Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

no house to sell!!

no house to sell!!

Old Mar 10th 2005, 9:39 am
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of
Default Re: no house to sell!!

I agree in kind with Go Bananas. Although there is the element of 'you have nothing to lose'.

I have a lot of admiration for you to tackle your issues and to try to better your (and your family's) lifestyle.

I'll repeat a statement I made on this site a few days ago and that is that none of us have a god-given right to go to Oz and expect everything to be better/cheaper, etc.

The big picture is that sooner or later, savings or not, we'll all have to revert back to a similar lifestyle of paying bills based on an Oz income with no £ savings to fall back on.

Granted it will be easier with those savings to start off, but as long as you work hard and make a fist of it, then go for it. Just bare in mind some of Go Banana's questions - there will be times when you may both be out of work and having to support yourselves.

Good luck anyway
Old Mar 10th 2005, 2:13 pm
Arrived Perth June 2006

Dawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: no house to sell!!

Hi Jill...thanks for your reply. yes ive thought all those things through and driven myself nuts! I worry alot more than my husband but before we go i hope to have paid the bond and deposit and hopefully have set up some interviews...I hope. I am skint at the moment but thats totally our own fault!!! short on cash but we do have a nice house, nice bits and pieices so not badly off like alot of people, however we wish our lives away for about 5 months of the year because it gets so dark early. My husband hates going to work in the dark and coming home in the dark. Were noway thinking perth is the golden city but we feel our lives and familys lives will benefit from the weather and out door living. Ive worried till im blue in the face, but like someone else said what have you got to loose? We can only try and see but if we dont we will never know. My husband Fabricates landrovers for a living so whatever needs to been done to our Landrover he can do...God im begining to convince myself now!!!

Whatever happens will as you said well be an adventure, and thanks for your honest thinking. So pleased I registered on this site because before this I was just worrying alone. we keep you posted.

Are you happy in Perth?

Originally Posted by Go Banana's !!
I'm sorry I'm going to sound like eatstatic now but how could your life in the UK be that bad that you want to upsticks and move across the world - with no savings:scared: and debt left in the UK? I couldn't do it - youv'e got guts.

These following questions I hope you have asked yourself. It is not my business to know the answers, but it's yours and I hope in your bravery you have considered the practicalities and that you have 4 mouths to feed.

Have you considered that the exchange rate changes and that each month the amount you pay back will vary ?

How are you going to support yourselves while looking for work ? On average it takes 3-6 months to find work.

You'll need to pay for driving licences, deposits on a rental and a bond, the list is quite long for stuff you don't realise.

You have a 3 year old daughter, what happens if she gets sick (I do hope not BTW) and needs a prescription , you have to pay over here and to see the doctor ? You can't join Medicare for 11 days and even then you only get a portion back. Then you have to think of possible vet bills !

You can tell we are Mr and Mrs Cautious !!!!!

What happens if you have customs charges ?

Your car may need to be converted in some way to comply with Australian Road Laws, you won't be able to get it taxed until this is checked out.

Jobs - have you done searches ? you say you believe they are easy to find ? how do you know?

Sorry but you could be alot worse than staying put, at least you have a roof over your and pressumably some family.

I sincerely wish you the very best of luck, but I agree you are quite mad. Australia isn't paradise. I don't see what you think it can offer you more than you have already.

At the end of the day it's none of my business, but I would love to hear updates cos it will be one hell of an adventure!

Best wishes
Jill
Old Mar 10th 2005, 6:41 pm
Merlot

Only you will know how it will go, something in your belly says you can do it.

Not everyone has the priviledges of a house sale or lots of savings behind them. I think you definitely should have a little to get you going if you have no family to stay with with having a wee one. As I have said in other threads, give me a rucksack and I will just go, more to life than possessions! But I have to ties but a hubby and cat.

I was speaking with a lady today who is 30 this year and has fought breast cancer. She was 3 days away from flying to Oz to live from the UK when she found the lump in her breast was cancerous. This of course killed all the plans for her and her boyfriend to move and will probably not happen now. It of course cost a lot £££ wise but the price of life and happiness.

She said she would give the shirt on her back to get there now, she said she had conquered cancer she can do anything. It made her realise to live for the moment and humbled me into the ground. Incredible lady with a fabulous attitude to living.

Merlot

Old Mar 10th 2005, 7:15 pm
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Go Banana's !!
I'm sorry I'm going to sound like eatstatic now but how could your life in the UK be that bad that you want to upsticks and move across the world - with no savings:scared: and debt left in the UK? I couldn't do it - youv'e got guts.

These following questions I hope you have asked yourself. It is not my business to know the answers, but it's yours and I hope in your bravery you have considered the practicalities and that you have 4 mouths to feed.

Have you considered that the exchange rate changes and that each month the amount you pay back will vary ?

How are you going to support yourselves while looking for work ? On average it takes 3-6 months to find work.

You'll need to pay for driving licences, deposits on a rental and a bond, the list is quite long for stuff you don't realise.

You have a 3 year old daughter, what happens if she gets sick (I do hope not BTW) and needs a prescription , you have to pay over here and to see the doctor ? You can't join Medicare for 11 days and even then you only get a portion back. Then you have to think of possible vet bills !

You can tell we are Mr and Mrs Cautious !!!!!

What happens if you have customs charges ?

Your car may need to be converted in some way to comply with Australian Road Laws, you won't be able to get it taxed until this is checked out.

Jobs - have you done searches ? you say you believe they are easy to find ? how do you know?

Sorry but you could be alot worse than staying put, at least you have a roof over your and pressumably some family.

I sincerely wish you the very best of luck, but I agree you are quite mad. Australia isn't paradise. I don't see what you think it can offer you more than you have already.

At the end of the day it's none of my business, but I would love to hear updates cos it will be one hell of an adventure!

Best wishes
Jill
Hi there, these are questions we have already asked ourselves and do have answers to, none that cause that big a problem. With regards to housing we have 3 families of relatives we can stay with, one of which lived with us for over a year rent free prior to him migrating who is more than willing to return the favour as he's now settled. Money to get the car on the road and customs duties are going to be raised by selling the stuff we're not taking with us, which is a hell of alot of stuff. As for work we have already accumulated a list of odd jobs that friends of our family are wanting doing, that they'll pay my husband to do. Myself, well there is a hair salon available in Dec for me to buy which my sis-in -law is funding to begin with. The owner of the salon currently has someone working for her full time but her visa runs out in July. We are hoping to be there in Aug, if we are then I have a full time job working at the shop which will become mine, if not it will just be a part-time job as the current owner wants to half her hours, unless the position isn't filled when I land. Which leaves my handyman of a hubby to sort out work who already makes money by making and selling on ebey so if it comes to it he'll have to continue til a job comes up.
There are alot of worries but nothing that can't be sorted, I think we have the determination to make it work and we have gone over every possible worst case scenario thinking of all the ifs and buts.
As for where we're living now, it is on a rough estate at a rough school that is constantly getting burgled so very rare do we get a good nights sleep. OK so my hubby could apply for another job but then we've got to move with no choice as to where we'll be housed as it'd be classed as priority so they can put us anywhere, private rented probably wouldn't be an option because of our pets. We want to get out, we love Oz, we have relatives over there who fill us in on stuff so we know the reality as they don't glorify the truth. Now we feel is the right time to go and if all else fails atleast we tried. We're 100% commited to this and even our daughter wants to go (cos she loves her uncle who used to live with us) so here goes us
Marie
Old Mar 10th 2005, 7:17 pm
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dawn
Hi Marie,
Thanks for your reply....it seemed strange reading it as my first name is Marie, we have a 4 year old handful of a daughter and a dog. Also the same as you, were going to get a container just to get car and few bit accross!! Funny hey!

Were just waiting on my 4 year olds passport to come back then sending form 47. just sent off for police checks to be done. madly selling stuff on Ebay at the mo to get the final 1500 fees then can log application. not one penny savings!!! scarey

Got to break news to inlaws yet who will be devastated but same as you if we dont go now we never will. Where are you hopeing to settle?

Dawn
Hi, God we've gotta lot in common!
I'm heading to Caloundra area on Sunshine Coast to relatives til we're settled, with relatives on Gold Coast to run away to if we need a change of scenery for a couple of days.
Marie
Old Mar 10th 2005, 7:28 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by 68MEVY
Hi there, these are questions we have already asked ourselves and do have answers to, none that cause that big a problem. With regards to housing we have 3 families of relatives we can stay with, one of which lived with us for over a year rent free prior to him migrating who is more than willing to return the favour as he's now settled. Money to get the car on the road and customs duties are going to be raised by selling the stuff we're not taking with us, which is a hell of alot of stuff. As for work we have already accumulated a list of odd jobs that friends of our family are wanting doing, that they'll pay my husband to do. Myself, well there is a hair salon available in Dec for me to buy which my sis-in -law is funding to begin with. The owner of the salon currently has someone working for her full time but her visa runs out in July. We are hoping to be there in Aug, if we are then I have a full time job working at the shop which will become mine, if not it will just be a part-time job as the current owner wants to half her hours, unless the position isn't filled when I land. Which leaves my handyman of a hubby to sort out work who already makes money by making and selling on ebey so if it comes to it he'll have to continue til a job comes up.
There are alot of worries but nothing that can't be sorted, I think we have the determination to make it work and we have gone over every possible worst case scenario thinking of all the ifs and buts.
As for where we're living now, it is on a rough estate at a rough school that is constantly getting burgled so very rare do we get a good nights sleep. OK so my hubby could apply for another job but then we've got to move with no choice as to where we'll be housed as it'd be classed as priority so they can put us anywhere, private rented probably wouldn't be an option because of our pets. We want to get out, we love Oz, we have relatives over there who fill us in on stuff so we know the reality as they don't glorify the truth. Now we feel is the right time to go and if all else fails atleast we tried. We're 100% commited to this and even our daughter wants to go (cos she loves her uncle who used to live with us) so here goes us
Marie
Best of luck Marie, as I said determination and the will to succeed is the only way to go.

I wish you the very best.

Merlot

Old Mar 13th 2005, 10:15 pm

chatty34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dawn
Hi Guys, reading through the message board and im get extremely concerned!!!! my husband and I are hope to get the ok for our visas and just going to up and go for it, we currently have a council house which we hope to buy and rent out, however if this dosnt happen were still going. We totally mad im sure cause we havent got any savings yet...was just going to sell everything, arrange to rent and hopefully my husband wont find if hard to get a job, hes a car mechanic which is on the wanted list. tell me ARE WE MAD??? I cant stop worrying. cheers then
Dawn
Another thing to mention is that if you intend to buy a property in Oz and you are on a PR you should be able to get a first time home buyers grant which is around $7,000 in Qld I think.

Sharon.
ps, not made just brave
Old Mar 13th 2005, 11:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

gdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to all

Hi Dawn

just wanted to add - you will be taxed in Oz on the rent received for any property let in the UK (it would be classed as income) and there might be a problem if it isn't constantly tenanted, as the mortgage would still need to be paid!