Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

NICE PLACES ON THE GOLD COAST...WHY???

NICE PLACES ON THE GOLD COAST...WHY???

Old Mar 26th 2009, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

LINZI32 is on a distinguished road
Default NICE PLACES ON THE GOLD COAST...WHY???

Hi

Me and my family have decided when our visa eventually comes thru we would like to live on the Gold Coast but not sure where? I have a boy who is 4 and a boy who is 5 months. I want to be near a good school and probably no more than half hour to the beach, parks etc....(if the children are happy then i am too).

Would be grateful for peoples advice and help, all much appriecated.

Thanks for taking time to reply,

Lindsey
Old Mar 26th 2009, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

SunnyMD will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: NICE PLACES ON THE GOLD COAST...WHY???

Originally Posted by LINZI32
Hi

Me and my family have decided when our visa eventually comes thru we would like to live on the Gold Coast but not sure where? I have a boy who is 4 and a boy who is 5 months. I want to be near a good school and probably no more than half hour to the beach, parks etc....(if the children are happy then i am too).

Lindsey
Hi Lindsey

We are based on the Gold Coast and absolutely love it, however, it is very difficult for anybody to advise you on where you should go ... there are so many variables to consider.

My son (14yo) changed school this year as we were very disappointed with his last school, but many others here are more than happy with the same school so no help there

Parks ? all over the place, literally

Beach - everywhere on the Gold Coast is around 20-30 mins from some part of the coast ... we are "all the way out in the hinterland" - it's classed as being "in the sticks" (as in "OMG you live all the way out there") ... the reality is that it is 10mins inland from the motorway and another 10mins to the beach. We came over on a reccie and had a good nosey around. When we saw Mudgeeraba and Bonogin we fell in love and stopped looking

You also, obviously, need to consider employment and where the work is

Sorry not to have been any more helpful, but if you want any more info please feel free to pm

Good luck
Old Mar 27th 2009, 12:21 am
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NICE PLACES ON THE GOLD COAST...WHY???

Helensvale. We love it. Slightly older housing, nicely laid out with a bit more space. Good schools, close to theme parks and everything you would need, good shopping centre, I could go on.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 1:28 am
Forum Regular

skinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really nice

We`ve been in Ormeau 40km south of Brisbane and according to the map `Gold Coast` is about 500yds away. If price is an issue Gold coast will cost You more than some other areas, the beaches are only 1/2 an hour away from Us and We often drive down to Currumbin to avoid traffic. We have found it convenient to have Brizzy so close aswell for job interviews etc, plus the South bank is a nice day out. And the school here is pretty good, Due to money We needed a state school but beware the new Coomera school had a reputation and it was a factor in where We wanted to rent.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 3:23 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LINZI32
Hi

Lindsey
If money is no object then Hope island !
Old Mar 27th 2009, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for your replies, i will have a look after when the sprog has gone to bed, its very hard deciding were to start!!

Have any of you seen or know about, Pacific Pines, Burleigh Heads, Burleigh Waters, Redcliffe???

Thanks Again....
Old Mar 27th 2009, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

Sparky Making will become famous soon enoughSparky Making will become famous soon enough

Hi we are in exactly the same position unsure where to go. We did stay in Hope Island when we stayed with friends 2 years ago and loved it there.

Like the look of Robina as well so would be interested in comments on Robina, but also looking at some of those you mentioned - please be honest! Waiting for VISA and just started looking at locations.

Thanks Jo
Old Mar 27th 2009, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

Yeh all places and comment appreciated.....this is nervous as it is. If i didnt have kids it wouldnt be a problem, but i dont want to be moving from town to town and unsettling the children. One of my boys has a stammer and any changes will upset him even more so just with the move is bad enough without starting a new school, no family and friends etc !!
Old Mar 27th 2009, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really nice

Originally Posted by SunnyMD
Hi Lindsey

We are based on the Gold Coast and absolutely love it, however, it is very difficult for anybody to advise you on where you should go ... there are so many variables to consider.

My son (14yo) changed school this year as we were very disappointed with his last school, but many others here are more than happy with the same school so no help there

Parks ? all over the place, literally

Beach - everywhere on the Gold Coast is around 20-30 mins from some part of the coast ... we are "all the way out in the hinterland" - it's classed as being "in the sticks" (as in "OMG you live all the way out there") ... the reality is that it is 10mins inland from the motorway and another 10mins to the beach. We came over on a reccie and had a good nosey around. When we saw Mudgeeraba and Bonogin we fell in love and stopped looking

You also, obviously, need to consider employment and where the work is

Sorry not to have been any more helpful, but if you want any more info please feel free to pm

Good luck
SunnyD - we are 3.5 weeks away from moving to the Gold Coast (having never been to Aus before) and have decided on Mudgeeraba and Bonogin area primarily trhough internet reserach (extensive) and personal recommendations from friends.
Can I ask where your kids went to school - both GOOD and BAD experience? This will be a key factor for us and we have little time to make the decision as I want to get our 6 year old into grade One as soon as we arrive (and we need a rental in order to do that !)
We decided via internet again, that Varsity College and Merrimac SS were our two short listed choices.....with Merrimac slightly ahead on the list at this point purely becuase of the properties being larger in size than the Varsity Lakes area....
Any advice / comments on schools?

THANKS!
Nicky
Old Mar 27th 2009, 9:40 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nix and Mike
SunnyD - we are 3.5 weeks away from moving to the Gold Coast (having never been to Aus before) and have decided on Mudgeeraba and Bonogin area primarily trhough internet reserach (extensive) and personal recommendations from friends.
Can I ask where your kids went to school - both GOOD and BAD experience? This will be a key factor for us and we have little time to make the decision as I want to get our 6 year old into grade One as soon as we arrive (and we need a rental in order to do that !)
We decided via internet again, that Varsity College and Merrimac SS were our two short listed choices.....with Merrimac slightly ahead on the list at this point purely becuase of the properties being larger in size than the Varsity Lakes area....

THANKS!
Nicky
varsity isa bloody good school we rented in varsity for 7 months to secure a place for our daughter we are now on acreage in worongary just the other side of the M1 between mudgeeraba and gilston
for my money almost anywhere this side of the M1 is better
Old Mar 27th 2009, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

SunnyMD will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: NICE PLACES ON THE GOLD COAST...WHY???

Originally Posted by steve`o
varsity isa bloody good school we rented in varsity for 7 months to secure a place for our daughter we are now on acreage in worongary just the other side of the M1 between mudgeeraba and gilston
for my money almost anywhere this side of the M1 is better
This is exactly what I was trying to say ... my son really struggled at Varsity and we found the teaching style didn't suit him, 1 teacher in particular (who I won't name, but who featured prominently in his school timetable) was unreliable, immature, unhelpful and basically a complete waste of space. DS is now at Hillcrest, we will be paying around $6,000p.a. and he is doing much better already.

It all comes down to the individual child - I know of children (as steve'o above says) who are doing fantastically at Varsity and the Rich Task style obviously suits more motivated students - nobody could ever describe my DS as motivated at school

Originally Posted by Nix and Mike

THANKS!
Nicky
Hi Nicky

DS is now 14 and did primary in UK so I can't comment on primary schools here, sorry - but I have heard very good things about 1 of the Mudgeeraba primaries - I just can't remember which one - a search on BE should bring up some results though

As far as housing is concerned, Mudge and Bonogin are both fabulous - we are the other side of the motorway which can be a pain if you get caught in the bottle-neck at the motorway junctions, but you get much more house for your money, as well as the beautiful views of the mountains and being surrounded by greenery rather than the next door neighbours' garden

We are only 10 mins from Robina, Burleigh, Nerang, 1hr from Bris, 20mins from Gold Coast airport (Coollangatta) - I could go on and on - I sound like an advert for Gold Coast

I would strongly recommend to anybody who is in the position to, to come out on a reccie trip first and see it for yourselves - there are so many variations, and a couple of km's can make a huge difference to your life - if you get it right, or if you get it wrong !

PM if you want any more info - I am always happy to answer questions

Good luck to all
Old Mar 27th 2009, 11:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

hantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud of

Hi Linzi,

All of the places other people have replied about are all really nice. Its down to personal preference though, what you do have on the Gold Coast is choice. You can live on a smaller older place close to the water, a new place on a small block away from the water, acreage on the western side of the highway, the list goes on and on. The coast is never far away but the northen end of the coast is where the theme parks are so might be good for the kids but Robina end of the Gold Coast is nice all around the area. Only suburb to avoid is Surfers and parts of Southport. We live in Broadbeach Waters which is very central but smaller blocks and to some might be too busy. My advice would be to rent for 6 months somewhere you feel comfortable with a view to settling after a really good look around. Depending on the time of year you come over you can get good deals on holiday let homes to give you a few weeks to look around, might cost you a few more bucks to start with but gives you time. realestate.com.au has loads of holiday lets.

Good luck.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 11:35 pm
Forum Regular

josie jo has a brilliant futurejosie jo has a brilliant futurejosie jo has a brilliant futurejosie jo has a brilliant futurejosie jo has a brilliant futurejosie jo has a brilliant futurejosie jo has a brilliant future

Hi all

we are moving to the gold coast in july and are not sure exactly where to live, was thinking of upper coomera / coomera, but someone earlier said be wary about the new coomera college!! can anyone help with this cause i have a 13 year old and school is important

josie jo
Old Mar 28th 2009, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

folic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond reputefolic has a reputation beyond repute

We love Burleigh Waters, so naturally suggest you give it a look.

My children grew up and attended school there, all the way up to uni level.

We lived in the part that's closest to Burleigh, so it was only a ten minute walk to the beach or very short drive.

Beautiful beaches, esplanade and headland. You can even walk around Burleigh Hill to Tallebudgera, which is a lovely spot for children and fishing.

Everything you need is in Burleigh: post office, banks, shopping. Or just a short drive to West Burleigh or Treetops Shopping centres.

Short walk to the highway and you can catch buses to the north or southern ends of the Coast.

Our children attended Marymount College, and other private and public schools are nearby as well.

Burleigh's a great area for families: churches within walking distance and everything you need. Due to the influx of migrants (both national and international) it becomes more built-up and expensive with each passing year, but still manages to retain its own unique atmosphere.

It's lovely all over the Coast though. You're sure to find a place that feels 'right' for your family
Old Mar 28th 2009, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by folic
We love Burleigh Waters, so naturally suggest you give it a look.

My children grew up and attended school there, all the way up to uni level.

We lived in the part that's closest to Burleigh, so it was only a ten minute walk to the beach or very short drive.

Beautiful beaches, esplanade and headland. You can even walk around Burleigh Hill to Tallebudgera, which is a lovely spot for children and fishing.

Everything you need is in Burleigh: post office, banks, shopping. Or just a short drive to West Burleigh or Treetops Shopping centres.

Short walk to the highway and you can catch buses to the north or southern ends of the

Our children attended Marymount College, and other private and public schools are nearby as well.

Burleigh's a great area for families: churches within walking distance and everything you need. Due to the influx of migrants (both national and international) it becomes more built-up and expensive with each passing year, but still manages to retain its own unique atmosphere.

It's lovely all over the Coast though. You're sure to find a place that feels 'right' for your family

Thanks, this is just what i wanted to here some good feed back on where i was planning on heading or think anyway either there or Pacific Pines, have you been or heard of there?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.