Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

No Whinging Poms in Tasmania

No Whinging Poms in Tasmania

Old Jan 16th 2005, 4:56 am
wombat42

Default No Whinging Poms in Tasmania

Having been reading the forum for a year l have never heard of a single British immigrant to Tasmania who was unhappy with the place. There have been plenty complaining about every other state and city.
Is Tasmania the perfect destination British immigrants?
Even though it attracts the smallest numbers of migrants, you would expect some people to be whinging about it on this forum. Is it the similar green countryside and cool climate.

Last edited by wombat42; Jan 16th 2005 at 5:03 am.

Old Jan 16th 2005, 5:00 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No Whinging Poms in Tasmania

Originally Posted by wombat42
I reckon so; given the choice I'd move there tomorrow
Old Jan 16th 2005, 8:52 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Job in a King Island cheese factory with "all you can eat"?

Some thing for you to chew on - click here.

Last edited by Quinkana; Jan 16th 2005 at 8:55 am.
Old Jan 16th 2005, 9:07 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Quinkana
Job in a King Island cheese factory with "all you can eat"?

Some thing for you to chew on - click here.
Excellent! Just got to convince The Bloke now!!
Old Jan 16th 2005, 9:14 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

Excellent! Just got to convince The Bloke now!!
Just say that the air conditioning is fully subsidized by The Almighty.
Old Jan 16th 2005, 9:21 am
No need for rose tinted.

the Wombats has a spectacular aura aboutthe Wombats has a spectacular aura aboutthe Wombats has a spectacular aura about

Having been reading the forum for a year l have never heard of a single British immigrant to Tasmania who was unhappy with the place. There have been plenty complaining about every other state and city.
Even though it attracts the smallest numbers of migrants, you would expect some people to be whinging about it on this forum. Is it the similar green countryside and cool climate.
No one goes there, the population of Taz choose to keep the country within the family

Never considered it myself but when people talk about Taz its always with a joke and never gives a true picture of the place. I always got the impression rightly or wrongly that Taz is filled with strange people who imbreed and are very predjudice. Not my own opinion of course just how it is protrayed.
Old Jan 16th 2005, 9:22 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Quinkana
Just say that the air conditioning is fully subsidized by The Almighty.
That helps! He keeps muttering the sacred words 'Foxtel Digital' though, so U think that would have a bearing on his decision too! Does Austar cover King Island?
Old Jan 16th 2005, 9:52 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Thats because, they have all been eaten :scared: , no seriously if i can put it in away that the pom,s could understand, it,s like living in a giant "west country" ie Dorset, Devon , Somerset, Cornwall, only with bigger hills. And nice but "funny people "................ .............. mm
Old Jan 16th 2005, 9:54 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Superior
It is probably the most english-like place in Australia. A little bit backward and boring..........
Is that like England????....................... mm
Old Jan 16th 2005, 10:01 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

That sounds pretty emphatic!
Old Jan 16th 2005, 1:11 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Rog Williams
That sounds pretty emphatic!
It was the first place in Oz that I visited, have been back several times. It holds special memories, but is also soooo peaceful, so much diverse scenery, so many unexplored places. I found the people there were more friendly than up here (in general) - just a bit more welcoming. While its small and isolated, Qld feels just as lonely and remote (to me). Also I prefer the climate down here - I really struggle here.
Maybe there is a small rose-tinted element about this, but I know in my heart I would feel more at home there than here, for numerous reasons.

I feel at home there as soon as the plane lands - something I long to fel here in Brissie, but as yet haven't managed.

Last edited by Pollyana; Jan 16th 2005 at 1:15 pm.
Old Jan 16th 2005, 2:42 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by Superior
It is probably the most english-like place in Australia. A little bit backward and boring..........
Sounds like pockets of NSW Central Coast!

Merlot

Old Jan 16th 2005, 6:57 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Tasmania has high unemployment and a small number of employers. The British migrant is also after warmer weather.
Old Jan 17th 2005, 1:27 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

We went there in winter time, last year (first week of August) to check it out. Even at it's worst, it's really great, IF (and it's a big 'IF') it's what you want and are looking for. Like BP said, most migrants want warmer weather.

Tassie is like southern England was, about 50 - 60 years ago. Similar climate (cool temperate), and a sparse population. As this is just what Mrs DUP and I want, we'll be heading there as soon as Dear DIMIA extract their collective heads from their collective colons, and grant our SIR(P) visas. SWMBO is just doing the final bit of paperwork, as I speak.....
Old Jan 17th 2005, 2:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bondipom
Tasmania has high unemployment and a small number of employers. The British migrant is also after warmer weather.
Too many Brits moved there in the past against their will!

Read The Potato Factory by Bryce Courtenay, Out of Ireland by Christopher Koch, For the term of his natural life by Marcus Clarke, Morgan's Run by Colleen McCullough etc to get a flavour of the early British invasion of Van Diemen's Land.

Seriously, beautiful place and well worth a visit and considering for migration. Personally, I think I'd get island sickness and hanker for the bigger island of the mainland.

OzTennis

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.