Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

non-genuine car bumpers, problem with insurcance company...

non-genuine car bumpers, problem with insurcance company...

Old Dec 14th 2014, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

Mike_P is a name known to allMike_P is a name known to allMike_P is a name known to allMike_P is a name known to allMike_P is a name known to allMike_P is a name known to allMike_P is a name known to allMike_P is a name known to allMike_P is a name known to allMike_P is a name known to allMike_P is a name known to all
Question non-genuine car bumpers, problem with insurcance company...

Hi guys,

I have recently bought a 2nd hand car, and intend to replace both front and rear bumpers as they have a lot of scratches and dents on them. I intend to go with non-genuine bumpers as the genuine Mazda bumpers cost at least twice as much.

Sorry if it's an obvious question, but will I be likely to have any hiccups with my car insurance company in case I have a car accident in the future?

I mean, what if the insurance company argues that they will not cover further damages say to the body of the car which would had been preventable if the car had had genuine bumpers?

Cheers,

Mike
Old Dec 14th 2014, 8:24 pm
Spud

spuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: non-genuine car bumpers, problem with insurcance company...

It shouldn't be an issue, but your policy will have a section where you can declare modifications to your vehicle. You could list in that section 'identical after market bumper panels' and then what ever happens you're covered. They might ask for photos or an inspection if they are concerned, but I doubt they will bother.
Old Dec 15th 2014, 10:36 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spuddyo
It shouldn't be an issue, but your policy will have a section where you can declare modifications to your vehicle. You could list in that section 'identical after market bumper panels' and then what ever happens you're covered. They might ask for photos or an inspection if they are concerned, but I doubt they will bother.
....and then if you have an accident, in some instances, they (the repairer) usually replace with the cheapest option....either non-genuine or 2nd hand parts.....
Old Dec 17th 2014, 6:14 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

as spuddyo says, just inform them that it has aftermarket bumpers just in case and you will be fine. because it doesn't change the value of the car it probably isn't required, but better to be safe.

there are literally tens of thousands of 4x4's with aftermarket front and rear bumpers so its very common to be listed as an extra.