Aus.....personally the grass is greener elsewhere!....Northern Ireland....but we could not get jobs so we chose Aus for now!
Old Feb 24th 2006, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by Sandra
I WANT PANCAKES NOW TOO! stamp feeties (can I have a smiley with stammpy feet?)

It was a toss up for hubby and I about Canada and Aus.....personally the grass is greener elsewhere!....Northern Ireland....but we could not get jobs so we chose Aus for now!

We did think about Canada, but to be honest, I prefer a hotter climate.

We were only in Canada for a week, not nearly enough.

Pancakes and icecream.
Old Feb 24th 2006, 3:26 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomerang

Has for small, well one of the B777 versions i think it is the -300 ( 3x4x3) takes "almost" the same number of passengers as B747.

Personaly i wouldn't fly non-stop and this coming from someone who is learning to fly the damn things
Yes

I used to live near the RR factory were they make the things

I said 'relatively' small. ie compared to a 747 or A380

G
Old Feb 24th 2006, 6:12 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Non stop London to Sydney

Non-stop to London a reality
Well, duh.

Who in their right mind would put themselves through that kind of stress in the first place?
Old Feb 24th 2006, 7:14 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

I still like being able to get off the plane and stretch my legs. We were not allowed off the plane when we flew to Canada and we felt exhausted.
For starters what they did just about broke every safety rule in the book. ALL passengers have to disembark prior to the refueling hose even being connected to the aircraft. You should report the incident/airline to the relevent Civil Aviation Authority because it is a highly dangerous practice. They won't even let passengers board early if the aircraft is being refuelled on shorthaul turn-arounds.
Old Feb 24th 2006, 8:08 pm
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

We did Heathrow - Dubai - Brisbane and the were very loosely 3 x 7 hour flights.

This time we're looking at going Heathrow - Singapore - Brisbane and think we'd prefer just the one stop.

All the way would be too much for me.

Ok, Brisbane IS further, but you know what I'm saying.
Old Feb 24th 2006, 8:30 pm
oneday someday

jas_uk is a jewel in the roughjas_uk is a jewel in the roughjas_uk is a jewel in the roughjas_uk is a jewel in the roughjas_uk is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by The Bloke
For starters what they did just about broke every safety rule in the book. ALL passengers have to disembark prior to the refueling hose even being connected to the aircraft. You should report the incident/airline to the relevent Civil Aviation Authority because it is a highly dangerous practice. They won't even let passengers board early if the aircraft is being refuelled on shorthaul turn-arounds.
Not true, they are allowed to refuel with passengers on board (see page 15 of this PDF file ). This allows them to refuel with passengers on board so long as CASR 91.475 is complied with, which is to do with aisle and exit obstruction (steps available, seat belts not on, etc). Theres no way any pilot/airline wishing to remain in business would risk contravening a CAA rule knowingly, theres no way they wouldn't be found out and dealt with appropriately.

Old Feb 24th 2006, 10:17 pm
A horse walks into a bar.

russmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Well, duh.

Who in their right mind would put themselves through that kind of stress in the first place?
The kind who fly LHR, singapore, Brisbane, Auckland in one hit with very little time to relax while waitng for the next flight, now that was stressful. Still I'd like to get it all done in one hit, save a couple of hours anyway
Old Feb 24th 2006, 11:01 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

>>The 777-200LR was first slated as a London to Sydney direct option, with the reverse route unlikely because of tail winds. But it is understood that Boeing is close to improving its new jet's range.<<

Don't you just admire the grasp of facts that journalists have! Either that, or they can't correctly express what they mean...