Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

newstartnz - follow up query.

newstartnz - follow up query.

Old Aug 27th 2002, 8:33 am
  #1  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2002
Location: Swift Current, SK
Posts: 695
Smokey is on a distinguished road
Default newstartnz - follow up query.

Hullo again,
A while ago we were talking about GST as follows:-

'Bad news, only immigrants and New Zealanders who have nbeen outside NZ for more than 21 months are given the tax-free concession on goods brought into NZ.

However, if you came to NZ with the intention of shortly gaining PR, you can pay a bond to customs instead of immediately paying the tax, and when you get PR you can claim back your bond.'

Can you tell me a bit more about the "shortly" bit?? I assume there must be a timescale ont his but do you know how long? There's probably a phrase or name for this type of bond but I can't find anything on the Customs site - do you know what it's called???

Thanks (oh knowledgable one!)
pat.
Smokey is offline  
Old Aug 27th 2002, 1:03 pm
  #2  
Ian Guy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: newstartnz - follow up query.

We came on work visa and shipped all our stuff, we were intending to apply for PR
(and subsequently have it). I asked the High Commission in London and they said as
long as the goods were rightfully ours and had been charged VAT in the UK, then
there wasn't a problem (we actually had 2 new beds, so things were not all over 21
months old!)

"Smokey" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hullo again, A while ago we were talking about GST as follows:-
    > 'Bad news, only immigrants and New Zealanders who have nbeen outside NZ for more
    > than 21 months are given the tax-free concession on goods brought into NZ.
    > However, if you came to NZ with the intention of shortly gaining PR, you can pay a
    > bond to customs instead of immediately paying the tax, and when you get PR you can
    > claim back your bond.'
    > Can you tell me a bit more about the "shortly" bit?? I assume there must be a
    > timescale ont his but do you know how long? There's probably a phrase or name for
    > this type of bond but I can't find anything on the Customs site - do you know what
    > it's called???
    > Thanks (oh knowledgable one!) pat.
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com
 
Old Aug 27th 2002, 5:45 pm
  #3  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2002
Location: Swift Current, SK
Posts: 695
Smokey is on a distinguished road
Default Re: newstartnz - follow up query.

Hi,
The problem is that if the chap with the NVQ (sorry forgotten name whilst typing!) has not received any points for it them I won't be able to apply for PR, hence the question about time limit. It actually could take years for us to be in a position to go for it ie the amount of time it takes to get a degree as a worst case scenario. Interestingly I've jsut had Britannia round to give me a quote on shipping and in their blurb they say '....you must be able to show you are planning to take up permanent residence....' they mention buying houses and depositing funds etc. As we'll be back in the big smoke in October do you think it'll be worth making the effort to go see them?? Would they give me just an answer quoted from the manual (which happened when I emailed with a query)?
Regards,Pat.



Originally posted by Ian Guy:
We came on work visa and shipped all our stuff, we were intending to apply for PR
(and subsequently have it). I asked the High Commission in London and they said as
long as the goods were rightfully ours and had been charged VAT in the UK, then
there wasn't a problem (we actually had 2 new beds, so things were not all over 21
months old!)

"Smokey" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hullo again, A while ago we were talking about GST as follows:-
    > 'Bad news, only immigrants and New Zealanders who have nbeen outside NZ for more
    > than 21 months are given the tax-free concession on goods brought into NZ.
    > However, if you came to NZ with the intention of shortly gaining PR, you can pay a
    > bond to customs instead of immediately paying the tax, and when you get PR you can
    > claim back your bond.'
    > Can you tell me a bit more about the "shortly" bit?? I assume there must be a
    > timescale ont his but do you know how long? There's probably a phrase or name for
    > this type of bond but I can't find anything on the Customs site - do you know what
    > it's called???
    > Thanks (oh knowledgable one!) pat.
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com
Smokey is offline  
Old Aug 28th 2002, 11:24 am
  #4  
Ian Guy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: newstartnz - follow up query.

Pat, if you're a tradesperson, you'll be able to get a work visa. There is loads of
needs for skilled people (beware though, the likes of electricians have to be
registered, and hence do loads of exams here OR work under the direction of an NZ
reg'd sparky - which means subbing and pants money)

The NZQA folk are the pits. Basically if your quals match something here, then great.
Unfortunatley NVQ stuff hasn't really got any parallel here, so they can't see the
wood for the trees.

I went to London as a part of the process (trying to speed things up, as well as
getting a new passport). It was worth it for me - they couldn't do my PR in time, as
they needed my NZ nursing reg, which was approved (had a fax to say so), but as I
didn't have the cert they couldn't progress it. I arranged a work visa and thought
I'd just get the wife and kids through on visiotrs visa's - wrong!! The 7 and 5 year
old needed student visas ($300 each I think) so they could go to school. If I hadn't
gone I'd have been charged school fees! So, if you're in town I'd say go. "Smokey"
<[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, The problem is that if the chap with the NVQ (sorry forgotten name whilst
    > typing!) has not received any points for it them I won't be able to apply for PR,
    > hence the question about time limit. It actually could take years for us to be in a
    > position to go for it ie the amount of time it takes to get a degree as a worst
    > case scenario. Interestingly I've jsut had Britannia round to give me a quote on
    > shipping and in their blurb they say '....you must be able to show you are planning
    > to take up permanent residence....' they mention buying houses and depositing funds
    > etc. As we'll be back in the big smoke in October do you think it'll be worth
    > making the effort to go see them?? Would they give me just an answer quoted from
    > the manual (which happened when I emailed with a query)? Regards,Pat.
    > Originally posted by Ian Guy:
    > > We came on work visa and shipped all our stuff, we were intending to apply for PR
    > > (and subsequently have it). I asked the High Commission in London and they said
    > > as long as the goods were rightfully ours and had been charged VAT in the UK,
    > > then there wasn't a problem (we actually had 2 new beds, so things were not all
    > > over 21 months old!)
    > >
    > > "Smokey" wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]
    > > itishexpats.comnews:[email protected] s.com...
    > > > Hullo again, A while ago we were talking about GST as follows:- 'Bad news, only
    > > > immigrants and New Zealanders who have nbeen outside NZ for more than 21 months
    > > > are given the tax-free concession on goods brought into NZ. However, if you
    > > > came to NZ with the intention of shortly gaining PR, you can pay a bond to
    > > > customs instead of immediately paying the tax, and when you get PR you can
    > > > claim back your bond.' Can you tell me a bit more about the "shortly" bit?? I
    > > > assume there must be a timescale ont his but do you know how long? There's
    > > > probably a phrase or name for this type of bond but I can't find anything on
    > > > the Customs site - do you know what it's called??? Thanks (oh knowledgable
    > > > one!) pat.
    > > > --
    > > > Posted via http://bri-
    > > > tishexpats.com/http://britishexpats.com

    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com
 
Old Aug 28th 2002, 1:14 pm
  #5  
Forum Regular
 
lizzie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2002
Location: lancashire
Posts: 236
lizzie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: newstartnz - follow up query.

Originally posted by Ian Guy:
I arranged a work visa and thought
I'd just get the wife and kids through on visiotrs visa's - wrong!! The 7 and 5 year
old needed student visas ($300 each I think) so they could go to school. If I hadn't
gone I'd have been charged school fees!
Ian,

I have just picked up on this part of your post which is of interest to me in particular. We have just received notification that we can apply for the work visa (in order to obtain PR) and with it an application for a visitors visa was sent for me and the kids. I had virtually decided to wait here in UK and sell house whilst children continued at school (apparently they would lose their places here if we were to return at a later date). I had not realised that they could perhaps go to school in NZ before we get PR on a Student Visa. Are they difficult to obtain (apart from the fee!) as I am wondering why NZIS never mentioned it in their letter as they are fully aware of the children's ages.

Lizzie
lizzie is offline  
Old Aug 28th 2002, 5:48 pm
  #6  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2002
Location: Swift Current, SK
Posts: 695
Smokey is on a distinguished road
Default Re: newstartnz - follow up query.

hi Ian,
Be nice if life were so simple to say I was a tradesman! I'm not bad at plastering/rendering and do a mean wallpaper however my NVQ is in a nice generic 'Customer services' gained whilst working for the government (believe it or not!!!!)

I just wish that Bryher would repost something to say if he's going to appeal or even if he knows he can.
think I'll have a trip up there - it'll get me away fromt eh mother-in-law for a day!

pat.

Originally posted by Ian Guy:
Pat, if you're a tradesperson, you'll be able to get a work visa. There is loads of
needs for skilled people (beware though, the likes of electricians have to be
registered, and hence do loads of exams here OR work under the direction of an NZ
reg'd sparky - which means subbing and pants money)

The NZQA folk are the pits. Basically if your quals match something here, then great.
Unfortunatley NVQ stuff hasn't really got any parallel here, so they can't see the
wood for the trees.

I went to London as a part of the process (trying to speed things up, as well as
getting a new passport). It was worth it for me - they couldn't do my PR in time, as
they needed my NZ nursing reg, which was approved (had a fax to say so), but as I
didn't have the cert they couldn't progress it. I arranged a work visa and thought
I'd just get the wife and kids through on visiotrs visa's - wrong!! The 7 and 5 year
old needed student visas ($300 each I think) so they could go to school. If I hadn't
gone I'd have been charged school fees! So, if you're in town I'd say go. "Smokey"
<[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, The problem is that if the chap with the NVQ (sorry forgotten name whilst
    > typing!) has not received any points for it them I won't be able to apply for PR,
    > hence the question about time limit. It actually could take years for us to be in a
    > position to go for it ie the amount of time it takes to get a degree as a worst
    > case scenario. Interestingly I've jsut had Britannia round to give me a quote on
    > shipping and in their blurb they say '....you must be able to show you are planning
    > to take up permanent residence....' they mention buying houses and depositing funds
    > etc. As we'll be back in the big smoke in October do you think it'll be worth
    > making the effort to go see them?? Would they give me just an answer quoted from
    > the manual (which happened when I emailed with a query)? Regards,Pat.
    > Originally posted by Ian Guy:
    > > We came on work visa and shipped all our stuff, we were intending to apply for PR
    > > (and subsequently have it). I asked the High Commission in London and they said
    > > as long as the goods were rightfully ours and had been charged VAT in the UK,
    > > then there wasn't a problem (we actually had 2 new beds, so things were not all
    > > over 21 months old!)
    > >
    > > "Smokey" wrote in message
    > > news:397525.103[email protected]
    > > itishexpats.comnews:[email protected] s.com...
    > > > Hullo again, A while ago we were talking about GST as follows:- 'Bad news, only
    > > > immigrants and New Zealanders who have nbeen outside NZ for more than 21 months
    > > > are given the tax-free concession on goods brought into NZ. However, if you
    > > > came to NZ with the intention of shortly gaining PR, you can pay a bond to
    > > > customs instead of immediately paying the tax, and when you get PR you can
    > > > claim back your bond.' Can you tell me a bit more about the "shortly" bit?? I
    > > > assume there must be a timescale ont his but do you know how long? There's
    > > > probably a phrase or name for this type of bond but I can't find anything on
    > > > the Customs site - do you know what it's called??? Thanks (oh knowledgable
    > > > one!) pat.
    > > > --
    > > > Posted via http://bri-
    > > > tishexpats.com/http://britishexpats.com

    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com
Smokey is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.