Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Nominated occupation

Nominated occupation

Old May 8th 2003, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

it_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to all
Question Nominated occupation

Is there anyone on here with experience of applying for a visa as a teacher? I did a 4 year B.Ed with Honours and get the impression from NOORSO that I don't need any additional teaching experience (since qualifying I've spent most of my time in IT) - is that the case?

Might it be better if I nominate Secondary Teaching as my occupation or IT (would have to go through what looks like a painful asessment with the ACS if I do)?

Is there any advantage with teaching over IT or vice versa?

Thanks

Steve
Old May 8th 2003, 8:23 pm
Vee
BE Enthusiast

Vee is an unknown quantity at this point

The assessment isn't really painful at all. Hubby did it and it was just a case of getting references, sending in degree marks (if you got a degree in IT that is) and that's about it. The worst thing was waiting for his college to send a transcript of his grades. I would imagine though that you would have to do all that for any job. A friend of ours who is a teacher also had to send in similar stuff when he applied.

As with everything though it cost a bit of money (over AUS$300 I believe).
Old May 8th 2003, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

it_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to allit_hooker is a name known to all

Ah, there's the rub - I don't have a formal qualification in IT - just years of experience.

Steve
Old May 8th 2003, 8:30 pm
Vee
BE Enthusiast

If you have any questions or doubts or want to know the best way to get in then why don't you see about getting an Immigration Lawyer? We had a few probs at first but got in touch with an IL in Sydney and she showed us a better route to go.

I can't remember if it was totally necessary for IT people to have a qualification in IT. Do you have a degree at all? I think that if you can show you know your IT stuff (through references) then it shouldn't really matter what type of degree you have (if you have one).

IT people tho aren't on the Most in Demand list....teachers I think are.
Old May 8th 2003, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Vee
If you have any questions or doubts or want to know the best way to get in then why don't you see about getting an Immigration Lawyer? We had a few probs at first but got in touch with an IL in Sydney and she showed us a better route to go.

I
What's the difference between an Immigration Lawyer and a Migration Agent?

Steve
Old May 8th 2003, 11:28 pm
Forum Regular

pott is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
No idea what the difference is but the latter should be able to tell you what you need. Just phone, they will be able to do a telephone assessment.

Pott.
Old May 9th 2003, 9:03 am
Vee
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by it_hooker
What's the difference between an Immigration Lawyer and a Migration Agent?

Steve
Erm not sure actually. I know that our person helps to get immigrants out of the detention centres in those god forbidden places in very remote Australia. She is based in Sydney so I don't know if that makes a difference?

She has actually been really good so if you would like her details I can send them to you. May be worth having a chat or sending an email.

I'm sure you've seen all the free assessments you can get on line as well. May be worth giving it a go.
Old May 9th 2003, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

Yep - seen all the on-line assessments - done them all, and always pass. But I pass whether I do Teaching or IT - it's just that the assessment process for teaching looks quicker and easier because of my qualifications.

What the on-line assessment doesn't say is whether I should nominate IT or Teaching. Secondary school teaching is also on the MODL for Victoria so they could fast-track me whereas there's a very narrow list for IT - some of which I've touched but couldn't call myself an real expert in them.

Sigh....... decisions, decisions.......

Steve