Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Newstead or New Farm Brisbane near CBD

Newstead or New Farm Brisbane near CBD

Old Dec 20th 2011, 8:52 pm
Banned

carling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of light
Default Newstead or New Farm Brisbane near CBD

Just out of curiousity, how long would it take to walk from Newstead to Roma Street? Also how long would it take on the bus?

Also, New Farm, could you walk to Roma Street, if so how long?

Does anyone live in the Newstead area, and work in CBD?

Cheers..CBL
Old Dec 20th 2011, 9:04 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newstead or New Farm Brisbane near CBD

Originally Posted by carling black label
Just out of curiousity, how long would it take to walk from Newstead to Roma Street? Also how long would it take on the bus?

Cheers..CBL
For either Newstead or New Farm it depends what part...i.e. how close you'd be to Ann St going through the Valley.

But I reckon you could walk to Roma St station in 30 - 35 minutes from the closer parts of those suburbs. There would be a few bus options heading down that way...including fish.01's favourite bus the 199!

http://translink.com.au/resources/tr...6,199,N199.pdf
Old Dec 20th 2011, 9:11 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers..CBL
Problem with walking it to work is the heat and humidity; I used to walk an hour to work at home with no problem at all, days like today in Brisbane though aren't pleasant to walk in, 8am 26 degrees,80% and even a 15 minute walk to the bus stop isn't fun at all..
Old Dec 20th 2011, 9:37 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Problem with walking it to work is the heat and humidity; I used to walk an hour to work at home with no problem at all, days like today in Brisbane though aren't pleasant to walk in, 8am 26 degrees,80% and even a 15 minute walk to the bus stop isn't fun at all..
It's definitely a shower when you get to work option!

If I was in New Farm or Newstead I'd probably try and cycle...it used to be quite a nice option before the floating walkway floated away!
Old Dec 20th 2011, 9:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
...including fish.01's favourite bus the 199!
.[/URL]
The 199 I think you meant the majestic city glider .

http://mobile.translink.com.au/resou...cityglider.pdf

You would probably just get the train to Roma st.

Also council bikes which you could pick up at new farm and drop off at the train station or at roma st. If you ride under 30 minutes it is free except for a small annual subscription.

Agreed it depends what part...new farm itself might take half an hour to walk end to end.

Some better walkable options to Roma st include Rosalie village in paddington and west end.

Some work places have showers and like Polly said in summer you would sweat. My bike rides have been really pleasant this week but still need a shower at the end. You ride would be shorter and you could ride slow maybe
Old Dec 20th 2011, 10:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers..CBL
You could get the City Cat from New Farm round to North Quay, from there Roma St is only about a 6/7 minute walk. Either that or the City Glider/199 up to the Valley and jump on the train.
Old Dec 20th 2011, 10:14 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by fish.01
The 199 I think you meant the majestic city glider .
I thought I had it wrong...knew it had a better name than just 'buz'!
Old Dec 20th 2011, 10:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Jeez polly, you're a crap weather forecaster...read your post and thought it was going to be a balmy morning cycle - even put sunscreen on - instead it was cold and rained on me

Last edited by fish.01; Dec 20th 2011 at 10:43 pm.
Old Dec 20th 2011, 10:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bcworld
I thought I had it wrong...knew it had a better name than just 'buz'!
Though the 199 was in a song so of course it's cool too The glider is the only mode of transport in Brisbane that is every 5 minutes in peak hour and 10-15 outside peak. A glimpse of the distant future.
Old Dec 21st 2011, 1:22 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Jeez polly, you're a crap weather forecaster...read your post and thought it was going to be a balmy morning cycle - even put sunscreen on - instead it was cold and rained on me
Certainly wasnt cold!! I caught the end of the rain but it was hot and sticky - they were actuals not a forecast!
Old Dec 21st 2011, 2:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Certainly wasnt cold!! I caught the end of the rain but it was hot and sticky - they were actuals not a forecast!
My mistake...I thought it was close enough in time to use your actuals as a forecast...should have put a jumper on instead
Old Dec 21st 2011, 4:18 am
Forum Regular

Brisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to behold

My mistake...I thought it was close enough in time to use your actuals as a forecast...should have put a jumper on instead
I was on a motorbike but was still sweating like an unsuccessful rapist by the time I got to work.

+1 for the City Cat. I find walking here is ok, just go a bit slower than the UK where it was nice to tab it out at a fair pace. You're going to sweat, get over it.
Old Dec 21st 2011, 9:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Brisneyland
I was on a motorbike but was still sweating like an unsuccessful rapist by the time I got to work.

+1 for the City Cat. I find walking here is ok, just go a bit slower than the UK where it was nice to tab it out at a fair pace. You're going to sweat, get over it.
Yeah, I still sweated as well, has to be freezing before I don't sweat on a 7km cycle...just not as much as expected as cool breeze and coldish rain drops (for summer) assaulted me instead of the expected hot and balmy....I evidently timed it wrong though it was quite pleasant...might hope for more of the same tomorrow

I could be wrong but I don't think regular walking is much of an option in summer without a shower at work. Even walking slow you're bound to be too sweaty in office clothes over any sort of distance.

Last edited by fish.01; Dec 21st 2011 at 9:42 am.
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 3:25 pm
Banned

carling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.

I ask about walking mainly because i will be walking from...to CBD after 6pm at night, and back to .... before 6am in the morning. I know still humid in the summer but bearable. Bar/nightclub work....

The area of Newstead i am looking to guage in terms of A to B in terms of distance measured by walking time is Helen Street, Newstead to Roma Street Station. It just gives me an idea of how far it is, the map is misleading, Brisbane looks small on a PC map.

The area of NewFarm i am looking to guage in terms of A to B in terms of distance measured by walking time is Dixon Street, NewFarm to Roma Street Station.

Thanks for any feedback.
Attached Thumbnails Newstead or New Farm Brisbane near CBD-untitled.jpg  

Last edited by carling black label; Dec 22nd 2011 at 3:31 pm.
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.

I ask about walking mainly because i will be walking from...to CBD after 6pm at night, and back to .... before 6am in the morning. I know still humid in the summer but bearable. Bar/nightclub work....

The area of Newstead i am looking to guage in terms of A to B in terms of distance measured by walking time is Helen Street, Newstead to Roma Street Station. It just gives me an idea of how far it is, the map is misleading, Brisbane looks small on a PC map.

The area of NewFarm i am looking to guage in terms of A to B in terms of distance measured by walking time is Dixon Street, NewFarm to Roma Street Station.

Thanks for any feedback.
From New Farm I'd say 40-45mins. When I had my temporary aprtment in the Valley I walked up and down Brunswick street quite a bit, I would expect that to take 15-20mins, then another 20-25 to Roma St, I really would take the train though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.