Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

No mail Please, Were British

No mail Please, Were British

Old Sep 5th 2005, 9:16 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No mail Please, Were British

Originally Posted by Moody Cow
I hear ya...our bottle recycle bag looks like we've cleared out a brewery every fortnight (although I do put EVERYTHING in, those plastic trays that cakes come on, sauce bottles etc) whilst our neighbour hardly fills a shopping bag! In fact, I had to go and buy one of those huge red and blue laundry bags to put the bottles in and a plastic box for newspapers etc...even then its a struggle.

Are you supposed to put tin cans in with the glass and plastic? Some say yes and some say that they sort the rubbish at the depot with a magnet and pick the cans out so you don't need to.

MC
south Australia, has deposits on all liquor/beer/soft drink and milk ,fruit juice containers, 5cents per item, last time i took mine back i got $42 . not bad for a weeks drinking ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, mm
Old Sep 5th 2005, 11:55 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

One could of course "unsubscribe" from direct marketing.

Try this..........

http://www.adma.com.au/asp/index.asp?pgid=1999

It should cut down if not stop the junk.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 12:01 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

You could put a sign on your letter box - " no junk mail". You can buy the signs in hardware shops such as Bunnings if you don't want to make one.

I don't know if they work, I haven't got one - as if I was delivering flyers I think I'd have a wicked tendency to stuff heaps of flyers into the mail boxes who had this no junk mail sign on them on , so I think it's a bit counteractive having those signs.

what annoys me is that when you go away, it's a sure sign for would be burglars that the house is empty when the junk mail piles up - what's the point of holding your mail at the PO when these stupid flyers get shoved into your letter box.

what we do when we go away ( besides holding mail back with the PO and getting someone to pop in now and again to get rid of the rubbish ) , is to actually remove our post box ( ok if you've got one that sticks into the ground and can be yanked up, and not a brick one of course) so they can't shove flyers into our mail box. - it works. No post box - no junk mail. Doesn't stop the free newspapers though, they just chuck those on the ground with us- haven't thought of a way to stop those yet besides grabbing the" evil messenger "and tying him/her up for a couple of weeks so they can't deliver the ruddy things... lol

Bix, getting off marketing lists won't work for flyers, "walkers " post flyers from all the various shops such as supermarkets etc to all of the houses on their drive route - this is the junk mail most people get everyday, nothing to do with being on any marketing lists.

Funny when you think about it , the same shops who sell recyclable cloth shopping bags for you to use instead of plastic carrier bags are the worst culprits of all this junk mail flyer rubbish. It's contradictory.

They have a cheek talking about recycling in this country with the amount of junk they make . Recycling plants for paper etc use hell of a lot of energy, it's not green and it's not ideal - the greenest way is less junk in the first place and less packaging on things ( computer and software companies are the worst for this - massive box and a tiny cd in it - it's ridiculous) etc.

does Nimbin get any junk mail? lol

Last edited by Ceri; Sep 6th 2005 at 12:04 pm.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 1:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

How sads this Aussie mate who works in coles put us onto this they buy so much this way their garage is like a storeroom.

I used to chuck all the junk mail away but now I sort out the 2 food catalogues, the bas!ards can charge what they like with no competion so I have to get my own back, take vegemite $10.84 a jar :scared: this week its only $8.00 in coles, so we buy about 6 months supply, listerine toothpaste is around the $5.00 a tube recently it was on special $2.99 we bought 10, favourite biscuits, 99c down from $2.40 , just dont buy anything that will go into melt down come summer
Old Sep 6th 2005, 7:05 pm
Just Joined

Miked is a jewel in the roughMiked is a jewel in the roughMiked is a jewel in the roughMiked is a jewel in the rough

Today was a pretty good day for junk mail. we only received a "Lose weight now" type leaflet and an envelope containing special offers including the chance to work from home and somebody offering to sharpen any knives mower blades etc I might have in need of sharpening, they both hit the recycle bin within seconds of leaving the post box.

Bix, I just filled in that email form, I don't hold out much hope because as ceri says these people drop off at every house, it is not a mailing list but it might save a tree or two per year, worth a try.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

Yep....point taken.....but every little helps I guess
Old Sep 6th 2005, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Miked
Is it just a local thing here in Brisbane or do you all get hammered with junk mail all over Australia?

I am at home this week and have spent the last few days working on my online business meaning I am on the computer for 16hrs a day tapping away at the keys and staring through the window for inspiration.

The "Junk mail" man has just passed our house on his little chicken chaser motorbike for the THIRD time dropping off more special offer fliers for the likes of Coles, Target, Crazy Clark's and Lidl. There must be a forest somewhere that is being depleted at an alarming rate just to keep up this junk mail phenomenon.

It is a bit disturbing that the post man has not been yet and it is now 14:00 but the junk mail guy has made his third delivery of the day! :scared:

Don't knock the "junk". I'm gonna fund my move with the 45 credit card offers and 16 loan applications I've got here. Whooorhoooo!!!

Flash.