Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

No of Incomes in your household?

Wikiposts
View Poll Results: How many Incomes are there in your household?
I'm single and live by myself (no kids) so there's only one income
0.83%
I'm single and live by myself (I have kids) so there's only one income
0.83%
Married or with a partner (no kids) we both work F/T the income split is roughly 50/50
9.09%
Married or with a partner (no kids) we both work F/T the income split is more like 75/25
4.96%
Married or with a partner (no kids) one of us works F/T the other part time
1.65%
Married or with a partner (no kids) and only one of us works
3.31%
Married or with a partner (with kids) we both work F/T the income split is roughly 50/50
11.57%
Married or with a partner (with kids) we both work F/T the income split is more like 75/25
7.44%
Married or with a partner (with kids) one of us works F/T the other part time
22.31%
Married or with a partner (with kids) and only one of us works
38.02%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

No of Incomes in your household?

Old Oct 23rd 2007, 8:40 pm
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No of Incomes in your household?

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Our option isn't there. The one I chose was 25/75 split for income, but it's more 60/40 for us. Actually, it's exactly 60/40.

As for the cleaner, I married mine. I happen to have a husband who likes a clean house and doesn't mind doing the work.
Personally id of gone with the "...roughly 50/50 split" but no dramas with what you've done.
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 8:43 pm
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clara W
I am the one answer for single income with kids! But actually for the last 8 years I worked both part time (2 jobs for 5 of these 8 years) and full time therefore had at one time had three incomes! BUT you didn't put a box for that?

When (not if) I get the WA I hope just to have one job and more time with my daughter!
I hope you do to, sounds like you've done more than your share already
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
We do have a cleaner in once a week.
My wife doesn't work and she has a cleaner - something's not right there is it!
Must admit, we have a cleaner in too and I don't work (I did when we hired her, but now at uni which kind of counts!!). I justified keeping her on because she does a great job, needs the dough and I'm a lazy cow!
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 11:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
We have one income in our house. We had 2 in England. Our income in the UK, although good, was not enough for us as our outgoings were huge. Here Mr NB earns more and our outgoings are less which enables me to stay home until my youngest is a little older.
Looks like despite the cost of living that many people still nonetheless get away with a single income household!

If Chief went back to work we'd actually start to accrue large surpluses - guaranteed yearly flights overseas - choice of luxuries or a brand new car - that sort of thing.
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 11:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabsody
Must admit, we have a cleaner in too and I don't work (I did when we hired her, but now at uni which kind of counts!!). I justified keeping her on because she does a great job, needs the dough and I'm a lazy cow!
We don't have a cleaner, but we do have an old pensioner gardener(!) My wife has 2 babies so he does come in handy. He's done some DIY work outside which might not otherwise have got done in a timely fashion so has been useful. He charges 20 bucks an hour.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 1:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Looks like despite the cost of living that many people still nonetheless get away with a single income household!

If Chief went back to work we'd actually start to accrue large surpluses - guaranteed yearly flights overseas - choice of luxuries or a brand new car - that sort of thing.

Hmmm I dont know how they do it, I owe less than 400 bucks per month now, We are clearing net between 6,500 and 8,000 a month depending on Otime available. We've had horrendous out of pocket medical expenses since we came back from our UK holiday 30 months ago( kids dental) . The Medical expenses are still going because the wife is going to get contact lenses implanted at circa 4,000 Aud. (not sure what the rebate will be) I'm in line to get mine done as well, but it will mean no more glasses at 800 bucks per pop. Oh and the wife needs to have extensive work done on her teeth as well.

Only luxury we have, errm besides foxtel, is a Gardener, who is slowly turning our gaffe into an oasis at circa 100 bucks per week on average (comes and does a major project every few weeks)

Maybe our spending on kids extra actvities is out of control.

I'd guesstimate, with schooling included, the kids are costing circa 10,000 a year out of pocket, about 4,000 maybe 6,000 for school with the uniforms, the rest on Violin, singing lessons, Drumming lessons, Netball, excursions, football. I had to pay 100 bucks for an accompanist for a Violin exam my daughter had this month, one 50 bucks for practice and one for the exam itself.... Stuff like that is eating my expenditure alive... Turns out the Wife has the Royal college of art in mind for our 13 YO. Oh the wife and Daughter have gym membership as well.

There is also a financial hole with government rebate for people with families between say 66,000 Aud and around 102,000 now, where the tax rate really burns one, in lost rebates for the children.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 4:03 am
Forum Regular

allthejs is a name known to allallthejs is a name known to allallthejs is a name known to allallthejs is a name known to allallthejs is a name known to allallthejs is a name known to allallthejs is a name known to allallthejs is a name known to allallthejs is a name known to allallthejs is a name known to allallthejs is a name known to all

One income, five kids, no cleaner and no gardner.

And hubby wonders what I do all day

Jacky xx
Old Oct 24th 2007, 3:59 pm
Living in Perthection

Some interesting stats coming out of this, I thought the no kids one income would be high but didnt think it would be to that level.
Its a shame you cant do sub polls, to drill down a bit deeper...

Interesting that with the general consensus being that Australia is not a cheap place to live, that cost of living is high and seems set to continue that way that there are so many households surviving with one income.

Id imagine on here we're talking about kids anything from say 0-16yrs, I wonder if we looked at households where kids were born in the last couple of years through to 9months time if we'd see more instances of dual household income...
Old Oct 24th 2007, 4:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

on a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by steve99
Some interesting stats coming out of this, I thought the no kids one income would be high but didnt think it would be to that level.

Interesting that with the general consensus being that Australia is not a cheap place to live, that cost of living is high and seems set to continue that way that there are so many households surviving with one income.

Id imagine on here we're talking about kids anything from say 0-16yrs, I wonder if we looked at households where kids were born in the last couple of years through to 9months time if we'd see more instances of dual household income...
I think any modern day couple now needs a dual income, through house prices, the goldenage, has disappeared for anyon under 35, we are the working generation keeping the golden ages pensions nice and rosie.

Also we are the generation who have contributed the most to the econmoy by buying overpriced houses, giving the cash to stamp duty/council taxes and our dear friends the banks....with super high interest rates.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 4:11 pm
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

You know how to scare the shit out of us who maybe planning on a family (maybe next year). The missus will have to pop it out and be back at the desk the next day!

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Maybe our spending on kids extra actvities is out of control.

I'd guesstimate, with schooling included, the kids are costing circa 10,000 a year out of pocket, about 4,000 maybe 6,000 for school with the uniforms, the rest on Violin, singing lessons, Drumming lessons, Netball, excursions, football. I had to pay 100 bucks for an accompanist for a Violin exam my daughter had this month, one 50 bucks for practice and one for the exam itself.... Stuff like that is eating my expenditure alive... Turns out the Wife has the Royal college of art in mind for our 13 YO. Oh the wife and Daughter have gym membership as well.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 4:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

on a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by TrickyTree
You know how to scare the shit out of us who maybe planning on a family (maybe next year). The missus will have to pop it out and be back at the desk the next day!
wow, bet his kids are like a one man band singing in the high street!!!!!!1with all them classes, do they have time to sleep
Old Oct 24th 2007, 4:20 pm
Living in Perthection

Originally Posted by TrickyTree
Absolutely! Grandparents could come in very handy
At least employers do seem to be more accomodating these days with doing part time, or 4 day weeks etc.
If your pre kids with 2 fairly good incomes your likely to of built a lifestyle around you that probably cant be supported by just one of the incomes if you decide to pop one out. So the only alternatives are to try and downsize in some way to free up equity and reduce mortgage costs or have as small a time of work as possible before going back in some capacity.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 4:46 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by steve99
Perhaps you could start a separate thread. Maybe to see what incomes there are from the married with kids and only one income category, anonymous of course.

But it would be interesting to see if this group is managing because they have a high salary, lower expenses or just simply doing without all the extras and toys.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 5:00 pm
Account Closed

crystal23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by comet555
Perhaps you could start a separate thread. Maybe to see what incomes there are from the married with kids and only one income category, anonymous of course.

But it would be interesting to see if this group is managing because they have a high salary, lower expenses or just simply doing without all the extras and toys.

I voted one income with kids (1 child). Hubby earns what is considered a good salary for Perth as a subbie. However it isn't enough to support us totally even doing without extras and we certainly have no 'toys'. We are using our equity from our house sale in the UK to top up at the moment.

Rent is slightly higher than we would have liked but there was nothing else available at the time. Had a letter this morning saying the rent is going up by $80 pw from January

Part time jobs are thin on the ground for people who want school hours and the agencies have told me the market is saturated by mums wanting this type of work.

The rise in the cost of food in the last 6 months was something we did not expect but admittedly that has caught alot of people out not just us.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 5:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by on a mission
wow, bet his kids are like a one man band singing in the high street!!!!!!1with all them classes, do they have time to sleep
The 13 Yo is in a High Achievers class, means she is doing 11 subjects over a year rather than 6. She is a real powerhouse when it comes to Music, a Natural. My son is rather laid back about the whole thing. We've learned from our older two, to spend money on their strengths.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.