Next moves on moving...

Next moves on moving...

Old Jul 6th 2005, 8:13 pm
Ederdtp

Ederdtp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Next moves on moving...

Hi there.
I guess this is the right place to post the question:
does anybody have a step by step of things that must be done after moving?
Something like:
1 - have an address
2 - get a Tax File Number
3 - open a bank account
4 - ...

and any other thing that must be done in order to properly settle.
I believe I have already seen someone posting something like this here before, so I thank for your replies.

Ederson
Heading Down Under soon
Old Jul 6th 2005, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Next moves on moving...

Hubby and I stayed with my aunt at first so had an address which is important to organise the other things from.

We had already got TFN numbers from when we validated our visa last year on hopliday, but you are right I reckon one of the first things to get organised. Hubby and I got them online. I think you can get them in person at a tax office, where they give you a number sraight away.

The second thing we did was to open a bank account, very easy just needed a passport. Not sure if you would need any proof of address, we had our TFN numbers with our address on them.

We were able to get medicare straight away as we had validated our visa last year, otherwise we would have needed to wait a week or so before we would have been on their computer system.

Australian drivers license depends on what state you are moving to. In Queensland you have three months to take a multiple choice theory test and get your license, you can use UK license up to then. Hubby took his after a couple of months. It made the paperwork easier when we bought our car.

We were lucky in having my aunt to stay with so we didn't have to get furnished accommadation to move into, we also knew what area we wanted to be in as it was close to my family. It took us three weeks to rent a house of our own. Mainly 'cus after we had chosen the house we wanted to rent the agent was unsure of renting to us as hubby had not found a job. We offered to pay a few months rent in advance, which I think helped. Then we had to wait for the tenant to move out. He had to get the carpet steam cleaned.

Hubby was going for job interviews all through this time. He started working in a call centre, which he hated and happily he found the job he is doing now and enjoys after six weeks.

We furnished the house with second hand furniture mainly, mostly from Lifeline and also a few bits from my aunt and cousin. We bought a new washing machine (from birite electricals), and new beds (from Super AMart). We got our kitchen stuff mainly from the Warehouse.

I hope this post is helpfull
Katie
Old Jul 7th 2005, 1:12 pm
Ederdtp

Ederdtp is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank ya KatieStar!!!

Very good good luck for you in your new life and for the baby!!!
Old Jul 7th 2005, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Ederdtp
Thank ya KatieStar!!!

Very good good luck for you in your new life and for the baby!!!
Thanks