Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Nice Pubs in Brisbane and surrounding area???

Nice Pubs in Brisbane and surrounding area???

Old Apr 18th 2006, 1:52 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Nice Pubs in Brisbane and surrounding area???

OK we are after nice Pubs in Brisbane and surrounding area which serve nice beer or nice food with beer?

Here is my list for starters...

Montville up in the hills, the Penny Farthing does live music on a Sunday afternoon and sells some UK beers including Newcastle Brown Ale out of a pump...that's just wrong doesn't taste right. Have been very nice. You can pick your steak buy it then cook yourself on bbq in beer garden or they do it for you.

Dayboro Hotel nice pint, nice food rustic nowt flash pub... like it.

Samford pub/hotel... posher than Dayboro and do nice steaks pick it and they cook it. Nice pub and eating area nice beer it's in the top 10 at the moment.

Not quite a pub but very nice Restaurant and serves beer and very good food... Picnics at the rocks on the Yandina - Coolum Road it's on a bend with big sign board on road side then you need to go up track... but it's worth it. They do lunch every day from 11.30 Dinner Fri and Sat from 6pm and Sunset Happy Hours Thur to Sat.

The Belvedere at Woody Point near hornibrook bridge nice pub plus cracking steak bar and also very good eat as much as you want buffet. WE ARE HAVING MEET THERE ON THE 6TH OF MAY AT 2PM IF YOU WANT TO COME... .

Gilhooleys Irish Pub & Restaurant - Westfield Chermside Shopping Centre
nice pub but they lose points for not letting you wear shorts or thongs after 9pm and kicking the 15 yr old out at 10pm, apparently they are building new one at Strathpine.

Mick O'Mally's irish pub down some stairs just inside the Wintergarden Centre Queen Street Mall in Brisbane, nice beer reasonable food.

Canugra Hotel I think it's called at Canugra near Mt Tamborine and if you are up that way the http://www.canungravineyards.com.au/...s_FromBrisbane has nice food and wine and can have picnic in grounds if you phone day before so they can get basket ready.

Mapelton the The Mapleton Tavern www.mapletontavern.com.au
was recommended by Cresta 57 but when we tried to go Good Friday all pubs shut so didn't get chance to try.

The Landsbourgh pub has also been recommended but haven't had chance to try that yet.

The Spotted Cow Hotel at Toowomba was recommended on TV programme at weekend for doing Aus, Foreign and English beers, it's on the list to try.

That's it for now or will start to sound like an alcoholic... .

Last edited by annqldau; Apr 18th 2006 at 2:10 pm.
Old Apr 18th 2006, 5:12 pm
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nice Pubs in Brisbane and surrounding area???

Breakfast Creek Hotel at Kingsford Smith Drive is a must for good beer and excellent food. Again you pick your meat and they shout you when it's ready to go on the barbie. It's the only pub left that Castlemaine Perkins still supply in wooden casks everybody else gets their beer in metal kegs.

Another good Irish pub is the Sacred Heart in Springfield but I can't remember
the name of the road.

Ettamogah pub is a must near the Aussie World theme park on the Sunshine
Coast. If you go there the pie shop just outside sells the best Ned Kelly's in Oz (so says my hubbie!!!!!!!!).

All this talk of pubs is making me thirsty

Loz x
Old Apr 18th 2006, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by loz
Breakfast Creek Hotel at Kingsford Smith Drive is a must for good beer and excellent food. Again you pick your meat and they shout you when it's ready to go on the barbie. It's the only pub left that Castlemaine Perkins still supply in wooden casks everybody else gets their beer in metal kegs.

Another good Irish pub is the Sacred Heart in Springfield but I can't remember
the name of the road.

Ettamogah pub is a must near the Aussie World theme park on the Sunshine
Coast. If you go there the pie shop just outside sells the best Ned Kelly's in Oz (so says my hubbie!!!!!!!!).

All this talk of pubs is making me thirsty

Loz x
Been to Ettamogah pub but not the rest and strangely enough did like the pie shop just down the street...we lead a healthy life... .
Old Apr 18th 2006, 9:22 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

If I get dragged kicking and screaming down to the Sunshite Plaza at Maroochydore. I usually end up separated from the wife and son, having wandered off or become distracted by the fishing tackle. I always seem to end up sitting by the river at the Pig & Whistle. Good food and usually good U.K ales on tap.
By the time the search parties find me I've usually managed a pint of Old Speckled Hen and a swift Ruddles or similar. They also have the better class of Aussie beers on tap, Squires, Coopers and Boags.
Old Apr 18th 2006, 11:16 pm
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

[QUOTE=annqldau]The Spotted Cow Hotel at Toowomba was recommended on TV programme at weekend for doing Aus, Foreign and English beers, it's on the list to try.QUOTE]

this place is the only good thing about toowoomba, even if their hoegaarden pots cost $6.50!!!! although at 130km from brisbane, it's a long way to go for a drink!
Old Apr 19th 2006, 1:01 am
Forum Regular

wmckellar will become famous soon enough

We had our first night out in the city on Sat night and it was not too impressive to be honest. Any idea from you guys where to go for a nice meal then a few bears on a sat night. Also where to go if you want to do like a pub crawl or something????

Speak soon

Will
Old Apr 19th 2006, 3:08 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

avoid the city, and go to the valley

Originally Posted by wmckellar
We had our first night out in the city on Sat night and it was not too impressive to be honest. Any idea from you guys where to go for a nice meal then a few bears on a sat night. Also where to go if you want to do like a pub crawl or something????

Speak soon

Will
Old Apr 19th 2006, 3:50 am
Forum Regular

There are only a few pubs in the valley too though . . . i used to go out a lot in Glasgow and there are probs a couple of hundred bars you can go to . . . is the Valley the closest thing to that . . 6 bars on 1 street . . .
Old Apr 19th 2006, 4:07 am
Feathered Member

Budgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by annqldau
OK we are after nice Pubs in Brisbane and surrounding area which serve nice beer or nice food with beer?

Here is my list for starters...

Montville up in the hills, the Penny Farthing does live music on a Sunday afternoon and sells some UK beers including Newcastle Brown Ale out of a pump...that's just wrong doesn't taste right. Have been very nice. You can pick your steak buy it then cook yourself on bbq in beer garden or they do it for you.

Dayboro Hotel nice pint, nice food rustic nowt flash pub... like it.

Samford pub/hotel... posher than Dayboro and do nice steaks pick it and they cook it. Nice pub and eating area nice beer it's in the top 10 at the moment.

Not quite a pub but very nice Restaurant and serves beer and very good food... Picnics at the rocks on the Yandina - Coolum Road it's on a bend with big sign board on road side then you need to go up track... but it's worth it. They do lunch every day from 11.30 Dinner Fri and Sat from 6pm and Sunset Happy Hours Thur to Sat.

The Belvedere at Woody Point near hornibrook bridge nice pub plus cracking steak bar and also very good eat as much as you want buffet. WE ARE HAVING MEET THERE ON THE 6TH OF MAY AT 2PM IF YOU WANT TO COME... .

Gilhooleys Irish Pub & Restaurant - Westfield Chermside Shopping Centre
nice pub but they lose points for not letting you wear shorts or thongs after 9pm and kicking the 15 yr old out at 10pm, apparently they are building new one at Strathpine.

Mick O'Mally's irish pub down some stairs just inside the Wintergarden Centre Queen Street Mall in Brisbane, nice beer reasonable food.

Canugra Hotel I think it's called at Canugra near Mt Tamborine and if you are up that way the http://www.canungravineyards.com.au/...s_FromBrisbane has nice food and wine and can have picnic in grounds if you phone day before so they can get basket ready.

Mapelton the The Mapleton Tavern www.mapletontavern.com.au
was recommended by Cresta 57 but when we tried to go Good Friday all pubs shut so didn't get chance to try.

The Landsbourgh pub has also been recommended but haven't had chance to try that yet.

The Spotted Cow Hotel at Toowomba was recommended on TV programme at weekend for doing Aus, Foreign and English beers, it's on the list to try.

That's it for now or will start to sound like an alcoholic... .

There's a few good ones in Brisbane.

The Belgian Beer bar on Edward Street Brisbane. Great selection of beers, and nice beer garden. The food is nothing out of the ordinary, though.

Also good is the St Arnou Cafe at the Eagle Street Pier. You can sit outside on the balcony and enjoy a great view with some pretty good beer!

Plus of course the Regatta is good as well on the river.

Wouldn't bother making a special trip to the Landsborough pub. It's probably the best pub in the area, but that's not saying much! Would only be your thing if you liked sport, the TAB and hairy people in plaid shirts (and that's just the women). It's quite an old building, though, and an interesting story about it is that it got moved from Beerwah to Landsborough about 80 years ago, which took 3 months and they were open the entire time they were moving it!
Old Apr 19th 2006, 4:44 am
Drunken Aussie

you won't get anything like that here. there are way more than 6 pubs/bars, i can count around 20 or so from memory (and i don't usually remember much when i get down there. in fact i've come up with around 27:

(not in any order)

royal george
elephant and wheelbarrow
the troubadour
rics
mangos
sunbar
the bowery
the rev
press club
the empire hotel
bar soma
gpo hotel
fringe bar
belushis
dooleys
crubar
glass
birdee num num
no 12 (changed it's name, but around the corner by the family nightclub)
manfreds
trinity bar
jubilee hotel
squeeze on brunswick
the shamrock hotel
d........ (i can't for the life of me remember the name, dulaks or something, but it's next door to rics).
the wickham hotel (the valleys gay pub)

and slightly further afield (within 5 mins walk):

the waterloo hotel
the queens arms
the brunswick hotel

so there is almost 30 pubs/bars in the valley for you.....

There are only a few pubs in the valley too though . . . i used to go out a lot in Glasgow and there are probs a couple of hundred bars you can go to . . . is the Valley the closest thing to that . . 6 bars on 1 street . . .
Old Apr 19th 2006, 5:19 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Nice Pubs in Brisbane and surrounding area???

Brisnick,

Think we will need to meet up mate and you can give me the tour of the Valley, i must be missing something . . . send me a PM and we will sort something out if you are up for it.
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 11:09 am

Any more nice ones up the sunshine coast?

Old Apr 23rd 2006, 11:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annqldau
Any more nice ones up the sunshine coast?

Wish i could join you lot on pub tour ages since i have done one.
Mandy
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by geordie mandy
Wish i could join you lot on pub tour ages since i have done one.
Mandy
You will do one day... .
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 11:41 pm
Drunken Aussie

i'll get back to you. busy at the moment moving house, but should be available in 3 weekends time or so.

Brisnick,

Think we will need to meet up mate and you can give me the tour of the Valley, i must be missing something . . . send me a PM and we will sort something out if you are up for it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.