Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

No house to sell - going in July 06 - How much money will we need to get started?

No house to sell - going in July 06 - How much money will we need to get started?

Old Jan 8th 2006, 9:57 am

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default No house to sell - going in July 06 - How much money will we need to get started?

Yeah, I know.....how long is a piece of string!!

Right, we have no house to sell = hence we are saving like mad to emigrate! That is the only factor stopping us from hopping on a flight this afternoon!

We have (obviously) done our sums and have a good idea of the amount we would need. This would cover flights, rentals, all utility bills, cars etc....for the first couple of months (in case we cant find work instantaneously).

It would be good to hear others opinions and also from people that have done a similar thing, ie: going with the shirts on their backs and very little cash! How did you cope, how much did you take?

There are two of us, no kids, none planned, and are heading for Perth!

TIA
Old Jan 8th 2006, 10:04 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: No house to sell - going in July 06 - How much money will we need to get started?

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer

Right, we have no house to sell = hence we are saving like mad to emigrate! That is the only factor stopping us from hopping on a flight this afternoon!

We have (obviously) done our sums and have a good idea of the amount we would need. This would cover flights, rentals, all utility bills, cars etc....for the first couple of months (in case we cant find work instantaneously).

It would be good to hear others opinions and also from people that have done a similar thing, ie: going with the shirts on their backs and very little cash! How did you cope, how much did you take?

TIA
taking about £300,000
Old Jan 8th 2006, 10:05 am

Default Re: No house to sell - going in July 06 - How much money will we need to get started?

Originally Posted by possoms
taking about £300,000
Errr, yeah, thanx for that!!

Really helpful!!
Old Jan 8th 2006, 10:05 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

TIA
What jobs are you both in Fluffy? This might help predict job finding timescales too hence understand how much you might need to keep you going
Old Jan 8th 2006, 10:06 am

Errr, yeah, thanx for that!!

Really helpful!!
what you asked how much people were taking???
Old Jan 8th 2006, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz
What jobs are you both in Fluffy? This might help predict job finding timescales too hence understand how much you might need to keep you going
I'm a lorry driver so shouldnt have too much trouble....er indoors works in community support type work, so may take longer, but prepared to do anything initially!!
Old Jan 8th 2006, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by possoms
what you asked how much people were taking???
I specifically asked for 'people in a similar situation'...........

Is this a poorly disguised attempt at winding me up?

If so, please save your finger muscles for more worthwhile posting!
Old Jan 8th 2006, 10:16 am

I specifically asked for 'people in a similar situation'...........

Is this a poorly disguised attempt at winding me up?

If so, please save your finger muscles for more worthwhile posting!
Happy New Year Rob
Old Jan 8th 2006, 10:21 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm a lorry driver so shouldnt have too much trouble....er indoors works in community support type work, so may take longer, but prepared to do anything initially!!
Do you need special licences here to lorry drive? Reason I ask is cos apparently you need a licience for almost anything and you'd need to factor this into your job finding timescalses hence money required.

As for your question, Im not sure about Perth costs etc...but this might give you an idea ;-

1. Rent for 6 months [give yourself 6 months inc one months upfront bond]

2. Electric = $50 month

3. Food [x 2 adults] $150 week / $600+ month

4. Mobile phone = $50 month [expensive while finding work]

5. Transport [public] not sure / based on Perth

6. Money for dentist / Doctor if required

7. Money to go out for a treat [or else you'll get cabin fever]

Not sure what else you'd need but beware it might take you longer to find work than you realise, especially since most work her is found via Recruitment Agencies, so timescales re them AND the organisations themselves can be long and drawn out.

Good luck
Old Jan 8th 2006, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz
Do you need special licences here to lorry drive? Reason I ask is cos apparently you need a licience for almost anything and you'd need to factor this into your job finding timescalses hence money required.

As for your question, Im not sure about Perth costs etc...but this might give you an idea ;-

1. Rent for 6 months [give yourself 6 months inc one months upfront bond]

2. Electric = $50 month

3. Food [x 2 adults] $150 week / $600+ month

4. Mobile phone = $50 month [expensive while finding work]

5. Transport [public] not sure / based on Perth

6. Money for dentist / Doctor if required

7. Money to go out for a treat [or else you'll get cabin fever]

Not sure what else you'd need but beware it might take you longer to find work than you realise, especially since most work her is found via Recruitment Agencies, so timescales re them AND the organisations themselves can be long and drawn out.

Good luck

Phoenix, thanx!
Not too worried about the licensing side of things.......simple oral test to convert HGV in WA! That coupled with the apparent shortage of drivers (according to the countless vacancies I have seen and speaking to other drivers in WA) should mean I will be in work fairly swiftly - I am a proactive go-getter type of person as is the other half, so no worries there!

We have also budgeted including everything you mentioned above - would be nice to hear from others that have undertaken something similar or are about to do same......
Old Jan 8th 2006, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

We weren't in the same boat as you as we had two whippersnappers but thought I'd put my twopenneth in anyway....

YOU LAND:

1 months rent upfront - depends on your location but $300 a week should be adequate - You could go for far less though, so $1200 for the month

Bond for rental - 1 month - so another $1200.

Car hire for 1 month (MAX) - $45 a day is roughly $1260, minus the discount they give you for longer hire.

Fuel for car - my tank is $55 and it lasts me a week, so lets go mad and add another 1/2 a tank per week for home hunting / job hunting / having fun and thats $330 for the month.

Food - say $20 a day if you are self catering plus meals out if you are feeling flush - say $960 for the month - 1st month in OZ and all that...

Beer and wine - do not underestimate - yep, we're on a budget but we've also just landed in a new country... lets say another $300 for the month.

Bills - phone / electric / internet maybe (probably not 'cos you've just landed but we'll include it anyway) so lets say around $150.

Cheap 'phone card - I use 'OZCALL' - a $30 voucher is heaps.

OK, thats covered the basics. You've got a home, a car, food, beer, paid the bills and called the rellies.

Registering with ATO / MEDICARE / doctors / dentists = nothing

Getting your Aussie driving licence - a couple of hundred dollars.

The rest is down to you. Do you have to get any sort of licensing for your job? If so, add $$$

You will probably need to buy furniture as most rentals (apart from holiday lets) are unfurnished, or if you are shipping yours over... Furniture can be bought cheapo though - scour newspapers / garage sales / Super 'A' mart if necessary.

Then add another few $1000's if you can. Doctors / dentists / theft / unforseen stuff etc etc. Better to be prepared and if you don't have to spend it then, then it'll come in handy later.

All up I make it around $5630 (plus furniture and your extra $1000's for an emergency). Thats around 2500 pounds stirling in todays money, I reckon.

THEN...( it had to happen, didn't it...) times that by 6 - you could have trouble finding a job - one of you could get ill - you could be fine, have a job lined up and want to spend 5 months by the beach...

So all up: $33780, that's about 14680 in todays money (pounds stirling).

Hope this helps and good luck to you both.
Old Jan 8th 2006, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by steandleigh
We weren't in the same boat as you as we had two whippersnappers but thought I'd put my twopenneth in anyway....

YOU LAND:

1 months rent upfront - depends on your location but $300 a week should be adequate - You could go for far less though, so $1200 for the month

Bond for rental - 1 month - so another $1200.

Car hire for 1 month (MAX) - $45 a day is roughly $1260, minus the discount they give you for longer hire.

Fuel for car - my tank is $55 and it lasts me a week, so lets go mad and add another 1/2 a tank per week for home hunting / job hunting / having fun and thats $330 for the month.

Food - say $20 a day if you are self catering plus meals out if you are feeling flush - say $960 for the month - 1st month in OZ and all that...

Beer and wine - do not underestimate - yep, we're on a budget but we've also just landed in a new country... lets say another $300 for the month.

Bills - phone / electric / internet maybe (probably not 'cos you've just landed but we'll include it anyway) so lets say around $150.

Cheap 'phone card - I use 'OZCALL' - a $30 voucher is heaps.

OK, thats covered the basics. You've got a home, a car, food, beer, paid the bills and called the rellies.

Registering with ATO / MEDICARE / doctors / dentists = nothing

Getting your Aussie driving licence - a couple of hundred dollars.

The rest is down to you. Do you have to get any sort of licensing for your job? If so, add $$$

You will probably need to buy furniture as most rentals (apart from holiday lets) are unfurnished, or if you are shipping yours over... Furniture can be bought cheapo though - scour newspapers / garage sales / Super 'A' mart if necessary.

Then add another few $1000's if you can. Doctors / dentists / theft / unforseen stuff etc etc. Better to be prepared and if you don't have to spend it then, then it'll come in handy later.

All up I make it around $5630 (plus furniture and your extra $1000's for an emergency). Thats around 2500 pounds stirling in todays money, I reckon.

THEN...( it had to happen, didn't it...) times that by 6 - you could have trouble finding a job - one of you could get ill - you could be fine, have a job lined up and want to spend 5 months by the beach...

So all up: $33780, that's about 14680 in todays money (pounds stirling).

Hope this helps and good luck to you both.

Gulp! Anyone lend us £10K then?

Thanks for that guys.......we are gonna be going with MUCH less than that! Did speak to someone a while ago that went out there with two kids and about £6K....seemed they managed ok! Cant remember who it was though!
As you can see we like to fly by the seat of our pants! What's the worst that can happen
Anybody else done this.............?
Old Jan 8th 2006, 11:42 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that guys.......we are gonna be going with MUCH less than that! Did speak to someone a while ago that went out there with two kids and about £6K....seemed they managed ok! Cant remember who it was though!
As you can see we like to fly by the seat of our pants! What's the worst that can happen
Probably wholeworldwindow and family. It can be done but the more you can save before hand the better (obviously )
Old Jan 8th 2006, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Good for you and yours for taking a chance and for 'flying by the seat of your pants' - my estimation is based upon having 2 small kids aged 3 and 6 at the time and so all bases have to be covered.

When it's just the two of you, you can go for it and see what happens!!!!

I wish you all the best and have seen on this site a time or two over the years couples like yourselves doin' it on pennies very successfully.

Keep that beer budget low though!
Old Jan 8th 2006, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by steandleigh
Good for you and yours for taking a chance and for 'flying by the seat of your pants' - my estimation is based upon having 2 small kids aged 3 and 6 at the time and so all bases have to be covered.

When it's just the two of you, you can go for it and see what happens!!!!

I wish you all the best and have seen on this site a time or two over the years couples like yourselves doin' it on pennies very successfully.

Keep that beer budget low though!
Thanx Guys!!

Yeah, for sure it will be difficult, but there's always people a lot worse off! We'll manage somehow I'm sure!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.