No Worries

Old Aug 30th 2004, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

lee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nice
Default No Worries

We have two sons Jack age 10, Tom age 8, they both can't wait to get to Oz. My worry is that they have no worries at all about the move. Ok we have dangled a swimming pool, a dog and living near a beach at them, but I feel they have taken it all a bit too well. As an adult I can see that maybe they might have a few teething problems at school and settling in to a new way of life, but they don't seem to have a care in the world. Tom has taken Australia to his heart, he loves anthing Australian, and was delighted that Australia beat us in the Olympics. My worry is that shouldn't they be a little anxious like us, or is this normal for boys of this age.

Anyone with kids this age, can you let me know your experiences please.

Jane
Old Aug 30th 2004, 3:19 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No Worries

Originally Posted by lee/jane
We have two sons Jack age 10, Tom age 8, they both can't wait to get to Oz. My worry is that they have no worries at all about the move. Ok we have dangled a swimming pool, a dog and living near a beach at them, but I feel they have taken it all a bit too well. As an adult I can see that maybe they might have a few teething problems at school and settling in to a new way of life, but they don't seem to have a care in the world. Tom has taken Australia to his heart, he loves anthing Australian, and was delighted that Australia beat us in the Olympics. My worry is that shouldn't they be a little anxious like us, or is this normal for boys of this age.

Jane
Bit different situation but still...
I left Australia when I was 14. I can remember being excited! I asked my friends(who I've kept in contact with) if they could remember how I was, and they did say I was sad to be leaving them, but mainly excited.

I don't think it's wierd at all, though it might still come when the time comes closer, or they could miss friends once they're here, but I think most kids are just fine, and the younger the better!
(I was 5 the first time we came, don't remember much though)

Good luck!
I think you should be glad you don't have problems(yet... )

Old Aug 30th 2004, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

debio is an unknown quantity at this point

My youngest thinks it will be brill also.My 15 yr old was a bit apprehensive at first,but after spending many hours surfing the net together for info-I think he would probably kill us if we didn't end up going now.
Remember information is power.

As for the schooling.I personally think that the sooner they are integrated the quicker they will settle.

When my sister-in-law emigrated 4 yrs ago ,they gave the children little info and the eldest who was then 12 was in pieces,he knew nothing about WA or oz as a whole and it was an awfully upsetting time for him.

Don't worry too much -personally, i think their attitudes are healthy and they obviously feel confidence in you that all will be well.
Old Aug 30th 2004, 9:33 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Jane
Stop worrying.. It will be even better for them when they get here..... Christina brought her 2 kids aged 10 and 8 over, and they were constantly asking can we go to Australia now. Well within the first week of being here and at school had friends coming over, going to friends houses, sleep overs, its like grand bloody central and the kids love it. Me, i love it when there all sleeping
Old Aug 30th 2004, 9:43 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Jane
STRANGE ????
You worried that you boys are not worried
Old Aug 30th 2004, 9:44 pm
Go Banana's !!

Originally Posted by Siren
Stop worrying.. It will be even better for them when they get here..... Christina brought her 2 kids aged 10 and 8 over, and they were constantly asking can we go to Australia now. Well within the first week of being here and at school had friends coming over, going to friends houses, sleep overs, its like grand bloody central and the kids love it. Me, i love it when there all sleeping

I'm sure Jill will echo Siren's comments as although I'm still in the Uk our little 'un is 7 years old and is really doing well.

She had a few teething problems at school (see earlier threads on the Banana's diaries) but has now took to Ozzie life whole heartedly. When she comes on the phone now to me its like I've got a new daughter. She is so full of confidence and talkative whereas she wasn't like that before - she even has the traces of an accent change !!

She seems to have so much to tell me about school and everything else going on in her life and she appears a much happier child.

I just can't wait to get over there and give her a cuddle !!

Good luck and I'm sure your will be fine. Stop worrying and if they are eager to go, nurture it.

Best wishes

Warren
Perth in 9 weeks and counting !!

Old Aug 31st 2004, 1:27 am
Forum Regular

lee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nice

Originally Posted by soapy
STRANGE ????
You worried that you boys are not worried

Soapy - you obviously have no kids, I'am a mum, it's my job to worry, that's what we bo best

jane
Old Aug 31st 2004, 2:05 am
Go Banana's !!

Soapy - you obviously have no kids, I'am a mum, it's my job to worry, that's what we bo best

jane
Hi,

I can remember Jill telling me that our little 'un, in a moment of opening up, described her "tummy feeling a bit like a washing machine" about the move to Oz. I guess she meant that it was exciting and bit a daunting at the same time.

Anyway, as I said earlier she seems absolutely fine now and if it did bother her then she never showed it too much - not that I was there that much of course with working away in the week.

Warren

Old Aug 31st 2004, 4:47 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi!

Christina here... My kiddos (as mentioned 8 and 10) were SO anxious to just GO. We had been waiting for 2 and a half years and by the time a year of that had gone by they were really excited and into all things Australian... no worries at all. By the time another year had gone by... it was old news. Let's just get on with it already!
What's to worry about? It's been coming for ages!
Kids adapt so easily... it's much scarier as an adult! :scared:

Siren
Old Aug 31st 2004, 10:40 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

jane
i do have kids !!!!
i always found when the kids are happy so are we. dont find things to worry about. u will have enough during the run up to the move